1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Price check, RS250

Discussion in '2-Stroke Machines' started by SpeedyE, Oct 11, 2019.

1. SpeedyE

SpeedyE Experimental prototype, never meant for production

Looking to get an estimate on fair price on an old friend's bike.

1986 RS250.
    History....
    1986-1988: unknown.
    1989: raced in amatuer 3-4x a year.
    1990: Raced 1x (expert sprint race)... (me).
    Retired.

Body has been painted, not factory paint. Bike was already painted when he got it in 1989.
    Saw no crashes on it from 89-90, nor saw any crash damage on it when I rode it......bike tracked-straight, handled correct, ran correct/strong in 1990, when it was retired. Possibly never been crashed, not for sure though.

I am guessing the bike is still owned by him (VERY wealthy....no need to sell anything) sitting under 3" of dust, w zero spares left. I am guessing the bike is the bike, same as when I last saw it, and all spares are gone/used/lost at this point.
    If he still has the bike, what is fair price?

If the honest value is low enuff, might have mom try and buy it for me, and do a ground up restore/paint for fun/therapy, and hopes that I may be able to TD it in the distant future.
    Thank you for any guesstimations.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2019
  2. SpeedWerks Racing

SpeedWerks Racing Well-Known Member

8-10K would be retail in decent shape, spares are tough to find for the ND5.

SpeedyE likes this.
  3. SpeedyE

That's a Whole lot more than I thought it was worth :( That's off the table.....
    Have to make a plan-B, haha.
    Might buy my buddies basket case RD350 and do something fun with it, machine-shop/fab wise.

Thanks for the info and price estimation :flag:

4. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

Why not buy something practical to restore you can maybe ride, someday?

I bought a ‘98 VFR, a bike I’d always wanted. I stripped it to the frame, stripped the harness, powdercoated, polished, modified, and so forth, over several months. Now, I have an awesome 5th Gen VFR I can enjoy, for the times I’m not bed-ridden; like you, I have good days and bad.

083141A8-8069-45DB-9209-F6877D99C4A7.jpeg

418, britx303 and SpeedyE like this.
  5. SpeedyE

Thanks brother <3 Im way past bed-ridden now, good days/bad days is the norm, but physically functional....im physically rehabbing my moms house now :) Dont know if I will ever have the confidence/focus to ever ride a bike, I am trapped in fight(I got no fight in me)/flight/freeze mentally/physiology, but making good progress....no more nightmares/bedwetting, panic attacks are less frequent, getting my balance back ....I think building or restoring a bike will be good therapy.
    I want to do exactly what you did, frame-up restore/rebuild......Your bike looks AweSome!!!!:clap::cool::clap:
    Thank you for the post/pic <3

Last edited: Oct 14, 2019
  6. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

Oh my lawdy thats nice!!

ducnut likes this.
  7. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

Thank you.

I’m dealing with the intermittent vestibular issues, as well (and other stuff). Getting out on a bike helps with balance and mental health, so I don’t end up back at PT. I’ve been looking at XT250’s for something smaller than my Tiger 800. If I get down on the Yamaha, I can easily get it picked up. The bodywork bikes stay parked, when I’m “off”.

I started with a CPAP, ~10 months ago. Because it gets me into REM, I’m having way more frequent nightmares. Broke my right, big toe, because of them. I don’t feel any better, either. But, I’m counting on it to help mitigate other health issues, as I continue to age.

SpeedyE likes this.
  8. britx303

Hey speedy,Im not sure what you are going through and its none of my business to ask,but good luck to you Sir. I have a rd350 project racebike I am letting go,and will damn near give it to you if it helps you through whatever it is.

9. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

Just remember: Your friend may have a different perspective on selling the bike to you than what the market may demand for the bike. It never hurts to ask your friend if he wants to sell it to you, then you can start the conversation about purchasing it.

Another option to consider may be to offer your restoration services to your friend, where he pays for the parts and you perform the labor, for free, but your labor is contingent that you get to ride it on the track when it's complete.

As my wife always reminds me: "If you don't ask, you don't get." You never know what the other party will do until you initiate the conversation. There may be a great path to success based on the goodwill of both parties, and I am sure that the group here will help you find the right resources to guide you.

ducnut and SpeedyE like this.
  10. SpeedyE

Thank you, Very much <3 :)

:) Thank you Again <3

Throughout my trials/tribulations/problems, the Beeb family has always been there for me, always been my family <3
    This the most wonderful place on the www ..... a fun bloodbath, but Family <3

When I tell my streetriding friends about WERA, I always say it is like a fraternity/brotherhood.....once WERA, always WERA <3

ducnut likes this.
  11. britx303

:beer:

SpeedyE likes this.
  12. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

Thank you.

It’s pretty full-on, with an extra-long Penske 8983, F3 frontend with Traxxion internals, Braking rotors, Core Moto lines, SS header with a Staintune, cut and polished bodywork with Tape Works graphics, Sargent seat, AS3 silicone hoses, every aluminum part has been polished, de-link, internally routed rear brake line, and on and on. Way too much money in it.

Much cleaner looking than stock, not having a chainguard and brake lines along the top.
    0AD124EB-6B54-4BD6-8657-08A283B774F1.jpeg

It’s pretty jacked up.
    88786EA1-25E4-478F-80AD-DBE1E6C522BC.jpeg

Phl218 likes this.
  13. SpeedyE

My issues are being figured ouit to be something else than i originally thought/self-diagnosed.
    I will tell you brother, I know what Hell is, and my heart goes out to you.
    Please look into hyperbaric oxygen chamber therapy <3

ducnut likes this.
  14. SpeedyE

That Bike is Goergeous!
    Thank you for sharing the pics, and Big props for the rebuild/restore

ducnut likes this.
  15. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

Thank you. Further motivation, I hope. ;)

SpeedyE likes this.
  16. SpeedyE

<3 :)

ducnut likes this.
  17. SpeedyE

[​IMG]

<3

ducnut likes this.
  18. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

My hope is Mayo can help me, as I have an open case with them. Once I can figure out how to get down there (JAX), I can make appointments. I’ll have to have to stay horizontal for the duration of the trip, which means a van or SUV with a large enough cargo area to lay down, plus a driver. An Amtrak sleeper car is huge money and a way out-of-route trip. I’ll get it figured out, at some point.

SpeedyE likes this.
  19. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

I dunno... I'm thinking more like 6500-7000. Unknown motor condition, no spares. I struggled to get 11k for my very nice 4TW, so I think the market is a little soft at the moment. Good luck @SpeedyE

SpeedyE likes this.
  20. RGV 500

RGV 500 OLD, but still FAST

I would think it would have to be gone through from front to back. Might be clean, but sitting around doesn't do seals any favors. I would be in the 4 to 5 range.