1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Porsche 356 RSR

Discussion in 'General' started by NemesisR6, Jun 10, 2019.

1. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Speaking of Porsches, how much of a basket case is a late 80’s air cooled 911 likely to be?

2. Wingnut

Wingnut Well-Known Member

My Mom was there in her new Z06 and no one even stops to check it out. Poor Mom .....

My brother has taken some of our old Mopar superstock and hemi cars there, so say hi if you see one.

3. BigBird

BigBird blah

The American side has some nice cars, but yeah,no one really went across the border.
    It was like there was an invisible wall.

Brother 996TT, mom Z06 [emoji106][emoji106]

Sent from my smatrfone

4. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

What's the deal with old ladies and insane HP cars? Your moms in Z06's, a lady at my chiropractor's office not long a convertible Z06, and a really old lady in a 911 turbo cab I saw (at walmart of all places) this weekend.

5. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

They look good, but leak oil. Pretty pricey too and are not fast compared to modern cars.

6. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Yeah. A quick autotrader search showed a ton of early 2000's water cooled cars for CHEAP but no air cooled. I guess those are the ones with the bearing issues.

I'd like to find something that's old enough that it's mostly done depreciating that'll be fun to monkey with - preferably European and open top.

7. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

A “Wheeler Dealer” episode featured one where they did the center bearing. If you had access to a lift and a bit of aptitude, it looked pretty easy.

8. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

You need an Alfa or 80s Jag.

Either of those should scratch that itch and also teach you a lot about working on cars....

Phl218 likes this.
  9. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

no

Phl218 likes this.
  10. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

The early water cooled are much less money and have the IMS bearing issue. Never owned one, but hear not near as many fail as people worry about.

The turbos of that era are getting to low 40's which should be less money than a regular 911 from late 80s like you mentioned. The turbos do not have the bearing issue.

ducnut likes this.
  11. OGs750

OGs750 Well-Known Member

If you're interested in an air cooled P-car, you're about 6 years too late. All the tech hipsters have been buying them up where Targas are now fetching 40+ kilodollars.

12. Resident Plarp

Resident Plarp drittsekkmanufacturing.com

Some more real Porsche images.

porsche 1.jpg

porsche 4.jpg

scottn, ducnut and cpettit like this.
  13. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

14. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

I went to a Porsche open house at a shop here in Cincy Saturday and saw this. I think it’s the coolest Porsche ever. They said it is a factory made reproduction. I don’t hate that 365 RSR but as far as beauty goes..... it doesn’t get much better than this one.

1246B916-1273-45B9-942E-F94749EC0884.jpeg

Attached Files:

scottn and pscook like this.
  15. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

There's an ugly ass green and tan 80's 911 that I drive past from time to time. Based on what you're saying, it might literally be worth more than the house it's parked in front of. Maybe I should hit them up (although it might not be running)?

16. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Air cooled Porsche 911 prices have been softening for at least a couple years. You can get a late 80s 911 cabriolet in the high 20s or low 30s no problem. You will never really lose money on it, but maintenance is expensive. Engine rebuilds are approaching $20,000 these days.

17. Wingnut

Wingnut Well-Known Member

Moms always been into hotrods, done the Bondurant school and tried her hand at some Autocross stuff. Currently owns a 911, Boxster S, turbo panamera, a 65 convertible Vette and the Z06. She was at the dealership yesterday looking to trade her Audi Q5 for a turbo Macan. She just turned 72 fyi.

BigBird likes this.
  18. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Completely over blown...the 996 is a dirt cheap way to get into a 911 if you want one.

BigBird and ducnut like this.
  19. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

20. Resident Plarp

Resident Plarp drittsekkmanufacturing.com

You'd appreciate the colorful Porshe's engine, it's an all-magnesium affair.
    Wouldn't argue with you on those points.
    The cars were all restored, from the frame up - I can't find the before pictures at the moment, but here's one of the engine that, I'm told, has a magnesium engine block?

engine.jpg