1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Port St Lucie FLA, yay or nay

Discussion in 'General' started by Rene Bucek, Jan 12, 2022.

1. Rene Bucek

Rene Bucek Well-Known Member

Heat doesn't bug me, it's the wild weather swings that I'm tired of dealing with. Where I live the hottest days of the year reach upwards of 40*C (104*F) and the coldest days can be as low as -30*C (-22*F). Plus it's humid AF here in the summer too. It's the 70*C (126*F) swing in weather every 6 months that I'm done with. I haven't looked specifically, but I imagine the temperature swing in FL is less than half of that. What 10*C (50*F) on the coldest day and 45*C (112*F) on the hottest. I can deal with that.

Rico888 likes this.
  2. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

Damn! You learn something new everyday.

3. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

Florida's full. Moose out front shoulda' told 'ya.

Seriously though.....

Look into my area in South Brevard County (Viera/Melbourne/Satellite Beach/Indialantic). There are spots what you can do everything or nothing, and properties ranging from small .25 acre communities to sprawling rural area (like mine) with 1.5 acres+. Plenty of shops within range and dining options are everywhere.

We are just far enough from the tourist traps like Orlando to not deal with too much out of state riff-raff, but close enough to make a quick jaunt to the city if you wanna have a date night or catch a good show.

You are always 15 minutes or less from VERY good beaches with occasionally decent surf (Kelly Slater is proof positive) and the boating is everywhere from offshore fishing, utilizing the Indian River, or tons of inland creeks and stick marshes.

Bones is that the summers here close to the coast are on average 5-7 degrees cooler than if you venture farther in-state due to the ocean breezes........that makes a huge difference in August/September when it's pegging 90 and humidity that you can cut with a knife.

There are some kart tracks like Bushnell (I think), but I'm not too well-versed there. Big tracks you have Jennings (4 hours), PBIR (1.5 hours), and Homestead. PBIR is likely going away from last I heard, as they are turning the property into a distribution center.......not sure how long that will take, however.

Good luck! Been here the vast majority of my life and can't really imagine living somewhere else.

Ducati89 likes this.
  4. NemesisR6

One of the sanest things I've ever heard......

5. JCP636

JCP636 Well-Known Member

Come to Pinellas County! Sent you a PM

6. Wingnut

Wingnut Well-Known Member

We lived off the coast of Stuart (Sewalls Point) which is about 20 minutes south of Port St Lucie. We loved Stuart. Plenty of things to do, good schools, good beaches, quiet and no high rise buildings.

Ducati89 and Pixelator like this.
  7. HPPT

HPPT !!!

I hear Tennessee is not one of the best places for surfing.

BigBird and rd400racer like this.
  8. lizard84

lizard84 My “fuck it” list is lengthy

just no, again , we’re full

JCP636 likes this.
  9. R Acree

R Acree Banned

SC is full

10. DucatiBomber

DucatiBomber DJ Double A

I moved to Florida about 2.5 years ago.
    I did a pretty in-depth research of the areas.
    First thing I would I ask is are you dead set on the east coast ? You mentioned surfing so maybe that eliminates the west coast.

If not I would look at the west coast.

Whether you have kids or not pay attention to the school district where you are looking to buy. Florida is notorious for bad schools. So that can impact your resale value.

Housing market is insane down here. My house has jumped 40% in value in 2 years. Lots of buyers coming with cash. My neighbors house had 28 offers on first day sold for $30,000 over list

I ended up buying in Lake Wood Ranch, Manatee County.

I’m 30 minutes from Siesta Key beach and Anna Maria Island beaches.

Im far enough inland that my home owners isn’t much more than I paid in Pennsylvania.

Just like other areas they base it on floodplain maps.

Where I am at I’m 15 minutes from Sarasota/Bradenton airport. 50 minutes from Tampa International. 2 hours from Orlando (more international flights I’ve flown out of there a couple times when I had to travel internationally)

When people ask me how I deal with the heat in the summer I ask them what they do in the winter when it’s really cold. They stay in the house with the heat on. Do the same down here in the summer with the ac on.
    However in mornings or evening I can almost always do something in summer before it gets ridiculously hot.

I bought a house with a pool. Love it. Wouldn’t live here without one .

Any other questions let me know if you look at west coast

BigBird and Wingnut like this.
  11. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

I’d strongly suggest coming down, spending a few weeks/months, and bouncing around to several areas you’re interested in.

Personally, if you can afford it, I’d be looking east of I-295, in JAX, FL. Of the beach areas I’ve visited/lived in FL, it’s the most accessible, laidback vibe, restaurants, festivals, and has easy accessibility to other parts of the country/coast. “TurboBlew” is well-versed in the area.

I’ve stayed in Sebastian. It’s a very small town feel, but, on the coast. Definitely not a prosperous area and the housing/neighborhoods reflect that. I didn’t see any reason to permanently stay there.

The panhandle is a dump, outside a few pockets of tourist towns.

Currently, I’m in the southwest of FL and it’s so overcrowded, underdeveloped for the amount of population, minimal beaches with horrible access, 40+% overpriced housing, among other issues. Venice up to Clearwater would be better west coast options, if someone were looking on this side, IMO.

12. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Not from what Phl posted on the face toobs...lots of development. Like every forest in the are being bulldozed level of development.

Plenty of space in SC. C'mon and bring your idiot meth head cousins too.

13. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Why do you choose to believe Phl on this one topic?

14. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

I saw the aerial photo someone posted...it showed lots of houses in development. Plenty of room. Maybe no space for cars or kids in school, etc...but plenty of houses....:D

15. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

You should spend some time in Florida in the summer before saying heat doesn't bother you. In addition to the higher temperatures, you really need to understand the power of the sun down there.

To the posts above, you should really consider the Gulf side of things.

ducnut likes this.
  16. bored&stroked

bored&stroked Disclaimer: Can't spell

The temps ain't shit, but combined with the humidity its a real pain to deal with.
    Florida contains 90% of America's news worthy crazy people, so its fun. Plus beaches, can't go wrong there.
    Its a million times better of a choice then living in southern california.

17. Clay

Clay Well-Known Member

Don't forget about the trillions of mosquitos that can carry away your small dog or cat...

18. NemesisR6

....or cuddly critters like this little fella who meandered near my front door this past summer:

225162630_4855358097824067_8782532398705109237_n.jpg

19. pawpawrc

pawpawrc Well-Known Member

If you want to see what the waterways are like, get a copy of Moonraker. There is a jungle river boat chase scene that was filmed on the St Lucie River a few miles from where I grew up. Pretty rustic.

Pixelator likes this.
  20. Big T

Big T Well-Known Member

Another consideration of living at/near the coast is homeowners insurance.
    There are coastal counties where regular homeowners excludes wind damage and you have to buy an additional policy.