1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Post your road bicycle

Discussion in 'General' started by cha0s#242, May 19, 2016.

1. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

Conti has a new GP 5000 also.

2. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

I saw that. I’ve heard mixed things. I know they kill on rolling resistance, but I’ve read some reviews where folks are saying they don’t have the outright grip the 4000s had.

3. Shocker

Shocker Well-Known Member

Thanks, now I want a new bike. :rolleyes:

:D

pscook, Senna and cajun636 like this.
  4. cajun636

cajun636 Honda Junkie.

The 5000 roll like a mother fucker. Not so much on the grip.

5. Jed

Jed mellifluous

Michelin Pros 4Lyfe!

I loved Vittoria Open Corsas until the center tread started to delaminate on me in the middle of a crit....

Shocker likes this.
  6. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

I bought a set last month, I'll be trying them next year.

Senna likes this.
  7. Shocker

Shocker Well-Known Member

Love mine!

8. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

Grip isn't good?

9. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

10. awalk9905

awalk9905 Well-Known Member

Grip in the dry or mixed conditions? I've ran the 5000 tubeless tires all year and prior to that, the 4000s. I don't race or anything like that, but I bomb every hill when I get the chance and haven't noticed any difference in grip in the dry. I will say that I don't think the 5000s last as long.

I just snagged another set for cheap - https://bikecloset.com/product/cont...avE4qom1Lp_b46OeRPK2mbe1_h0i11JkaAu0AEALw_wcB

11. sharky nrk

sharky nrk Rubber Side Up

also curious about the Vesrah disc brake pads for bicycles

I am still riding on Gatorskins but have been thinking about the GP5000s. I heard they are nearly as good now for puncture and pinch resistance.

12. LH6675

LH6675 Active Member

Versah pads on my mountain bike rock. Recommend them & Kurveygirl caries them.

13. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

So, TrainerRoad posted its "Disaster Challenge" for December 14th this year. 4 hours on the trainer. I've slapped it on the TR calendar. Past hour three it looks pretty damn brutal. Anyone else planning to try it?

Attached Files:

cajun636 likes this.
  14. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

I think you'd notice a big difference on the GPs. Everything I've read on the Gatorskins seems to say that it's almost a plastic compound vs. rubber, with little side grip to achieve that level of puncture resistance. That being said, 12 years ago I'd ride on the Gatorskins occasionally and didn't have issues, but I wasn't cornering as hard as I do now.

15. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

The Gatorskins that I have (28mm?) feel numb compared to the OEM Specialized "whatevers" that came on my Diverge. Numb on the top and sketchy on the corners, it took some getting used to when I first switched over. But I'm used to them and I only ride 32-ish miles (round trip) on my commute with no gravel (well, not planned) or anything other than road debris. I don't ride hard, I just need reliability and strength to carry my panniers. I think that the 'Skins are numb (to me) because they are thick on the center and with the kevlar they don't flex, they just "skim" the pavement. And the tall and stiff sidewalls don't allow side flex, so again they just bounce along when turning. I might drop the PSI to 75-80 from the 90 that I have them right now just for the feels comparison, but these dang hamstrings need to heal up first.

I think that Armadillos are in my future for my next set, but I only have ~1,000 miles on the 'Skins and they are still showing decent thickness. Couple of cuts, but nothing too exciting yet.

16. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

Oh yea, for a commuter bike I'd at least consider them, assuming your route isn't all that "fun."

What did you do to your hamstrings?

17. RichB

RichB Well-Known Member

I run Conti 5000 also, just recently as I've been throwing the bike around commuting 5days a week I have felt them drifting but it's only a fraction, and only when cold. They have no issues mid ride and feel awesome in tubeless 28c. I'm 75kg and run approx 75/80psi f/r.

18. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

I know about Gatorskins and Armadillos, but I'm always looking for a "better" tire. The lack of feedback has caused a couple of confidence diminishing moments (the fall on black ice not withstanding), so if there's a puncture resistant tire with good grip I'm in. But I would prefer a reasonable price point.

Hammies are hurt by... I don't know. I had an injury in February, worked on it with starting in May, got it "resolved" over the summer, then it crept back into my life in September when I got back into riding. I don't know if it's the bike, the saddle, or what. It's really disheartening. I have stopped all PT activities and it's actually getting a little better each week, and I went for a 2 mile run on Sunday with few ill effects, and I'll run again tomorrow to see how it's doing.

Can saddle shape and position have any effect on hamstrings? I have the Edge saddle right now after using the OEM Specialized for a few years, I wonder if I have it in the wrong location/orientation/angle?

19. KrooklynSV

KrooklynSV Usual Suspect

What forum/site do you guys use for used parts? For MTB I typically use PinkBike, but for road bike stuff I have no idea where to look besides Craigslist or eBay.

20. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

Midwest Velo Swap on FB is pretty active.