1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Post your road bicycle

Discussion in 'General' started by cha0s#242, May 19, 2016.

1. Rich

Rich Well-Known Member

I was using a coach, so I probably didn't get the most out of my $20....all I gained was the software component. I do agree that coaches are expensive, but make great gains.

2. 50Joe

50Joe Registered User

Carbonbike is all done. First road ride is tomorrow. Psyched.
    upload_2020-4-7_11-21-49.jpeg

Newyork, Senna, cajun636 and 10 others like this.
  3. RichB

RichB Well-Known Member

Joe that looks sweet, congrats. Let us know how it rides! curious about tyre pressure of the two rear wheels vs front, are they different? Are there any aero restrictions you've had to work with or around?

50Joe likes this.
  4. Jed

Jed mellifluous

:bow:

That thing is badass.

50Joe likes this.
  5. 50Joe

50Joe Registered User

I've done all the known aero things possible. The rear are tubeless so I can run a lower pressure for our bumpy roads here in SC. As low as 70 psi. The front is a clincher and I usually run it around 85 psi.

6. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

Propel Advanced ?

RichB likes this.
  7. RichB

RichB Well-Known Member

Yes mate, a propel advanced SL1. It has an ISP which I wasn't too keen on for a few reasons, but so far it's been no issue and spacers are available for up to 25mm of additional height if needed.

8. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

That's probably going to be my next bike if I ever find a deal... (and a job)

Last edited: Apr 7, 2020
  9. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

Since it doesn't seem like there have been any recent mtb-specific threads...

Can anyone speak to a trail bike vs. an XC bike? Have you regretted going from one to the other?

My local trail is narrow, tight and twisty with mainly hard pack dirt, some loose over hard, and fuck-you roots placed at tough spots on both climbs and descents. Lots of short climbing and descending, but nothing really sustained. It tends to reward responsiveness and twitchiness vs. stability.

I currently ride a Trek Superfly, which is a bike geared for XC racing. I've shortened the stem a bunch to get my weight a bit more back, swapped to flat pedals, and added a dropper to make the bike a bit more trail-oriented.

I've gotten way more comfortable on the trail with these changes and am bombing sections that I was walking just last year. I'm going to ride my Superfly for the time being, but I have my eye on perhaps something more trail-oriented. However, I like getting a good workout in - going fast and riding hard both up and down the trail, which makes me wonder if after I get more comfortable on the trail, I'd be better off with sticking with an XC-style bike. But, I just don't know if I ever see myself being comfortable clipped-in off-road.

The local fast guys seem to be mostly on FS XC race bikes (Orbea Oiz, SC Blurs, Canyon Luxi), fwiw.

10. 50Joe

50Joe Registered User

Anyone interested in a brand new e*thirteen TRS 9-50T 12 speed cassette? SRAM and Shimano compatible. I bought it for the 1x system for my new handcycle but any cog greater than 46 will cause the chain to rub on the fork. So, I bought one of their 9-46T cassettes to use. This is the only company that goes down to 9T cog to my knowledge. Allows you to use a smaller chain ring. Retail is normally $250 but they are having a sale right now for $200 so I'll sell mine for $175 plus shipping. Check out their stuff on-line. Really good quality and very light. I rode my new bike with full SRAM 12 speed eTap using this cassette and it was awesome. So quiet and smooth I could hear the electric motor in the derailleur shift gears. BTW, the speed difference between a 10 cog and 9 cog at 90 rpm on a 650c tire is 2.9 mph. Pretty significant difference which expands your mountain or gravel bike range quite nicely.

11. rice r0cket

rice r0cket Well-Known Member

You talking HT or FS?

Speaking only HTs, I have a "trail" HT, basically a 130mm fork with slack front geometry and short rear chainstays. I think it captures the best of both worlds, and I think in the past few years, every mfg has been moving towards slacker fronts and shorter rears.

I had a more traditional Trek XC HT 29er before, and it felt sluggish in comparison. For racing, you can get lower on a pure XC bike and engage your glutes better which is what matters in XC racing, but I still prefer the overall versatility of the trail.

Senna likes this.
  12. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

HT. I won’t go FS out here as I just don’t think it’s warranted and adds a ton of cost.

Yea, that’s kind of what I was thinking - something pretty slack with a shorter rear for maneuverability. I’m hoping this virus shit can blow over and I can test some bikes to get a better feel for what I want. My roadie side says go the XC route, but I like the playful, pure fun aspect of MTB a lot too.

13. 50Joe

50Joe Registered User

Thought you kids in here might be interested in seeing how a handcyclist uses a trainer. Wahoo Kickr mounted upside down to a 30" plyometrics jump box. Now that I have my Carbonbike done, I can leave this one hooked to the trainer. upload_2020-4-16_17-11-12.jpeg

Jed, awalk9905, cajun636 and 5 others like this.
  14. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

That's cool. However, isn't the monitor a bit too high for ergonomic viewing? Or will it tilt?

Also, what's your wattage? If I'm asking correctly, how much power can you pump out, and assuming that you use Zwift or whatnot, is there a handcycle setting?

15. Cannoli

Cannoli Typical Uccio

That's fricken EPIC! Love it! :beer:

50Joe likes this.
  16. Cannoli

Cannoli Typical Uccio

Why would there need to be handcycle setting? The watts he puts out is the watts he puts out. The simulation speed and workout ERG settings will adjust to the power being produced. That is the point of the simulation. That is to mimic the physics of the "real world".

My questions is does the TV shake from the Whaoo movement?

EDIT: Sorry if that came off snarky. Not my intention at all. :beer:

17. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

Are there any Shimano dealers on the beeb? I have an old Cannondale M500 with Exage group and I need a derailleur barrel nut adjuster.

18. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

Yeah, but what if there is a handcycle team (or whatever) so he can complete apples to apples? Unless handcycles crush bicycles. I don't know. Just curious. I'm a street rider, no interest in online/inside riding (he said with a little jealousy for not spending money on an indoor smart trainer and subscription).

19. Cannoli

Cannoli Typical Uccio

I'm a road (and gravel) rider as well but love my dedicated indoor trainer. I get the idea of a handracer nitch for indoor racing, but the purpose of indoor training is to simulate physics of the real world. As far as I know, none of the major indoor platforms have a handracer setting. They just calculate power produced and simulate movement based on rider and kit weight and virtual road grade (some air physics is included too).

20. 50Joe

50Joe Registered User

Us handcyclists have been asking for our own avatar and different programming to be on equal ground to the "upright" riders on Zwift. We get the same old "we are working on that" response. So, our Watts/Kg is lower obviously; so in the Zwift world we get crushed. Erg mode doesn't help with being competitive. I only use erg mode when doing a planned workout so I don't have to shift. Still a great tool to improve myself though.

The TV only shakes if I'm putting serious watts into the trainer in a sprint zone. The jump box is pretty heavy and very stable. The Wahoo Kickr is really smooth and quiet.