1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Proposed Rule Change for 350GP EXCEPT FOR VMD

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by videojack, May 6, 2019.

1. videojack

videojack Racing for Therapy

For the many benefits, including reducing closing times for the vintage bikes being lapped by Kayla and her followers, and since the 350K is restricted to using CV carbs, I propose that for all 350GP racers that have only the 500GP to race in, have the CV carb restrictions lifted for all races except for VMD, requiring OEM CV carb restrictions, when racing the 350K in a 350GP race.

2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Or how about proposed change for Honda 350's in 500GP? That way I don't have to touch the actual 350 GP rule :D

videojack likes this.
  3. I’m with Jack on lifting the carb restriction. I need every once of juice I can get out there!

videojack likes this.
  4. videojack

I think we all get the idea. I'm keeping my 350GP kit for VMD. Changing the rules for 350k Hondas in the 500GP makes all the sense in the world.

Consider this:

"For the use in 500GP racing, the CB/CL/SL 350K series Honda twins MAY have Unlimited/ANY naturally aspirated carburetors, no fuel injection "

Means there's nothing that needs differentiation and they are still 335cc, 2 valve per cylinder, twin street bikes.

And, no reference need be made to their traditional operation within GP350 indexing.

5. videojack

Maybe we can bring some V1 guys back on stocker motors with a little more zip?

6. 83BSA

83BSA Well-Known Member

Flat slides? Pumpers? Really? How about making that specification apply to all 500GP bikes, not just the modern Hondas running in a vintage class?

Cheers,

Dave

james walker and videojack like this.
  7. videojack

Dave,

Are you coming out to the WERA track this year? Hope to see you at Roebling!

I had to look up pumpers. Interesting what I came up with:
    PUMPER CARBURETORS. ¶ Pumper carbs, also called Diaphragm or Pressure Pulse Carburetors, are used primarily on chain saws, weed eaters and other small engines. The unique thing about pumper carbs is that they can work in any position because they have no float bowel and they do have a fuel pump.

I have no problem with ruling out pumper carburetors.

However, I am hoping to use the $44 (carbs and boots) investment in a 30mm flat slide setup if this passes.

Even the 30mm round slides would be helpful.

8. DougBowie

DougBowie Well-Known Member

If you want Honda to have V1 rules .... run V1 and bump up... if not , stick to the rules or move on ......

james walker and joec like this.
  9. joec

joec brace yourself

Damn.... We used to bump to v3 with our stockers! No dog in this fight really, but vrra allows the mikuni swap in p1 up to 30mm. Minimal hp increase but significant throttle response increase. I did mine. I just figured I'd bump when racing here.

videojack likes this.
  10. 83BSA

83BSA Well-Known Member

If flat slides are to be permitted, for all bikes, then they should be period flat slides.

Candidly, I'm against flat slides in vintage racing. It creates and opens not just a can, but a 55 gallon drum, of worms in interpretation and enforcement. Restrict carbs to round slides and the multiple issues disappear. Why complicate things? Why make the endeavor yet more expensive?

Cheers,

Dave

james walker, videojack and joec like this.
  11. Robin172

Robin172 Well-Known Member

So is a Gardner OK or not?

12. 83BSA

83BSA Well-Known Member

A Gardner would be period. Of course, there are different generations of Gardner. I have an original Gardner from the 1960's. The sides all screw together with small machine screws. I also have a late model Gardner - identical in appearance and configuration - in which the body is a single cast piece. I do not suggest that purely originals (screwed together bodies) be required. It is an interesting museum piece, and I have raced it, but . . . .

Whether it is "ok" will be a function of the rule, . . . . yet to be determined.

Cheers,

Dave

joec likes this.
  13. Robin172

Robin172 Well-Known Member

What about smoothbore carbs?

14. Scott K

Scott K New Member

I'm open to Jack's suggestion, whatever may help increase participation.

15. joec

joec brace yourself

It's not just a matter of doing carbs and intake boots. The cables and throttle need to be modified or replaced from stock also.

videojack likes this.
  16. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Those are already allowed per SS rules.

17. videojack

Good point on the cables.
    I've found that Honda CB160/175/200 throttle cables can easily be made to work on the inexpensive carbs.
    The throttle control end of the cable connects to Honda 350 control just fine.
    $7.50

Last edited: May 7, 2019
  18. videojack

This suggested rule modification is for the 350K Hondas, limiting them in the GP350 class. Except for VMD, we don't have a GP350 class. Our 350K limitations are for use in that class, that no longer exists, except when racing VMD. It is a proposed change to the 500GP class rules only.

19. DougBowie

DougBowie Well-Known Member

Still makes it a V1 bike , and V1 is not eligible for 500 gp.... just leave rules alone and have fun.... carb issues are not the problem with lack of bikes on the grid , will just make things worst.... and changing your carbs are not going to help you not get lap by fast kids on modern faster bikes.... stupid excuse to try to cheat and turn your bike towards a V1 bike .....

joec likes this.
  20. videojack

"Still makes it a V1 bike..."

Actually, there was a time when it would have turned a 350GP Honda twin a Vintage 1 class bike. Both classes, V1 and 350GP ONLY EXIST at VMD in the new world. So, things aren't "the way we've always done it" any more, and nor do the rules need to be such either.

joec likes this.