1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

power commander problem "device not communicating" after firmware update

Discussion in 'Tech' started by SPATT, Feb 2, 2008.

1. SPATT

SPATT In a gravel pit near you

After an afternoon of losing what little hair I have left to lose, I still have this problem.

The problem started after a firmware update. Install failed. will not reinstall. The power commander will not communicate with my lap top or reset.

I have tried:

Installing a new 9v battery in the power-on adapter.
    updating my power commander software on my pc off the website.
    trying numberous different usb plugs.
    removing and reinstalling the power commander.
    and last but not least cussing it.

Has anyone ever had this problem?

2. Chip

Chip Registered

We see it all the time.....Typical Dynojet fun.

Are you using the boot loader for the firmware update?

3. SPATT

yeah. how do I fix it?

4. SPATT

chip did you give up on me?

5. Huey130

Huey130 Chief wrench thrower

Have you tried a "master reset"? It's in the PC software version 3.2.1 (maybe others). Under tools - enviorment options - then a button on the bottom left. Make sure its connected to a new battery when you do it. I think it will send that "blind".

After that use the boot loader to put in the newest firmware. Be sure to do the second step! You have to unplug the usb cable out of the lil boot loader box and into the power commander then hit enter.

Don't accidently put the ign mod firmware in! Can't get it out and it has to go back to DJ!

Last edited: Feb 4, 2008
  6. SPATT

tried a master reset...no luck. called them today they told me a little voodoo to try so we'll see.

7. Chip

Chip Registered

Sorry....

What Huey said.

8. ~Fierygix~

~Fierygix~ Well-Known Member

Try updating the firmware again without the 9V battery.

It's should update fine with just the USB cable to your laptop.

I messed up an update and that brought the PC back to life.

9. SPATT

Its all good. Got it figured out. Had to reset it without the programmer.

10. WMRRA812

WMRRA812 Well-Known Member

I am basically having the same problem with my 06 GSXR 600. I can not get my laptop to recongnize the PC III no matter how hard I push the USB cable into the PC III. Anyone have any tips or advice?

11. OneSLOW10

OneSLOW10 New Member

Spatt how did you fix this problem? I think I am having the same issues has you did.

12. goodmatt78

goodmatt78 Well-Known Member

I am confused on the boot loader files. Do you just hook up the programmer and select the latest firmware to load from the software or do you physically have to load the boot files first? Or are the boot loader files just referenced in the back ground?

13. ubermoto71

ubermoto71 Well-Known Member

I had this problem with a Hayabusa I was working on recently. I finally reinstalled the PC software to my notebook from a new PC cd and everything was fine after that.

14. Nimmy

Nimmy New Member

Ignition Firmware on PCIII

I accidentally put my ignition firmware on my PCIII and now it won't turn on at all. Anyone know how to fix it without sending it to Dynojet?

15. Quik208

Quik208 Well-Known Member

you will need to use the lil reprogramer box that comes with the ignition module. So you will need to update the softwear using that.

16. childog

childog childog

07 Streetglide PCIII USB
    Arlen Ness Big Sucker
    Black Thundercone slipons

I know this is an old blog but I recently had a powercomander problem and I searched blogs everywhere and could not get an answer. During a firmware update my powercommander crapped out and went totally dead. My bike would not start and when I tried the top and bottom light on the powercommander would blink. Bike starts fine without PCIII. Anyway what sometimes happens is while updating firmware the PC gets stuck in boot loader mode. I talked with the company, and they are very nice by the way, u would either have to buy a PC programmer (40$+) to get it unstuck or send it to them free of charge to have it reset.

17. childog

childog childog

I also found out that on the Powercommander web page there is a left link and a right link when which confuses everyone. The link on the left represents an older version of the PCIII USB for California Use. Well mine was a PCIII and I live in Cali so naturally I always went there for maps and updates. The right link represents what I thought was racing bikes only but it is actually the only portion they update so I was downloading old versions of their firmware the entire time hence I messed up my PCIII. These are very robust units that rarely crap out but if they do they have a great support team that is very helpful!!

18. UK_R6

UK_R6 Member

same issue here..... they dont tell you that when you do the firmware update from the pc3 control center that it will switch off the bike lol....

stuck so called dynojet, they said i need to get the programmer and a 9v battery and connector bla bla bla.... or send it in double bla bla bla so I asked which were the power terminals on the multi pin port and just plugged a 9v battery into the pos and neg terminals that powered pc3 ran firmware update from control center all good

19. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Sorry for bumping the old thread....I guess it's better than starting a new one :D

I'm having this exact same problem w/ a K4 gsxr 600

Tried running the firmware update via the PC3 software and as soon as it started, the bike shut off. I guess it's stuck in boot loader mode as your described? The top and bottom green bars light for a minute and then it shuts off, bike won't start and it won't communicate with laptop.

Exactly what programmer are you referring to?

Is this it?
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0..._m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=189R58ZQZ146HT9DNGBW

or this?
    http://www.amazon.com/1997-2009-Suzuki-Gsxr600-Dynojet-Battery/dp/B002FDL3FG

or this?
    http://www.jpcycles.com/product/400-651?utm_source=googleproducts&utm_medium=cse

And once you get it connected just run the firmware update again, or does the PC need to be reset or something?

20. Honda rider

Honda rider New Member

I know this is an old post but I have the same problem as SPATT. How did you guys get round it?

Im sure my pc3 is in boot mode or bricked.