1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Post your road bicycle

Discussion in 'General' started by cha0s#242, May 19, 2016.

1. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

I always got my bearings from the local bearing shop, Motion Bearings, just give them the numbers.

2. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

Motion Industries is where I buy all bearings, outside of bicycles.

Bloodhound likes this.
  3. Jon Wilkens

Jon Wilkens Well-Known Member

ABEC 5 is simply fancy way to call a closer tolerance to final grind spec. Angular contact bearings can come in several different contact angles but generally 15/30/40 degrees of angular contact. Angulars don't "prefer" a preload...they must have a preload to operate correctly and have an opposing set on other side to make whatever journal or shaft rigid. If you were to install a standard ball bearing...there will be some internal radial clearance that will translate into slop in the crank journal. Cheap is never a word I'd want in a bearing...good bearings are not cheap and cheap bearings are not good.

Only benefit the ceramic will provide is a smaller contact point compared to a steel ball deflection under load...which makes for less torque needed to move. They are designed mainly for high speeds...which will never be seen in a bicycle.

ducnut likes this.
  4. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Just ride the damn thing.

Cannoli likes this.
  5. knedragon29

knedragon29 Well-Known Member

decent BB setup , go Hawk-racing.com

6. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

I can't, at least not until I get new bearings and my hamstring recovers.

7. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

I ordered ABEC 5 BB bearings for a decent price, and I'll be able to keep up on the maintenance as I don't believe that they are sealed. They look like a hybrid cup and cone with seals. I'll know more in a few days when they arrive.

8. cajun636

cajun636 Honda Junkie.

New new bike. Picked it up as I HATE only having one bike when what goes down. Fun bike. More Aero than the Cervelo, rode it at 6 gap and then two of the days of the MS tour (75 each day). Me and two other guys pulled the whole group 8 of us the whole way even waiting up for the rest at mile 40. Only for me to blow the fuck up with a mile and a half to go

It’s a Gan S, Ultegra, those are Tubulars. Next big purchase is some good aero clinchers. The Gan is the same basic design of the F8 but with 700 Carbon instead of 1100. As Is here it weights 17.8

But. The off season is upon us. And I need a damn Training plan. I have training peaks and use Zwift and have Sufferfest, and just found Rouvy which when you download it is awesome. But who do y’all recommend for a plan that’s basic building until February or so? I have a Cycleops Magnus right now. It’s a wheel on and ok. Eventually I'll get a direct drive one.
    So what y’all recommend? My FTP Is 250 if that matters

Attached Files:

9. RichB

RichB Well-Known Member

Nice bike, for wheels I've been happy with farsports mid depth carbon tubeless. 28mm wide 42/58 f/r comes in at 1525g with dr 350 and cx Ray. I'm running gp5000 in 28s but if you are limited with caliper brakes that width rim would be overkill. Rule of 105 says run a run 105% of the tyre width you'll use.

For a training plan, it's so subjective and personal it's hard to say. Consistency, volume and intensity is the main thing I remember. What's the event in Feb? Might be worth working backwards and saying well that's three one month blocks, i.e. three week build and one week recovery per block, x3. So maybe 1)volume build, 2)V02 build, then 3)race specific build and taper. V02 takes 4-6 weeks for improvements so no point leaving til last.

I use zwift and aim for two workouts, two races and two active recovery sessions with a day off. So far so good. Check out my team DIRT, a good crew with lots of US based rides and races.

Edit: was going to say, with that bike I'm guessing you are tallish, so if you were 175-190pounds you might be aiming for an achievable 290-320 FTP if you didn't have something in mind. Not that it's the be all and and all.

cajun636 likes this.
  10. Newsshooter

Purty bike, I've been using sufferfest/training peaks. Seems to work well and is matched to your FTP, though sometimes it seems easier than it should. But then you need easier days too. You can always do a longer warm up before the training session and adjust your FTP setting. After a month or so on the training regimen I'd bump it up 10 points or so and see how it feels.
    You already know you're a sprinter so I'd guess TT, interval, and climbing workouts as those aren't your strengths.

11. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

I cannot recommend TrainerRoad enough. They have specific plans built to fit within your time availability and the workouts are well defined. With erg mode, I just sit and spin and watch the power bars until they match up. It's fantastic. Makes me sad to think the damage I could have done with that program back in my junior days.

I'm running low-volume Base I right now, which I'll complete next week. I'll jump straight into Base II, but not sure on the volume just yet. Trying to balance the workouts with weight training.

cajun636 likes this.
  12. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

Any of you guys have experience on the Michelin Power Competitions? I've run GP4000 S2s forever, but the Michelins look pretty cool and seem pretty light.

cajun636 likes this.
  13. cajun636

cajun636 Honda Junkie.

I’m not tall. Although maybe the look of the set up may give that appearance. I’m 5’9” 195. There is no real event per say in February that’s just when I’ll be just getting back onto the road and riding outdoors. I don’t race, I only ride with racers. I am thinking about doing some Crits next year also. And that does sound like a pretty solid idea plan wise. What I am really shooting for is to not let my fitness drop and build from
    Where I’m at. I’m ADD like a mofo so doing anything over 1.5 hours on the trainer kills me.

And as Newshooter said, I’m a sprinter. So what my real problem is, is I really need a better base. But time is the issue there.

And not sure about the Michelin’s but love the GP5000’s. Have you looked at the rolling resistance page? I’ve had them
    All but trainer road. And I do like Sufferfest but
    What I’m lookin for is a complete training plan. I guess I’m answering my own damn questions lol

Senna likes this.
  14. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

trainerroad is exactly what you’re looking for.

15. cajun636

cajun636 Honda Junkie.

see that’s the thing I like about Rouvy, it takes actual gradients and climbs and puts the inputs back into the trainer. So for me, it simulates real life. I used to hate climbing but actually like it now. But have nothing but bridges here :-/

16. bwhip

bwhip latebraker.com

Last night was my first ride on my new Tacx Neo 2 trainer, after nearly 20 years of winter riding on various non-smart liquid or magneto trainers, usually with Sufferfest videos or various YouTube simulations.

Game changer!

I paired it with their app, which enables you to ride dozens of different cool routes around the world, and the faster/harder your pedal, the faster the scenery goes by. And it's amazing to have the trainer constantly changing the resistance, just like out on the real road, instead of just simple intervals where it's a steady gear and pace for several minutes, then another for several minutes, etc. It makes me eager to go ride again, instead of sort of dreading the drudgery of riding on the trainer. Really happy I invested in this.

17. Newsshooter

Yep, smart trainers are amazing, and the wheel off models are much quieter than the wheel on trainers. Just saw that REI has that model on sale too.

cajun636 likes this.
  18. bwhip

bwhip latebraker.com

SUPER quiet, which only adds to how impressive this is :)

cajun636 likes this.
  19. cajun636

cajun636 Honda Junkie.

Yep they are cool as hell. I plan on selling my Magnus soon and getting a direct drive. The ability to tune your body to such a finite point is awesome and that’s what I want it for.

the Magnus is good tho, but as much time
    As I plan on spending on it, I’d rather upgrade

20. RichB

RichB Well-Known Member

I couldn't do a training plan without it being interactive but each to their own. Be realistic with what you can achieve in three months, maybe pick one thing to focus. Update the thread in Feb with your progress!