1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pressure washers

Discussion in 'General' started by 2Fer, May 7, 2014.

1. 2Fer

2Fer Is good

I am tired of renting them when I need one so I am finally breaking down and buying one, but not sure which one. The following are features I need. Gas powered, belt driven, wheels, at or under $2000. I am not sure if I should get a 5.0GPM/3000 PSI unit or a 3.5GPM/4000 PSI unit. the 5.0 GPM from Northern Tool is $200 more but not sure if it will be worth it. Primary use will be on concrete decks and slabs.

2. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

3. 2Fer

2Fer Is good

Long term durability. Unit will be used to power a rotary surface cleaner.

4. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

I would look for one with a Honda engine in it.

5. Phl218

Phl218 .

6. SBKBee

SBKBee Owner: FZ hotel

Yamaha has entered that line recently and they look well built.

7. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

Does this cleaner have any power requirements?

8. 2Fer

2Fer Is good

Looking at 2 from northern tool. Both have the honda engine. One is 3.5 gpm at 4000 psi the other is $200 more and is 5.0 gpm at 3000 psi. Not sure if the higher pressure or higher volume will be better.

9. stymie12000

stymie12000 Well-Known Member

I have the same husq. I found it at lowes on clearance for $189. Best tool purchas I've made.

10. Venom51

How many nozzles on the head? 2x 15 degree nozzles won't be hurt by less volume. Also part of your choice should be the fuel tank capacity . The smaller tanks will drive you nuts refilling all the time.

Is this one of the units you are considering?

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200595283_200595283

I can say that the unit I have runs my 2 nozzle 24" head at pressures high enough that you have to physically hold the thing down or it tries to lift off.

Last edited: May 8, 2014
  11. GixxerBlade

GixxerBlade Oh geez

I agree with fuel cap...seems like I'm always having to refill mine every 30 minutes.

12. 2Fer

2Fer Is good

The surface cleaner has 2 rotating nozzels. These are the 2 units I am looking at. 1 2

13. Venom51

Neither of those have the capacity to run that head at full flow. It call for 8 gpm which seems oddly high.

The small fuel tanks will be an issue. It'll always run out 5 minutes before you get done doing the job.

14. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Do those surface cleaners blast overspray everywhere like an open tip, or is it minimal? I guess I'm asking if one could be used in a garage, without saturating the walls too badly?

15. lee955i

lee955i The Traveling Gnome

16. 2Fer

2Fer Is good

Very little over spray when using a surface cleaner so there shouldn't be any problems using in a garage especially if you are careful.

17. 2Fer

2Fer Is good

The surface cleaners I have used in the past have worked fine with 3.5-4.0 gpm. The surface cleaners will handle pretty much as much water as you can push throw them.

18. Venom51

Surface cleaners are awesome. No blow back and a nice even clean.

19. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

Go for high gpm.

I have 3 different Briggs v twin washers and they are all still chugging along 15 years later. 2 Hondas as well but the Briggs have more balls.

For pump get a general, comet, or annovi revereberi. You can get parts ten years from now.

Either way, get electric start and high gpm. Pull starting the big stuff is impossible if temp gets under 50.

If you want the pump plungers to last stay on the trigger at all times. If not spraying shut it off.

20. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

Northern tool used to have a 5gpm 5kpsi unit. I would buy that with a dual rotator lance. With #3 nozzles.