1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pitbikes at VIR AMA round

Discussion in 'General' started by melissa, Aug 7, 2002.

1. melissa

melissa Sir

I'm sure this has been covered a jillion times but I wasn't paying attention. What are the rules regarding pitbikes at the AMA round at VIR this weekend? Do they allow them at all? Do they need to be licensed? Are they restricted to certain areas? Do they allow bicycles?

TIA.

Melissa

2. racer63

racer63 Well-Known Member

I don't think there were any restrictions at the AMA VIR round last year.... Of course, things like that are always subject to change. Here's a phone number for VIR 434-822-7700. Good luck getting anybody to answer!

3. Buckwild

Buckwild Radical

Generally, anything outside the paddock has to be tagged.
    It wasn't enforced too hard at the AMA event last year however.

ya gotta love these answers that aren't really answers.:)

4. melissa

melissa Sir

Actually, I was hoping it would degenerate into a heated discussion of the relative merits of pitbikes versus bicycles, the unfairness of AMA regulations regarding pit area activities, first-person anecdotes of encounters with track security over pitbikes, that sort of thing.

It's not too late... :D

5. mad brad

mad brad Guest

fu&k pitbikes!! oh, and fu&k france!!

6. WERA29

WERA29 On a mental field trip...

I'm just glad the AMA wasn't at Summit this past weekend. That party on Saturday night was a blast! :cool: It never got too crazy or out of hand and nobody got hurt. I think this proves we should be allowed to cut loose like that at all tracks because we're all rational thinking responsible adults. ;)

7. racer63

FWIW, the VIR Supplemental Regulations do state that non-licensed vehicles are not allowed outside of the paddock.

I save my complaints for the Mid-Ohio and Daytona security guards. Mid-Ohio takes the cake - they spend all their time making it extremely difficult for riders, crew and even officials to get into the paddock area, but on Sunday after the races they pretty much let the fans riot all over the track stealing all the AMA banners. This year, AMA had to send out workers between races to retrieve banners so that they wouldn't be stolen. Doug Chandler had to cut short his two-up ride at the end of the day because there were too many fans on the track :mad:

8. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Laura, great avatar, but how did you get a picture of one of my cats? :)
    Oh yeah, on the pit bikes situation (and especially the france comment). What Brad said! :D

9. racer63

I didn't know he had moved in with you :( He's been MIA since I got back from Mid-Ohio. We still have a very slinky female kitty living on our porch. We named her Melissa because she's an independent female who always wears black. Kinda like the person who started this thread.

10. mcracr

mcracr 2smoke racing 4 life!

I rode my mountain bike all over VIR last year. That was a great way to get around to view different sections of the track during the races.

As for motorized vehicles, I rode my RZ350RR racebike between the VIR AMA pits and the VIR South track for a track day. I rode it multiple times each way, it was numbered but not tagged, and everyone just smiled and waved me through and around all the traffic.

I always buy a Pit Crew Pass ($50-$75, depending on the track) and that lets me go almost anywhere, including right out onto Hot Pit during any practice or race! Of course, I do help out a friend that's participating in the 250GP series w/ some wrenching and timing duties, so I can justify it... :rolleyes:

11. RoadRacerX

RoadRacerX Jesus Freak

When the subject of pitbikes comes up, it always comes to mind the irresponsible behavior I see at practically every track that allows them. I like the idea of being able to cruise around the paddock on a pitbike, but some folks are going to ruin it for everyone- like some tracks already. To the offending parties- please refrain from wheelies and donuts and reckless riding on your pitbikes. Save that junk for your backyards. If a track official sees you doing this stuff, YOU WILL GET THIS PRIVILEGE REVOKED FOR EVERYONE!!! DON'T DO IT! :mad:

12. lfleming_77

lfleming_77 to punish and enslave

where do you get the pit crew passes.

13. MudDawg

MudDawg Engine Killah

There is now a sign just outside the pit area saying no pitbikes allowed around the track. Dunno how hard they will enforce this.

Anybody know if they have finished the dirt track they have been promising this summer??? I'm bringing several 4 stroke dirt bikes....that might even have license plates. I'm hoping to watch some racing.....and then try to bash my hefty XSS into a tree. (My normal woods riding style.)

14. MikeM

MikeM Well-Known Member

Outside the paddock ; Put a tag on it. I'm working and always get the cool pass, so they are little more understanding. Golf carts can go wherever. Can't wait! :D ...

15. MarkB

MarkB All's well that ends well

...yeah Grant....

Grant: "you like wheelie....??"
    parp, parp, crash.....

16. BAMA

BAMA Well-Known Member

...yeah Grant....
    save it for your backyard., wait, didn't you crash tony's 50 in your backyard, umm, then again at road A in the pits, oh, and wait, then again in the back of road A in front of all those people in the "brand new jeans". hee. we love ya grant ;)
    wheelieeeee it !!!!
    (does anyone have a wheelie smilie?)

17. Ex CCS Racer

Ex CCS Racer Banned

I would let him borrow the "booger bike" but Grant's scared of it, no really he is.:D

18. mad brad

mad brad Guest

hey tony, you could ride your pit bike er....... i mean race bike?!?! :p

19. Ex CCS Racer

Ex CCS Racer Banned

Which one? I've got a new addition;)

20. mad brad

mad brad Guest

moved on up to ttr125 have ya? :p