1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Proper gearing 2013 gsxr750

Discussion in 'Tech' started by russomf, Jun 21, 2022.

1. russomf

russomf Well-Known Member

I know this depends on the track but I have 2 friends with the same year and cc bike. All 3 are geared differently. Mine is 15/47, on friend is 16/45 stock the other is 15/44. We all run within 1-2 seconds of pace for the most part. I tend to top out 6th on our home track, stock is bouncing off 4th and other buddy is in 5th.

My questions is because 5th and 6th are geared for higher speeds and have a lower ratio am I losing drive and top speed? I know I shift more but it seems like they can walk me under power because I am trying to overcome the ratio in the higher gears. Is this valid or am I off base. BTW top end is 6th is right around 155.

2. DaveB

DaveB Just Riding Around

2013 750 stock gearing is 17/45, not 16/45. At most tracks I ran a 16 front and varied from a 44-47 rear but that will vary rider to rider. There is a lot more to gearing including where/how your bike makes power and where in the rpm range you are exiting critical corners. Try reading this for an example of why you may choose certain gearing for a track, I found this with a quick Google search but it does address some of it: https://lifeatlean.com/finding-the-right-gear-and-rev-range/

There can and will be more to it but this at least will get you thinking about it.

long path/road likes this.
  3. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

There are far more corners than long straights on most tracks.

I gear for corner entry and corner exit. Too short of gearing into a corner makes it very difficult to carry good corner speed. And too short at exit can make you shift early and often, reducing drive slightly. Too tall on entry is comfortable and fast, until it kills your drive. But if you corner speed is that much better and you drive off the edge of the tire, the taller gear will be faster.

4. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

why would you put a 3.13 final drive on a 750? You must have to row the heck out of the shifter.
    Stock 600s run ~ 2.81.

long path/road likes this.
  5. russomf

russomf Well-Known Member

Bought the bike thos way just never paid attention to how often I shift and this plastic weekend spent the day mixing it up with w friends and we started talking what gears they were in. I ended up being a gear up everywhere.

6. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

7. rymerc

rymerc Well-Known Member

I gear my '07 750 to pull to indicated 14k in 6th at the highest speed point, which GPS says is right at 144mph. With good draft/wind magic I can get to 151mph and not overrev.

Gearing commander info is all wrong for my bike, not sure what's up with that but oh well that's with a 44T rear. Gearing it shorter with a 46T rear loses me between 3 and 5 tenths everything else being equal.

8. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

seems like you are down quite a few MPH...
    Ive seen that vintage 750 go ~140 mph in the 1/4. I would imagine the top speed to be in the 160s at the very least.
    Did someone secretly replace the engine with a 600cc mill? Its been done the other way in CCS here. :)

Senna and Steeltoe like this.
  9. rymerc

rymerc Well-Known Member

That's back-straight speed at Mid Ohio.

LOL I've wondered if I was down on power before! Seems to stop pulling well early, but I can usually get around 636s on the back straight no prob.

10. gixxerboy55

gixxerboy55 Well-Known Member

Check your valves,I had one of them,and the valves were way tight.