1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PRAYER REQUEST (CANCER REALLY SUCKS)

Discussion in 'General' started by StanTheMan, Nov 1, 2018.

1. StanTheMan

StanTheMan Well-Known Member

Brad, so sorry to read this. Try your best to be around for your dad, even it it's only to listen to him vent. When appropriate, try to get him to join a grief-counseling group. My mom joined one (that actually meets at the hospice facility where her husband died) and it has really helped her. If I can do anything at all for you or your family, all you need do is ask me and it will be done. Prayers for you and your family at this difficult time.

Brad and Triple X like this.
  2. Brad

Brad Swollen Member

I appreciate that. We'll definitely have to keep a closer watch on him. He still gets around pretty good, considering. Stubborn as a mule and wants to get out and ramble around visiting his buddies. Sad too, because at 81, born and raised in what was a one horse town, lots of the old guard have gone and the town is way too crowded!

Sorry to have bumped a potentially painful, old post. Just logged in after and remembered this thread taking a little of my chest.... Thanks y'all!

3. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

Fuck Cancer!

Lost my Mom to lung cancer in 2011. Completely horrible and bullshit way to go.
    I feel like when my Mom died...she won. Cancer couldn't fuck with her anymore.

Don't mourn her loss...celebrate all that she meant to you, and all that she was to all around her.

Mourning gives cancer what it wants...your soul.

Your Dad's gonna need you now. 50 years with her is a long time...she helped bring you here to
    help him through this.

beechkingd and Brad like this.
  4. Brad

Brad Swollen Member

Sorry to hear someone that is supposed to help pulls that crap on a sick person.

This particular shithead, is the son of the main doctor from the one horse town of days gone by. The old man or "daddy" as he was know was an old quack that I grew up hearing stories from all my folks friends how if you wound up in that hospital with "daddy" ,good chance you weren't leaving alive!

Son started practicing general and surgery in the late 70s and gained a "great" rep. Mom said he was a brilliant surgeon... Maybe 20 years ago, he was. He's over 70 currently, apparently grandfathered and not required to complete newer training and certification.

January last year she started having issues that he basically blew off. Answers were things like "you're not 16 anymore dear." Even the ladies up front who were long time friends of hers said "something's just not right with your blood. it's never been like this."

Random vomiting turned consistent. Most basic test take weeks between consult, scheduling, another in office for no reason results. It was mid September before an endoscopy was ordered to find that mass. It was in mid August that she had last been able to really eat anything. He didn't listen when she told him that either..."you can continue on your liquid diet if you want, but you should be able to eat regularly."

The following, countless errors would have been funny and probably unbelievable had I not watched them happen to my mother. Shes not alone either. Plenty of people with horror stories. Hard to do much with the patriarch of the county hospital system though. He's got the legacy and almighty dollar behind him.

I'm not vindictive or hateful person at all unless I've been wronged. I can't promise, that one day, I won't piss on this fuckers grave.

5. Brad

Brad Swollen Member

I was a super shy kid and way too emotional for my own good. Really a mamas boy and couldn't stand to be separated. I came to realize yesterday that maybe that attachment was a need to protect her, being my most comforting, safe place. One of those "why was i fucked up as a kid?" moments that made me think that it somehow was so I could help her when -she- needed it. That should translate well to help the old man too. He's been a tough ole rascal, but he's slowing down and we both know it.

Every time we went to a treatment or I prepared her meds, connected her feeding pump (that she only recently got confident enough to run herself) or did anything that some may not have time for or just hire someone in to complete the task, she would tell me "I just don't know what I would've done without you."... Now I don't know what I'll do without her.:(

6. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

Very sorry for your pain you are going through:(! Hang in there Brad!

Brad likes this.
  7. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Most of us eventually transform from cared for to care giver and, if we live long enough, cared for again. Knowing it is coming doesn't always make the transition any easier. Just know your being there is important for you as much as it is them.

Brad likes this.
  8. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

The cycle of life.

My condolences, Brad.

Brad likes this.
  9. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

Sorry for your loss.
    June 3 was the second anniversary of my mother's death,
    also from lung cancer, though she didn't smoke.

It gets easier, it just takes a while.
    She'll always be with you.

Brad likes this.
  10. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Hakuna Matata

11. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

Sigh....it does kinda suck reliving this thread....Sorry for your loss Brad and everybody elses.

Lost my father, 3 uncles, a cousin, a brother-in-law, and a good friend/co-worker in the last 4 yrs....all to cancer. And my mom almost 2yrs ago to a different cause. Not to mention my sisters double mastectomy the same day my dad was told he was terminal. Sister is fine as of today.

More thoughts for yas.

Brad likes this.
  12. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

.......and yet another loss. A cousin passed away yesterday, stomach cancer. Been fighting it for about 2 yrs. Has twin daughters.

13. StanTheMan

Sorry for your loss. It sucks big-time. I just lost a co-worker nurse to a brain tumor and she was only about 35. Plus one of my bestest riding buddies dropped dead of a massive heart attack about 3 weeks ago, and he was in his early 50's. They're leaving us all the time, I guess. But it sure does suck. I've been doing a whole lot of praying lately for families and their grief. Adding you and your extended family to my list.

14. Mot Okstef

Mot Okstef Scrolling all day long on RRW.com

15. StanTheMan

16. dantheman

dantheman Yeah, it hurt.....

Cancer sucks. Took my Dad 3 1/2 years ago. Still at times I think I will swing by his house and hang out with him and Mom but not to be. I will see you again one day pops. Sad to say a good number of us have had it in our lives one way or another...

17. dieterly

dieterly Well-Known Member

I was diagnosed with melanoma back in 2006 and if you looked at the stats at the time, I only had about a 20% chance to be alive for another 24 months, well I’m still here so eff the stats!!!

Brad likes this.