1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Polishing 318 Stainless Steel

Discussion in 'Tech' started by tony 340, Feb 24, 2010.

1. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

Totally non motorcycle related.

I ask here, because frankly, all the boards I go to, there are some pretty smart dudes here with a lot of experience.

Say I bought a tanker trailer that was 318 stainless.

It was painted.

If I either hydroblasted the tank, or sandblasted the tank could I then have it polished? Or would it not work?

I'm thinking I could have it polished, just not really sure at this point, never really had any experience with stainless thus far in my career.

2. bEeR

bEeR Hookers & Blow

Hmm..... figured it'd be aluminum instead of stainless.

3. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

If you use any kind of abrasive media...you will compound the work x10....strip a small area and see if you can polish it up by had first..
    You can check with your local airport and see if they can recommend a plane polisher that could help you out.

4. tony 340

That's why I was thinking of using the ole waterblaster on it.

They knock paint off no problem. Cut your damn foot off if you aren't paying attention.

I know of a company that polishes Aluminum tankers, maybe I'll give them a call and see if they will do stainless.

5. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

A chemical strip will work better than an abrasive blaster, like Britt said. Some paint hangers at airports use a strong paint remover that won't damaged the surface. Be careful with the water blaster around seals, if it'll take off your foot it will slice right through the gasket on a lid.

This tanker must have hauled some pretty corrosive stuff to be 318SS. I'll bet it is heavy.

6. tony 340

It's for a vac truck.

The truck it is on is a POS.

I'm buying the whole thing off craigslist for 15K.

Gonna take the tank and put it on a newer Kenworth triple axle. Then sell the international with detroit diesel for a couple thousand if I can.

Anybody in SE Michigan want a cheap starter truck for 3K let me know.

Probably get a bigger pump as the one on it is only 900CFM.

Still a pretty good deal, the tank new would be 40K or more easily. It'll haul pretty much anything you can put in it. Believe it or not, bleach will "pit" out the metal inside the tanker if left in there long enough.