1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Politely GFY

Discussion in 'General' started by The, Jun 30, 2020.

1. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

Nice boat. My Uncle had an old Lyman that we took out onto lake Erie to fish. That thing rode those waves so much better than the modern fiberglass boats.

Back to the original question. There are only 2 people I would loan my trailer out to. One of them always returns anything he borrows in better condition than he got it. The other let me ride a track day session on his SV Superbike with unobtanium parts on it. Takes a while to build that kind of trust.

On the other hand, there are lots of friends and family that I would use my trailer and tow vehicle to help them move something.

Pixelator likes this.
  2. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

I'll be damned...my dad towed a 14' Lyman behind his big boat just so us kids could goof around. I think it had a 35 Johnson. I learned to pilot a boat thanks to that little Lyman.

3. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

My Uncle's boat was a bit bigger at about 28' with a 10' beam. Fireball V8 inboard. Not much cabin, mostly open in the back for fishing space.
    Pretty similar to this one:
    http://www.antiqueboatamerica.com/Boat/26_Feet_1971_Lyman_Sleeper_39948

4. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Water, water, every where,
    And all the boards did shrink;
    Water, water, every where,
    Nor any drop to drink.

- Samuel Taylor Coleridge

Wooden boats are beautiful, but they become your life if you want them to live.

rd400racer likes this.
  5. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Exactly what I told a co worker last week..... Hey Man can I use your trailer to move Next Saturday? I need your truck too to pull it... I just said let me think about it..No go fuck yourself..

RichB and TurboBlew like this.
  6. Exactly. I’ve been in a couple older “sport” wooden boats with modern power plants and they are just awesome. Yes they are a fair amount of work but they look awesome, ride like nothing else and you just get a different boating experience in them. Old wood boats have a soul that’s not present on a glass boat.

7. masshole

masshole sixoneseven

Iron Maiden too, I think

8. fastfreddie

Rhyme of the Ancient Mariner.

masshole likes this.
  9. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Rime.

Fucking savages. :rolleyes:

10. fastfreddie

Thank you. I knew it didn't look right, nor was it consistent with the story.

Out of curiosity, did you spend much time on the water in Maine?

11. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Never really recreationally, spent some time sterning for my BIL back before he was dating my sister. @auminer likes to say panning for gold is colder than plucking lobsters out of the North Atlantic in December.

Gonna try and get the girls on an offshore fishing excursion this summer while we’re out, there’s an outfit that caters to kids

12. fastfreddie

Any time on the water is a good time, even when it's not.

One summer when I was young, we stayed at a cottage in Five Islands while our house in Brunswick was being built. A hurricane rolled through. From our cove, we could look across the river in the direction of Boothbay harbor. The damn crazy lobstermen were out in their boats haulin' traps. One wave they would crest over the top, next wave the boat would disappear as they plowed through it. Wash/rinse/repeat. Been sold on lobster boats ever since.
    Really fell in love with Maine in the three years we lived there. Skiing, Popham Beach, nice summers, Boston Whalers, windjammers, dories, lobsters, stock car racing, ice racing...and the three cottages on the cove we spent a month in each summer.
    Beautiful State. I've been wanting to schedule a trip with Yzass for years...turn her on to a lobster bake in the sand on some island beach. :beer:

13. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Well she’s shit outta luck this year, dungeon dungeon dungeon dungeon dungeon dungeon dungeon. :D

14. fastfreddie

Ain't we all...

Totally thinkin' Windjammer Days for next year. If time allows, on up to Acadia and, maybe, even the Bay of Fundy to see the Old Sow and the 50' tidal range.

15. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Sounds like a good time. Don’t think my bratlings would be too into watching the largest whirlpool in North America. Goldfish attention spans ;)

16. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

It's interesting taking the ferry through the Old Sow but it goes to Canada so it may not be running.
    We used to camp in that area and it's beautiful.