1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pre 94 Toyota 4x4

Discussion in 'Wanted to buy or trade' started by Jaketheone46, Jan 31, 2020.

1. Jaketheone46

Jaketheone46 Well-Known Member

Wanting a 94 or older Toyota 4x4 pickup truck with a solid frame and decent looking. I’ve always wanted one and here lately have been looking. Every one I see that’s actually clean and rust free at a decent price I can’t seem to get to it fast enough. I prefer fuel injection which did not start until 85 or so. I would really like anything 1984/1994 really. I think 84 was the last year of the solid front axle but those that are in the condition I’m wanting pull big money.

2. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

'85 on the axle. Rust-free 22re?? Good luck! They are absolutely awesome! If I was in the market for yet another in my long line of them,I wouldn't pass up on '86 and up...........unless you are going 4x4ing with it. I never beat up any of mine like that accept my '86 4runner......and even that was just light duty mud hopping,so I never worried about the solid axle. And yep......the costs on them are flippin' heart breaking anymore. You gotta catch them before they are bought up by exporters sending them to latin-america.

3. Jaketheone46

they are amazing trucks for sure, thinking about a drive to Alabama tomorrow to look at a 88 that’s supposed to be rust free and runs well. Not really concerned about the solid front axle it would just be a bonus. There is a 84 solid front axle truck in the same direction but it’s a bit on the rough side.

4. britx303

My last 22re was my '86 4runner. It was a running project and easy one to get going on the road even in maryland. I paid 900 bucks for it,but had to rent a penske truck with a suv sized car carrier to bring it down from philadelphia.........so I can empathise with the hunt :D After having it for a month or so, my wife took it to the grocery store and had an exporter try to buy it for 3,500 bucks cash. She said she told him to "f*ck off":crackup:

5. Jaketheone46

Well I don’t mind paying for one if it’s nice and priced right but these guys wanting 8,000 for a truck that’s not even in great shape just kills me. The real nice ones are 15,000 plus. There is a sweet 86 4x4 5 speed turbo on ebay right now looks great bid is over 7,000 and still has not hit the reserve. I think it will probably go pretty high. Would be really cool to get a turbo 5speed model.

6. Jaketheone46

I’ve never owned one yet but have had a couple 2wd versions and loved them. I can say a 22r model you do want a 5speed. The automatic version is a turd even in the 2wd model. There’s a nice one in Oregon that’s 6,000 I’m thinking about flying to get.

7. britx303

Hmmmm........I cant think of any that we've had that wasn't a 5 speed. The only automatics ever was a brand new t100 that sucked donkey balls with problems,and a 2000 tacoma 4cyl. 4x4 that was stone reliable for 250K miles before rolling it/destroying it. The only part to ever need replacing was the starter and that was swapped around 2,000 miles or less before it was totalled............murphy's law or whatever.:D

8. Jaketheone46

found a 88 regular cab 5spd v6 150,000 miles solid truck with a couple spots at the rear bed seams a bit of rust coming through. Very little. Frame is solid everything else appears solid. The cab interior is pretty dirty as the guy has been using it as a farm truck. 4,500 bucks. He had it listed at 6,000 I’ve got him down to 4,500. I just don’t know though. I’m thinking I could find a completely rust free model out west for that. I do like that this one has the v6 5spd. I’ve seen these v6 go longer than the 22r even. Both are turds but the v6 has a bit more. I know a sweet truck is out there somewhere in my range. I don’t care if the paint is faded away as long as there is no rust and it’s been taken care of.

9. britx303

Thats a good deal and if I was looking for another and had the cash I'd go for it................but most 22re guys will differ on the opinion of the v6 outlasting the 4 banger:D The old v6's had some big head gasket issue that has to be addressed,but I never had a v6 so I dont know exactly what the fix was............improved gaskets maybe??

Jaketheone46 likes this.
  10. Jaketheone46

After a bit of research I’m a bit scared of the 3.0l v6 unless the recall was done. Plus it has a timing belt which I would have though back in 88 it woulda been a chain. I was thinking of the 3.4l v6 which is very reliable and you can convert the 3.0 to 3.4 so that’s alway a option if it did blow a head gasket. I do wish it had the 22r though. That 22r is bulletproof if maintained.

11. JTRC51

JTRC51 El Speedy Gonzalez

Not a pre 94 but I know of a 99 ext cab TRD 4x4 for sale in GA that would be great. 235k miles. $4500

Clean truck!

12. Jaketheone46

Thanks ,I’ve actually came across a few of the Tacoma’s and do like them just not like I do the old ones. The old ones are smaller and that’s the part I like about them. Not positive but it seems like the older you go the smaller they get. I found the one I want and the guy is waiting on a title. It’s a 1990 and it’s in really good shape. I’m sure he’s getting hammered on it though and will get those buyers offering more than it’s listed price to try and get it so we will see. I listed a pretty sweet 00 GTI VR6 last year and knew I would get blown up with buyers. And I did, so I took them in order of the ones who actually seemed interested in looking, Set up a showing with a guy, marked it as pending sale. Well I started getting offers of higher amounts. I still sold it to the guy who I had set up the showing with.
    I also still had the people that try to get it for cheaper as well. I didnt even bother putting them in line to see it. Now I admit I’ve asked and negotiated many of times but not when it’s already priced right.
    This 90 Toyota is at 5,000 and looks to be nice. So fingers crossed on this one.
    The others I’ve seen that are clean are wanting 7,000 plus.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2020
  13. Jaketheone46

I do want to say thanks to you for the heads up on the 3.0. After more research I passed. I’ve seen plenty say there’s did great, but with my luck I wasn’t chancing it. Think I have a even better 1990 lined up now. Just waiting on a title.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2020
  14. britx303

Nice!!! I had a 90 4x4. That was the only one that got the semi-garage Queen treatment. In 99 when a drunk driver totaled it, I only had 90k miles on it. She was like brand new. That one was my most favourite out of all of them besides my ‘83 2 wheel drive that had 500k+ miles before just being too rusted away to drive anymore

15. JTRC51

JTRC51 El Speedy Gonzalez

I sold my 93 4x4 years ago. Miss it

16. Jaketheone46

If I get it (fingers crossed) once I do I’ll figure out how to put up pics. The sellers pics are mostly garage pics and this one looks like it has at the very least been a garage queen for a while being it still looks good. These trucks are just flat out awesome trucks if you keep the rust off of them and maintain them. Keep a decent timing chain/guides in em they will go a long time.

17. Jon Wilkens

Jon Wilkens Well-Known Member

18. Jaketheone46

Wow never saw this, definitely going to keep a eye on this for any nice deals.
    I ended up getting a 1990 Toyota regular cab 4x4, it’s been pretty sweet having it. It’s in decent shape and pretty rust free other than a small spot on top of the passenger front of the rocker. The frame is really good. I’m going to have to make sure I keep it that way. Runs perfect too, Loving it.

Jon Wilkens likes this.
  19. Jaketheone46

Going to try to add a pic Ot the truck here.
    [​IMG]

20. Jaketheone46

Not perfect by no means but fairly rust free, a small spot on pass rocker that I’m just stopping in it’s tracks for now. The frame is great.