1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Procore - Construction Management Software

Discussion in 'General' started by Hawk518, Feb 13, 2016.

1. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

I was wondering if the "all-knowing" BBS could offer some words of wisdom based on experience with Procore Construction Management Software.

Both positive and negative comments are welcome.
    In advance, thank you.

2. Sprinky

Sprinky Well-Known Member

Coming from a subcontractor's perspective, it's OK from the various ones that we're forced to use (Procore, Textura Submittal Exchange, Various FTP sites). Procore and Submittal Exchange seem like they send out a TON of emails everytime something is updated. That's great for you CM's but I could really give a shit less about updated paint colors from RFI #2671. Sarcasm aside, this desensitizes me to the real important emails that it sends like new CB's, submittal approvals, etc. They just get washed out with all the other non-important ones.

I CAN see it being a good program for the CM's as a good place to store and organize the different submittals, RFI's, CB's, etc on large projects. How things are named and saved becomes REALLY important especially if the project is really fluid. It's easy to start looking at old drawings or specs if you click on the wrong one if the new docs are mixed with the old ones. My suggestion is to make a drawing date part of your naming protocol. It's frustrating waiting to open a drawing, zoom into the revision block only to see that you're on a out of date drawing. Keeping a spreadsheet of what drawing / doc is the current one is REALLY helpful, at least to me.

If you have a good project engineer who can keep it updated, it should be a fairly smooth program to use.

Hawk518 likes this.
  3. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

I appreciate the time you took to go into details/examples.
    Thanks.

4. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

I will be trusted with structural design (libraries), and report (via Tableau).
    I submitted your comments (unfiltered) to my VP.

There is a lot of value, to what you said.

I share similar caution with respect to the email notices.
    I have utilized SharePoint previously and after a point, no one pays attention to the emails.

You experience with "waiting" time, we will raise with the provider. We cannot have this.

I generally do a good job with document control. However, I prefer to use dates on documents to "kill" them. :)
    I link to many files to have each go through a naming change every time. Procore appears to provide a similar file/history as SharePoint which should help minimize my concerns here.

I agree that a document/drawing/(anything) log is crucial.

5. Sprinky

Sprinky Well-Known Member

I don't think it's anything on the providers side. It just takes some time to open large drawing files. My point was when you spend a minute or so opening an outdated file it gets frustrating. It ties directly into my comments about document management.

Hawk518 likes this.
  6. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

Thanks for clarifying. I got the document control thing under control. I think. :)

7. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

I'm so old school....I still keep a stick file of key drawings (in E size, no less). In a crisis when the boss has a wild hair UIA. It has been handy to be able to pull out the stick file and get him squared away. Don'r know anything about your programs, we use an in-house custom program.

Hawk518 likes this.
  8. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

Moto, I don't plan to trash the reports that I have designed/implemented over the years thanks to many lessons learned. To me they continue to serve as "lie dectectors" or "fault detection."

I am a bit excited about the challenge of duplicating some of my reports/dashboard on the new system.

The one thing that I like about using a system like Procore is the APP that will allow me instant access to data immediately after it is entered in the field. There are time that the data take forever. I am glad the new employer is being progressive about taking the next step forward.

9. Bajan

Bajan New Member

10. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

$75xhr's+(materials+50%)+(subs+50%) = new dirt bike

11. eppy01f4i

eppy01f4i Well-Known Member

Nailed it.

I still receive a slew of emails from projects that finished 2+ years ago but the GC never stopped the automated emails.
    They are filed under junk any typically get filtered out as they continue.

I cringe when I see a bid invite using Procore.

12. Pitmom42

Pitmom42 Active Member

I despise Procore because of all the emails. Also, there are project managers who don't know basic filing rules and its too easy to put things in the wrong locations.
    Of course I am on the Architectural/Engineering side of the project which Procore is not setup for us like Submittal Exchange is. Submittal Exchange is a lot better for both sides of managing the project, but it is more expensive. Of course its charged to the Owner's contract anyway!
    We also like the closeout documents in Submittal exchange as a whole file to the owner's and us as well. I don't have a Procore project in closeout yet so I am not familiar what the output product is since the GC is the owner through Procore on the ones I have.
    Ebuilder is awful!

13. R Acree

R Acree Banned

From the owner's side I like it marginally better than Constructware. Then again, I hated constructware.