1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Prenup- how much?

Discussion in 'General' started by socal, Apr 3, 2014.

1. socal

socal Well-Known Member

10 weeks till the wedding date.

First attorney quoted $5k. Today rec'd another quote of $6k-$8k. Each wants $500 to meet for the first time. Plus another $3k-$5k for fiance's attorney to review. Any guidance is greatly appreciated.

Feels like I am heading into the first turn of a novice race...

2. Linker48X

Linker48X Well-Known Member

What's the value of what you're protecting?

3. Dits

Dits Will shit in your fort.

That's crazy!

4. opinion914

opinion914 Well-Known Member

Cheaper ta keep'er.

5. NickyZ

NickyZ Well-Known Member

Where are you located? That may affect the price a bit, but not that much. I just asked our estate/trust department - who drafts prenups. They said it varies depending mostly upon how much negotiation is involved. If the parties are in agreement it takes much less time/money. If the other attorney is a jerk, it takes more time. They said a simple one could run as low as $1500, but it jumps up once significant time is invested in negotiations.

6. EngineNoO9

EngineNoO9 Well-Known Member

My $.02 is unless someone's family is pushing to get one to protect family assets, prenups are a waste of time and is only signaling doubt that you think your marriage could fail. Plus I feel like with one in place it's too easy to just pull the plug on the marriage because you're protected... If you have doubts, don't get married. And when you are married, work through your issues instead of quitting. Wife and I have our issues but we work through everything. Even though some of the stuff drives me nuts, and vice versa! Divorce is not an option for us in our marriage...

In terms of cost for one... no clue...

7. BigBird

BigBird blah

^^sometimes stuff doesn't work out..good on you both that you try to work everything out, but there can be other mitigating factors (e.g. abuse, drugs, fidelity, etc.) that may occur to end a marriage.

and yeah...no clue, but that if you are protecting assets in the million+ dollar range, that's the only way those kind of prices start to make sense.

8. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

Where is the I'm with stupid smiley?

Totally and unequivocally agree

9. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

I don't know, I've seen both sides of what I call "the screwing"...

Guitar player in our band...started with Cisco Systems in 1984. Took pay and stock from the beginning. Worth a nice chunk of change. His wife since 1983 filed two years ago and took half. OK, I'll buy that...she had been there since the start and raised their 3 sons.

My best friend...married about 15 years ago. He is a successful financial guy and she had a thriving marketing business and wrote a couple of books. She decides to quit work 100% a couple of years ago and then he comes home one day to find a note that says I don't love you anymore, goodbye. He then finds that she had planned this for months and had a big time divorce attorney working out all kinds of angles before she even announced she was leaving! His divorce proceedings took 2 years to complete. The money he had to fork over for legal bills is beyond comprehension. Yeah, a prenup would have served him well.

10. socalrider

socalrider pathetic and rude

No clue on cost... But keep in mind the prenup only protects what you enter into the union with. Still owe half (or more) of what you make together after the wedding.

11. Dits

Dits Will shit in your fort.

I can fix that with a pre nup.

12. Gecko

Gecko Well-Known Member

Agreed. However, I'd say location can affect the price a bit more (at least in my state), as well as the attorney's level of experience. The amount of assets each party has can also play a part, including time and effort to ensure full disclosure so the prenup will hold up down the road. Negotiation of terms definitely plays a large role; the more the parties agree, the less time/money spent. I don't know about Cali, but here a simple one with minor assets could run around $1,500. If you start spending significant time in negotiations with significant assets, plan on a lot more than that.

13. Aweasel

Aweasel Well-Known Member

don't get married

14. bitchcakes

bitchcakes reluctant member

15. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

Simple solution is don't marry.

If she is in love she will stay.

If not you get new pussy and all guys love new pussy. It is a win win situation.

Oh, and you get to keep all the things that your hard work and good decision making has brought you.....not her.

16. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

Looks like you should hire Dits.

17. socal

socal Well-Known Member

We agreed to not seek spousal support. Accumulated wealth gets split- as the court will otherwise find the agreement unconscionable. Should be simple. Inexpensive.

18. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

I would say its the opposite. As a man you have to look at things logically. 1/2 of first marriages fail and approx 70% of divorces are initiated by women, and more often than not they are the ones receiving alimony and child support payments. If you have a prenup stating she's not getting any of that then the sticking out the marriage is more incentivized and than hitting the eject button for her.

Men don't generally have any financial gain to make by filing divorce. Although freedom and sanity are priceless :D

19. kosta

kosta Well-Known Member

And I should weigh in with my very recent experiences....no kids....get the prenup

20. prospected

prospected Well-Known Member

:up: