1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Preparing for my first year

Discussion in 'Information For New Racers' started by BryantR, Nov 28, 2016.

1. mpusch

mpusch Well-Known Member

Yeah I'm not quite sure what the right answer is. I've been on the track for a few years, but there's people here that have done it for decades that I'll defer to. I understand very well the extra investment that those items you mentioned entail. I'm also a believer in having more tire than you need.

BryantR likes this.
  2. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

I've always run 120/60 fronts and 165/60 rear Bridgestone slicks. If you have questions about tires, look up Stickboy either here or on Facebook, and he'd be happy to help you.

Yeah, the more the merrier on the new and old racer meetup. It's always fun to shoot the shit about bike racing. :beer:

3. BryantR

BryantR Active Member

Thanks guys. I'll shoot stickboy a message and see what he recommends for me. I guess it would be kinda dumb to go through setting the bike up, travel, race school, etc just to go out and have my tires hold me back.

cBJr- if you set it up Im there!

4. dsmitty37

dsmitty37 Well-Known Member

Run a set of Dunlop Q3's that will get you through your first weekend pretty well

rk97 likes this.
  5. Trevor636

Trevor636 Well-Known Member

Im about 1.5 hours away from lexington in ashland KY. Im also trying to get into racing this year, i would like to race my crf450 supermoto but i also have been considering purchasing a already prepped lightweight racer, i love my friends rc390 but im still not sure of what bikes fit into what classes. Ive done a few trackdays on 600s and supermotos on cart tracks but im now looking to get into racing a class for points but not for sure what bikes r competitive in what classes, id like to run a lightweight bike class thats easily competitve with light modifications from stock.

6. Phl218

Phl218 .

Sv650 will let you run 3 classes. That's plenty, good bang for the buck and relatively easy on the tire bill

7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yep, 3 pretty competitive on an SV, 2 on the 390 (and it'll cost more to buy). The SV can also run up to other classes for more track time.

8. Trevor636

Interesting, my 1st streetbike was a sv and i still have one today. Have considered either a sv, fz 07, or a newer ktm duke as a lightweight racer. Just wasnt for sure if these 3 bikes would all be in the same class or not. I like the duke as it would b a little lighter. I loved the idea of the ktm cup class but im 32 and read its cutoff was 24years old.

9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

SV is your best bet for right now - FZ might be as more people run them and get more time and setup data.

10. Trevor636

Thanks il keep that in mind. I will probly just purchase a already prepped racebike but i always prefer lightweight bikes and just wanted to find a bike that would be competitive in multiple classes.

11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Use yours or buy one, the SV is the best bet right now on that score.

12. Trevor636

Thanks, anything special i should look for if buying a used SV track bike? Id like it to have a slipper clutch installed for sure but anything else? Are the bikes i see listed with SS builds and slight overbore still legal in all the classes or does it bump the SVs to a faster class?

13. ceebus

ceebus Well-Known Member

Sv is a great choice. I'm biased though. I'm pretty sure a slipper will bump you out of SS. You don't need one to win expert races, but get one if it makes you happy.

The rulebook is your best bet for specific motor build questions. Section 9. If it doesn't say your can do it, it's not SS legal.

You don't need anything fancy to be competitive, especially in novice. Just the obvious stuff like fork springs, shock, slip-on and go race. I'd be more focused on bike condition. Is it clean, properly safety wired, does it have appropriate matching fasteners, etc.

14. Trevor636

Any benefit in purchasing a gen2 over gen1 sv as a trackbike other than fuel injection is one faster? Also i found a track ready sv for sale that has Gsxr race bodywork on it. Its legal where this guy races for SS but i read on the rules that for wera it needed to be factory style plastic. Didnt know if they would give that bike a pass or not i dont see any advantage gained from gsxr plastic but if they r strict on the rules would they make me change bodywork if i purchased that bike?

15. JBall

JBall REALLY senior member

No SS rules on bodywork if the bike did not come with full factory bodywork. You will see naked ones and about every other kind of bodywork on SV's.

16. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yep, any bodywork is legal in the SV classes.