1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Post up your "NEW" and "AFFORDABLE" health care rate

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by Fencer, Oct 9, 2013.

1. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

I find it all very confusing and I am not really sure what "Obamacare" is. Is it like a govt health care plan or medicare or something? We have health insurance through Humana at my company and for my wife and I it costs $134 a month with $3500 deductible. The company deposits $2500 in our HSA every year so I guess its only $1000 deductible. Seems like a good plan according to my wife but I haven't used it.

One thing that's weird is now some ins companies are requiring a checkup upon enrolment and also some kind of non smokers affidavit or you are forced to pay a higher premium. There is also some kind of weird points system and you can get discounts or some shit if you wear a fit-bit and do exercises and stuff. That's a bit overboard for me but I did the initial check up and all that. Kind of a pain in the ass to have to jump through hoops just to get insurance.

2. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

just for giggles on page 3 of the Law.

3. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Our insurance is this way too. If you participate in the Wellness Programs they cut your deductible in half. They're mostly silly, get online once a week for a certain period and log your activity/excercise. The only thing I have to do that's somewhat inconvenient is go to the doctor for a checkup once per year. The results don't affect my rates (for now).

I see it as fairly common sense. If we're going to call health insurance "insurance", then it should be treated as such. My car insurance rate is based on risk factors, why wouldn't my health insurance be? Now if you want to call it a "maintenance plan", which is how most people look at it, then that's a different story.

4. TurboBlew

what if your Employer is using it to gauge if you're a risk to their company wellness plan? :D You race motorcycles & like craft beer with Marlboro reds? Heres your walking papers! :D

5. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

It's coming

[​IMG]

rk97 and TurboBlew like this.
  6. thrak410

thrak410 My member is well known

Man, I had a guy argue with me that the "vast majority" of people had their premiums go down and I was an outlier becuase I am a business owner... I tried to tell him that I didnt know a single person who has benefitted but he wasnt having it... He also said that every poll shows the public supports it, but i found the exact opposite...

These people are delusional and dont live in reality.

XFBO, aedwards01 and Fencer like this.
  7. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

My sister has worked for the same hospital since the 70's, and she thinks Obamacare is wonderful.
    People are flooding the emergency room for anything and everything.
    Junkies are shooting up in the parking lot, "just in case".
    And JIC happens a lot with all the bad junk out there.
    Meanwhile, she says her own plan through the hospital sucks, but blames that on corporate greed.

8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I have not talked to one single person who had their premium drop. I have not found one single person (talked to a lot of restaurant/bar industry peeps about it) who has insurance now because of Obamacare. If they couldn't afford it before they still can't afford it. The college kids all have it through parents or school - no change for them.

9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

So what's so wonderful about it? That they have more customers so they bill more and make more money? How many of those junkies are actually insured anyway? Even if they get it cheaper, insurance isn't something a junkie concerns themselves with, much less getting online at one time of year to get insurance.

10. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Another thing it killed is the full time summer job.

11. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

What's going on with the penalties for no insurance, are they enforcing them ? Anybody heard of someone dealing with it ?

12. Chango

Chango Something clever!

I paid one this year because I quit my job early last year and had a 7-month gap in coverage before I found the new job and made it through the probationary period.

13. TurboBlew

thats some irony. In the junkies case(s) Ive heard reports of hospitals having detox wards... basically a locked room with couches, chairs and garbage cans. Usually has someone volunteering from NA to assist. Not a whole lotta budget needed there.

And the other irony is the high chance of a mis-diagnosis in an ER. But that could be my own unfortunate incidents clouding my judgement.

14. joec

joec brace yourself

Paid on your tax filing.

15. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

I have talked to a few that have benefited, 100% of them with pre-existing conditions. Oh and not a lot of them. OF course Obama has also created a boom industry of disability with a ton of lazy people getting on the dole as crippled. The only problem they have in most cases is not a hard enough kick in the backside.

16. Lawn Dart

Lawn Dart Difficult. With a big D.

Except now, I think its mandated. A couple years ago, I started getting notices about mandatory healthcare from my school, and this year was the first time I've complained because the amount of information they require. Previously, it was sort of an honor system - I check "yes, I already have it". This year, they want to know with whom, the specific plan, the address, how to reach the administration, etc. I finally called and raised hell because I'm an out of state student, part time, and an adult - basically said, "I'm not who your mandatory system was meant for" and they gave me a pass on it... Thankfully, I only have this semester and next before I'm done.

17. Captain Morgan

Captain Morgan Well-Known Member

A question? So I let my healthcare plan expired last July because when I went to renew it, found out it was not good enough to meet ACA standards even though it was blue cross/ blue shield based out of the US but its designed for Expats. I thought about keeping it and just getting Obamacare with a cheap minimum plan to keep the taxman happy. But after talking to my insurance company I learned that it would probably be a problem and could get denied a claim if I have another insurance company as well. So I left it at that and went to South America on vacation for 5 months.

I'm back now in Florida but already starting to plan my escape. I would like to take care of getting health insurance before I leave again. Saw the headlines today about Obamacare already moving forward to be repealed. I'm sure it won't happen overnight. Not sure if I go back with my old insurance if I'm going to get fined or is it possible Trump will get rid of that before I file taxes? Don't want to buy Obamacare because who know's what will happen in the next 6 months but I'm not really comfortable right now being uninsured. I've already chanced my luck for the last 7 months

18. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

the government that "gives" you health care can take your health care away.

I understand that some people are upset that repeal is imminent, but this is precisely why you don't rely on the government FOR ANYTHING.

19. Fonda Dix

Fonda Dix Well-Known Member

Repeal and replace is horseshit. It will just shift the money to some other asshole getting rich.

The government has no business controlling 1/5 of the economy.

Repeal and let market forces drive what happens.

20. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I'm hoping they're just lying about the replace to shut people up.

crashman likes this.