1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pitbull TRS twisting swingarms ?

Discussion in 'General' started by DBConz, Jan 4, 2021.

1. R Acree

R Acree Banned

And what non-engineers and non-statisticians refer to as BS.:D

2. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

A good engineer would call it expected. Such a low incident occurrence is really really good.

If it isnt obvious, I find it fun to think about hypothetical extreme cases and HOW they might happened.

3. lopitt85

lopitt85 Well-Known Member

If I didn't do a good job expressing my thoughts, this is what I meant earlier in my post. That's the only way I see forces being large enough to tweak the swingarm.

I don't think it would be a common occurrence, but would be possible if the side to side motion of the trailer is violent enough.

The front end of the bike trying to rotate violently left to right, around the mounting point, repeatedly, would put some pretty extreme forces way at the end of the lever (i.e. bike rear axle/swing arm/mounting point) with some significant mass behind the motion.

4. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

Seems like any easy way to test is put the bike in the TRS and Lift the bike from the front and see if there is any side to side movement. Bike is being held at 2 points on either side of the axle, not a single point. Not an engineer and did not stay in a Holiday Inn.

5. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

Nothing against RCA, i’m just in the camp of chalk it up to “shit happens” and move on. Theres a lot more meaningful things to do with the time wasted doing RCA on this.

sdg likes this.
  6. cav115

cav115 Well-Known Member

Is this because your swingarm is canted 10 degrees to the right to give you a CW advantage??? :D

ekraft84 and baconologist like this.
  7. Phl218

Phl218 .

in an FMEA, the occurrence and severity rating combined would probably lead to an alternative design if the TRS were automotive parts.

8. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

Whats the meaning of severity rating? I dont remember that term.

9. OGs750

OGs750 Well-Known Member

How bad is it when the bad thing happens. Like chipping paint would be a 1 and killing someone would be a 10.

10. Phl218

Phl218 .

severity: and detection:
    [​IMG]

the total number is the multiplier of occurrence, severity and detection. all go from 1-10. you don't want a 10 anywhere, since it means you wouldn't detect it, it is surely to occur or deadly when it happens (severe) .

BigBird and stangmx13 like this.
  11. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

So, 8-1-6?

Phl218 likes this.
  12. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

I actually really like CCW.. lol

cav115 likes this.
  13. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

The TRS didn’t “cause” the bends. If anything “caused” them, in the given hypothetical, it would be the extreme forces applied to the mass being held in place by the TRS.

Rising Sun, Phl218, OGs750 and 2 others like this.
  14. 05Yamabomber

05Yamabomber Dammit Haga

I can see this happening in an extreme case. Especially if bouncing and swaying at same time. Would not deter me from using the TRS though. Its on the list of things to get for the trailer. The last trip my R6 took in my trailer, it bounced enough to dislodge the internal pump in my fuel pump (popped out). There is a horrible stretch of freeway from Riverside to San Diego. Those bike bounce around even without blown out tires or sway.

15. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

Stress designed in a specific manner though. You can probably dent most swingarms with a good blow with your fist. I mean, they totally these things out by the 100's for small crashes because they are made to be light, its just the name of the game. I'm not saying its an everyday occurrence, i've used those restraints and they were THE thing to have for sure, but I always questioned what would happen if the front of the bike really wanted to go in whatever direction it wanted to. It didnt stop me from using them for sure, but I was well aware of what could possibly happen.

16. sdg

sdg *

They total these things out for cosmetics...

17. Phl218

Phl218 .

Let’s put it this way:

you drive your car buckled up and knowing there’s an airbag in place if shit went south.

You pop a tire, swerve into a wall, airbag and belt saved you. Car is wrecked though. Damn potholes.

same for the trs. It holds the bike in place properly and safely.

people haul bikes all over the place with them.

shit goes south. Trailer tire pops and the thing does a roller coaster sans the loop. Bike is still there but there might be a bruise here or there. +/-3 degree / % depending on the bike

a SHTF-Proof restraint system would run you 3x the cost of a TRS and surely more than a TPMS for your non-pressure checked china bomb trailer tires you’re hauling the thousands of $ of race stuff around with

(You as in not you personally but the general trailer public)

18. Knotcher

Knotcher Well-Known Member

One strategically placed tie down ring in front of each bike and a loop of nylon fixes this potential issue.

Rising Sun and lopitt85 like this.
  19. Ducti89

Ducti89 Ticketing Melka’s dirtbike.....

We dont want solutions. We want debate and to argue unknowns...

Gino230, Rising Sun and Phl218 like this.
  20. motoracer1100

motoracer1100 Well-Known Member

Baxley front wheel chock with 4 straps is how I always roll . Never had a problem, never will , end of story .