1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Plan for introducing kids to riding

Discussion in 'General' started by grasshopper, Dec 20, 2017.

1. grasshopper

grasshopper Well-Known Member

As some of you know my wife and I had girl / boy twins last year. They are almost a year and a half now and walking / running around pretty good in my opinion. They are still having a bit of an issue navigating obstacles especially with their shoes on but getting better on a daily basis. I've noticed that being in daycare they've progressed quite well from being around other kids especially a bit older.

So about getting them into riding. I know there isn't really a right way or set way to go about this. I have a couple radio flyer 4 wheel bikes I want to get them on soon like the picture below. That way they can get used to the bars and pushing off and I've had a set of Striders since before they were born. I don't want to push too much but I do want them to experience and have the opportunity. It's still probably a little early right?

What is the youngest I should be able to get a motor under them like a PW50 or something? Just looking for some advice from the motorcycle / racer enthusiasts out there who have gone through the process. I'm just excited because we are getting to the point where they can actually do stuff. It's not just constant feeding and changing diapers NON STOP! Raising these 2 over the last year and half has been one of the bigger challenges in my life and I know it's not going to get any easier. Onward!

upload_2017-12-20_16-30-59.png

Photo likes this.
  2. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

I hear a CBR1000RR is a good starter bike.

3. Phl218

Phl218 .

Stryder pw50 ktm moriwaki r6 motogp

4. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

Strider as soon as they can walk.

John29, noles19 and Shenanigans like this.
  5. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

They may have interests of their own that might be different than yours...so keep that in mind. :)

VFR#52 and grasshopper like this.
  6. Shenanigans

Shenanigans in Mr.Rogers neighborhood

Strider bike for sure.

7. Phl218

Phl218 .

My 2yo loves his stryder but pushes it walking next to it the same amount as walking ON it.
    I’m not pushing him to do it but I can tell he is obsessed with bikes.
    He loves to ride on the 450 with me so a 50 is in its way here... then we will see

8. beechkingd

beechkingd Well-Known Member

My middle son was on a large power wheels atv at 18 months old and was an ace on it in a few days. He was able to back it between cars with inches to spare and never hit anything! It was a hand me down from his older brother so he just got on and rode. He was on a stryder at 2 and was pedaling at 3.5 with out training wheels. Last summer he graduated to a JR50 at 5, he's a little shorter than his brother and could have easily ridden the XR50 earlier if he could reach the ground. It all depends on the kid though. He's been on a mini mx track a few times and loves riding around with his big brother.

My daughter who is now 4 on the other hand is even more excited by dirt bikes, but wasn't able to successfully operate the power wheels atv until she was 3. She is finally getting the idea of throttle control when she rides sitting on my lap but she likes to go way to fast. She will likely be the fastest of all my kids if she doesn't scare herself.

9. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

Strider bike. Keep it in the house and they'll pick it up quick. Even just sitting on, and walking around on it.

Those bikes could be triple the price and still be worth it. My son might never desire to race seriously, but I see him catch front end movement on the CRF50 and I just shake my head, in jealously.

10. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

People who use "months" for an age after one really piss me off. I have a 2 and halfer and thinkin' along your same lines on getting the boy on a bike. Probably don't want to push them onto it too much, but them just being around bikes and stuff will obviously get the better of their curiosity. I think the key is to not scare the shit out of them and do it on their terms. Doesnt hurt to hone their skills on other play toys, doesn't necessarily have to be bikes, but things that take coordination.

11. Phl218

Phl218 .

Ok, boy is bout 892 days old now, loves to climb on all my bikes. Doesn’t talk a lot yet but says wroooar for motorcycle. Pitches it high to the end when he wants to ride. I need to get him one of those pocket bikes... probably when he turns 26,280 hours

12. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

Smart ass Germans and yer damn numbers...:D

VFR#52 and Phl218 like this.
  13. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

My daughter is 80 months old, and the boy is 53 months, currently. But that changes quad-weekly.

badmoon692008, Phl218 and beechkingd like this.
  14. First things first - STRIDER. looking back as Eddie stated about the value with what he learned from the Strider I’d pay $500 for one without thinking twice. He went straight to a bicycle without training wheels, was riding in literally 5 minutes. As far as the PW, my sons had one since he was 3 but didn’t really get into until this year at 5. I didn’t want to push him too hard but as soon as he started asking to ride there was a trail of flames from my feet running to the shop to grab it and his gear. I always kept it in “ready to ride” condition as when HE was ready to ride he wasn’t waiting an hour for me to gas it up, find out a jets clogged, check it over, etc. Now it’s his go to after school, weekends, etc. we are at the point now I think I’m going to grab an xr100 so I can chase him around easier (well plus maybe do some flat tracking on it but ya know, this is to support that kid :). I grooved the tires on the Zuma and it’s pretty handy chasing him around but not ideal. The KTM 300 is a bit overkill and obviously not great for riding with a 5 year old. Speaking of I have to change the damn tires today, SOB.

warclok, grasshopper and dtalbott like this.
  15. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

Mine was into Razor scooters starting around 4. This helped tremendously with balance, coordination and confidence.

16. renegade17

renegade17 Well-Known Member

Expose them to bikes, races, and the shop. They have to see it to be intrigued.

17. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

I took my son with me to a track day when he was 4. He saw another kid on a crf50.

Next thing I heard.

“Dad for my birthday I want a blue dirt bike”

He will be 8 in June and he will be doing some NJMiniGP next year. He did a camp this past September and absolutely loved it.

CRF110 is in the shed for Xmas. So he can MiniGP the 50 and we can play in the dirt on our CRFs. Because, “Dad when I get my 110 some day I want a Honda so we match this time”

Phl218, grasshopper, RichB and 2 others like this.
  18. cav115

cav115 Well-Known Member

19. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

Last year, when my son was 1 year old, I took him to the bicycle shop with me and he reacted exactly like his daddy is at a motorcycle or bicycle shop :D

20. grasshopper

grasshopper Well-Known Member

I'll grab the stiders out of the garage and put them in the living room once they can push the radio flyer thing around. Thanks for the advice, comments and insight guys. I'll keep you posted on progress.