1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Praying for Ryan Newman

Discussion in 'General' started by Quicktoy, Feb 17, 2020.

1. Critter

Critter Registered

I am the last person in American ANYONE should be commenting to about "The nature of the sport" I poked that bear with a shorter stick than anyone on here PERIOD... I know the nature of the sport, better than you or anyone else. The point is the France family has created a scenario where the risk is much higher than it needs to be for racing by creating an AERO package that bunches up the cars and they have no place to go when things go wrong.. Things go wrong in racing that's racing and every driver/rider signs on to that. The France family has put their greed and arrogance above drive safety and quite frankly took the racing out of the sport. Now it is just bumper cars on super speedways until someone get punted off. You could essentially make the 500 into a 20 lap sprint race and you would get the same results... The over whelming desire to have a shit ton of cars in the photos at the end is nothing but marketing. The France family and Nascar is famous for selectively enforcing rules on one team VS another to make sure they have a show, that is not racing it's WWF with cars.....

backcountryme and CRA_Fizzer like this.
  2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Um, that is kind of how pro racing works. It's a show to make money, that is why they all get paid a shit ton to do what others pay to do...

Photo and 5axis like this.
  3. Critter

Critter Registered

Sean, I get all of that, but at the same time this has been a systematic problem of Nascar, their numbers are going down and have been for a while, and they keep making the cars closer and closer on track with the AERO packages and numbers keep going down..... Maybe they should try something different and put the racing back in racing, I find it funny that you are lecturing me on pro racing VS amateur racing....and what a racing show is...

4. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

The racing hasn't been in racing there for 50 or more years.

I'm only bringing it up because you seem to have France family hate blinders on today :D

5. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

No.

4000 pound cars with an acre of spoiler on them aren't remotely the same thing as MotoGP bikes.

Silly "comparison".

6. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

Critter, you peaked in life selling envelopes back in the day. Quit spouting off saying you know better than everyone here.

Honestly, you don't know jack.

7. auminer

Hmmm... I wonder how much of those taxes went to Dale Earnhardt's headstone...

8. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Don't know, but I'm relatively certain the Earnhardts didn't need to set up a go fund me (even if it had existed).

9. auminer

What about the gofundme for Newman's recovery from the TBI that he almost certainly got last night? Is that sufficiently funded?

You<<<----- ... - - - - >>> the point.

10. R Acree

R Acree Banned

You would have to ask Newman's family/team/employer.

You<<<----- ... - - - - >>> the point. At what point are taxes supposed to cover Dale's headstone? The HANS device was available. Perhaps not mandated, but not universally loved or used by the drivers.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2020
  11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I can 99.44% guarantee Newman has an insurance policy that covers him.

SpeedyTide likes this.
  12. Captain Morgan

Captain Morgan Well-Known Member

It's racing, if we all wanted to be safe, probably would not have thrown a leg over a bike or crawled into a car on a track. It's our choice and there are consequences sometimes

5axis likes this.
  13. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

At Daytona and talladega? probably 70% or more

14. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Didn't realize there were so many lil bitches crying over Nascar races. Don't watch it if you're so triggered. Nascar racing now is safer than it's ever been at any time.

It's racing.

Racing is dangerous.

[​IMG]

Sabre699, VFR#52, Banditracer and 5 others like this.
  15. Critter

Critter Registered

Sean

I agree to most of that, I do not have France Family blinders on totally, am I a little slanted because many of my friends here in town will lose their jobs this year because of their policies and desire to control all aspects of the sport, maybe. I think overall Nascar has a good safety record, but to me bunching up the cars like this by making them all the same creates a risk that is not seen in other forms of racing, and I think the France's refuse to look at the fact that the rules package is causing these massive pile ups.
    Look in the end drivers sign up for this, but for a sanctioning body to look the other way when drivers and team owners comment about it is ludicrous in my opinion. They just seem to turn a blind eye to the fact that if the car constructors were allow a little more leeway than maybe you would not have some many massive pile ups and maybe you would have more cars left at the end of the race....

16. auminer

Of course it's safer. But the fact remains that these 4 restrictor plate races are retarded. They're boring parades until someone gets spun out from the necessary bump drafting and side drafting and they wad up a couple-few million bucks worth of cars & kill/maim someone. Trouble is, the owners of nascar also own the Daytona track, so they're damn sure going to bill the first contest every year as "The Great American Race". Nevermind that the product isn't really entertaining to most actual fans, and is unnecessarily prone to killing drivers.

The season actually starts this week.

17. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Awake and speaking, from the team twitter. :flag:

2blueYam, Chino52405, noles19 and 4 others like this.
  18. SpeedyTide

SpeedyTide 'Bama's Bad Boy

As others stated.....some contact between Hamlin & Blaney, Blaney moved down the track along with Newman, and slight contact with Newman, and we know the rest. I believe Blaney knew he'd have a time getting around Newman and if not was hoping to push Newman to the win. Racing incident at the end is all I saw. No intent from anyone.

Bill Elliott holds track record for fastest qualifying speed at Talladega at 212.809 miles per hour, and track record for fastest qualifying speed at Daytona at 210.364 miles per hour - both set in 1987. Could be mistaken, but thinking they drafted at times....at speeds around 220 back then.

In 1988, NASCAR officials permanently mandated the use of restrictor plates to choke oxygen and horsepower at the two tracks to help prevent cars becoming airborne after Bobby Allison’s car blew a tire and tore down around 100 feet of fencing in the 1987 Winston 500.

No telling how fast they'd be running today w/o restrictor plates.

19. rabbit73

rabbit73 Scheiße

That is a silly comparison. And I never made it. I'm not addressing equipment.
    You said "40 cars going 200+ within one second from first to last is always going to end just like this." Meaning catastrophically. But cut to an F1/GP/SBK race where anyone can win from the green flag and 20 guys are covered by a blanket at the checkered and everyone would agree it's awesome. Maybe they should just run qualifying and not race if a closely packed, evenly matched field is too dangerous?

They made technical rules that ensure a close field. That's what every fan says they want. Now they need to address the competition and safety rules to deal with that. They don't because not addressing it leads to crashes which is what the fans want.

20. tgold

tgold Well-Known Member

They wouldn't be going at all because the type of crashes that ended board track racing would have happened by now.

Quicktoy likes this.