1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Preping a YSR

Discussion in 'Mini Racing' started by baconologist, Dec 13, 2014.

1. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

Is a steering stab required on the mini's?
    front pads wired?
    I'll wire the drain and fill.
    the bike's set up for premix, all of the oil injection stuff is gone.
    The kill switch works.
    all lights are gone with the aftermarket bodywork.

what else am I missing?

2. AssClown

AssClown Well-Known Member

When I was racing 50's I didn't see anyone with a steering stabilizer. Doesn't mean it wont help, but i never felt it was necessary riding one.

As for prepping the bike, check the rules with what ever org you are going to race with. They very slightly from group to group.

Also the YSRs don't have the most reliable engine. Definitely don't use it for any endurance races. We tried to use one for a 24hr race, and went through two cranks before we threw in the towel. I just don't think they were designed for hard use. Find a NSR50 or XR100 motor to throw in it, if you can. But also check with the org you are riding with to make sure its allowed.

3. baconologist

thanks!
    The goal is WERA kids class. I don't think they do enduro's.

4. backcountryme

backcountryme Word to your mother.

An XR is an easy swap. I have done it. Plus the 4 stoke is easier to ride. Get a fork brace and a second fork spring. Also, if you can replace the swingarm bushings with solid bronze ones.

5. baconologist

It has a second spring and a Fox shock already.
    We'll swap when he kills the 50. For now I just want him to have fun and get comfortable at speed.

I'm mostly worried about what I'm forgetting that WERA is going to require. I don't want to get sent home at our first race.

6. backcountryme

You deffinently want a fork brace too. Mine would want to dart all over the place when I got on the brakes hard before I got one.

7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Your prep sounds good to me.

8. baconologist

thanks!

9. baconologist

is there any other options besides a used Calamari? With me on it it's down right scary. I can't tell yet with him.

[​IMG]

10. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

I wouldn't spend a penny I didn't have to on a YSR. It won't be competitive anywhere. Do the bare minimum to safely get your kid on the track. If he likes it, spend $1000-$1500 on an NSR or a two stroke mini motard.

11. baconologist

well, it fits him pretty well right now, we have it already, and he's never driven in anger before. It seemed like a good starting point. He's begging for a Grom, but that ain't gonna happen.

12. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

Didn't mean to sound negative. We did the whole mini thing, and I hate to see a race dad set off on the wrong foot. By all means let him get his feet wet on the YSR. If he likes it, get him something competitive before he gets discouraged.

13. baconologist

No discouragement taken. He likes it, that's the first step to getting him hooked!
    Besides, the way he's growing I'll be looking for a Ninjette next fall :lol:

14. backcountryme

I have a Daytona fork brace, but it came with the bike. I know I found another company by searching YSR race parts or something like that. I would seriously consider a Kayo if I was looking for a new bike. Even over an NSR. But I am a 4 stroke guy.

15. baconologist

the Kayo seems to be a modern interpretation of the YSR.

Thanks for the pointers. I'll look around but might end up just fabing something to work for now.

16. backcountryme

The Kayo is kinda a mix of YSR and NSR. We have 3 or 4 in our club now. I am interested to see how they do next year.

17. backcountryme

18. baconologist

19. backcountryme

So, how is the YSR going?

20. baconologist

new shoes
    body work
    fixed the exhaust leak

still need to wire it and find a fork brace.
    Seems to run pretty good in parking lot testing.

[​IMG]