1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Portable tool box recomendations

Discussion in 'General' started by Rob P, Oct 30, 2016.

1. Rob P

Rob P Well-Known Member

I am looking to consolidate my tools into something more portable organized for the track. My home tool box is a large rollaway, but I am looking for a better solution to take with me. I want something that isn't too heavy and portable. It should have some provisions to separate and organize tools, I don't want to dump everything into one compartment and constantly searching out tools. Should be reasonably durable, but can be any material. Anyone have any suggestions?

2. t11ravis

t11ravis huge carbon footprint

Fat Max!

omatter34 likes this.
  3. omatter34

omatter34 Well-Known Member

This. A couple other companies are makimg something solar now too, if you don't like that the Fat Max for some reason.

4. Rob P

Rob P Well-Known Member

Which fat max? Fat max is a whole line of tools and boxes.

5. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

:stupid:

Just spent a few minutes looking at their line.

6. t11ravis

t11ravis huge carbon footprint

7. omatter34

omatter34 Well-Known Member

^same here.

8. speedluvn

9. Rob P

Rob P Well-Known Member

My only issue with that is they are three big bins which become abysses for tools. I like drawers and compartments. A metal tool chest would be good if it wasn't such a tank. One of the things I have been using is a tackle box which works pretty well to organize, but isnt big enough for everything.

10. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

11. MotoGP69

MotoGP69 Well-Known Member

I like the metal cantilever style, but you'll likely need a second box for bulky stuff.

12. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

13. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

Those fat max boxes are just terrible. Get on Local Craigslist and score a used Matco or snap on roll around box with 2-3 drawers.

It'll lock, last a lifetime and best of all, keep your shit ORGANIZED!

turbulence and DucatiBomber like this.
  14. speedluvn

Care to expound?

15. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

Sure, looks like yalls tools would be all thrown in a bottomless pit of shit thatbyou cant find.

The key is organization. For your bike on a race or trackday weekend you need tools to
    Remove body and tank
    Service brakes
    Remove wheels
    Crash repair pieces
    Etc.

You need a few drawers for that. A plastic tote is great for small spares but if when you need a tool quick and efficient then the last thing you wanna do is dig through 40 tools looking for a specific one.

You can get a quality roll cart with nice wheels used for $200

TX Joose and wanderlust like this.
  16. Rob P

Rob P Well-Known Member

Are you talking about a shop cart? Those would be great for an enclosed trailer, otherwise take up too much room.

17. Woofentino Pugr

Woofentino Pugr Well-Known Member

I have a Husky 26" 5 drawer roller with 6 drawer chest on it in the trailer. Was around $220 total. Light enough I can roll it up and down the ramp if need be. I did bolt the chest to the roller though.

18. Rob P

Rob P Well-Known Member

I need something I can lift into a truck.

19. I've watched a fat max handle rip straight off. An old boss of mine was getting it out of his truck and he went to go lift it from the bottom and balance it with the top handle and it broke off. It just seemed flimsy. I wouldn't buy one.

20. Woofentino Pugr

Woofentino Pugr Well-Known Member