1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pirelli tire selection

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Pneumatico Delle Vittorie, Jun 15, 2018.

1. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

While the gauge might not be accurate, using the same gauge consistently to manage tire pressure will eliminate inaccuracies due to the deltas between gaugeN and gaugeN+1

2. tack514

tack514 Well-Known Member

So what temps are we looking for then? I would just like to have another data point. The best I would be able to do would be laser temp when i get back to the pits. Would this work as an additional data point? I also understand that this will vary depending on climate/distance from track. If I do this 100% would it add any value? I am not willing (at least for now) to investing in a temp tool (plus my dumbass would jabb a hole in my tire)

3. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

I still like to look at the pressure rise right off the track as it's another check to help you manage things. In regards to compounds and ambient temps it's not cut and dried like that. As I said above fast guys can get a SC1 rear to work everywhere and in low temps. So don't worry about actual ambient temps, so when your ready to pick a compound go to your vendor and ask him for help. He'll probably say at your pace use a SC1, or SC0, or if your looking for max tire life a SC2. and you may want to reread my notes up top:D

4. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

I have probably probed 10 thousand plus tires in my career, and you know what it's not going to tell you much. It's like trying look at durometer readings at the track. Collecting durometer data is relevant in a laboratory setting and not in the pits at the Sledges. So look at hot pressures, hot pressures, hot pressures!

5. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Ah bump again

Jaketheone46 likes this.
  6. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

7. mg15

mg15 Member

I have to run a 24hr endurance race on a mini, running 125gp spec 17" wheels. Looks like the temps will range from a high in the mid 70's to a low around 40 degrees. I had a bad experience trying to Diablo Rosso's at a race with temps in the very low 40's. I usually run a 110/70 SC1 front, and a 120/70 SC2 Fr or 125 rear. I was afraid that the race tire wouldn't work at those temps, so I tried the track day tire, thinking it would be far less temp sensitive. They were nearly unrideable. What's your recommendation, considering I need grip over life? The front SC1 easily goes 24hrs, and I expect one rear tire change.

8. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

What motorcycle?

9. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

First time for this question so I have many questions MG15.
    What track and what bike?
    And if you have 125GP wheels then you have a 2.50 wide front and a 3.50 wide rear, right?
    Finally have you tried our 125gp/Moto3 tires in the past?

10. mg15

mg15 Member

Track is Grange Kart track, bike is a mongrel, 250F frame/85 suspension/150cc four stroke. 200lbs, 53" wheelbase, 200lb rider (5-6 riders, so varies).
    Yes, I do have 2.5Fr/ 3.5Rr. Also have a 3.0Fr I want to try. I don't care for the 125/moto3 front, it does not seem to have compliance, with so little sidewall, or air volume. Probably 400lb, bike plus rider weight, is outside range that is common on 160-180lb bike/light rider combo that they are designed for. 110 DOT Fr and 120 DOT FR on rear, or Moto3 rear both are great in more moderate temps, I was just afraid of them in the high 30's/low 40's, so I tried the Rossos.

11. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Sorry I've been golfing a lot before the club closes for the season, but I've been thinking about this one a lot. So based on weight/weird bike and your comments I would try this. The 3.00 front wheel with a 110/70R17 sc1 slick and on the 3.50 rear wheel a 120/70R17 sc2 Moto3/125GP rear. I think the wider front wheel with the 110 may give you the compliance you're looking for. Then play with pressures a bit to see if this set up is what your after.

12. mg15

mg15 Member

Thanks for the reply, after a few days I forgot about it, and didn't check back. I think we're on the same page. Looks like I may be stuck with the 2.50 Fr wheel, seems that the 3.0 isn't going to work out with rotor spacing. It's still a maybe, I have to see if there's another rotor, or how much I can mill.

Latest weather forecast shows night time lows in the mid-40's, and highs in the upper 70's

13. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

2020 bump

The new 125/70R17 & 200/65R17 WSBK tires are arriving as we speak, and here's the specs.
    Pirelli and Dorna have announced a new rear size 190/60R17 slick for World Supersport but it probably won't get to North America until late this year

Attached Files:

14. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

whats the advantage of the 125/70?

15. wortdog

wortdog Active Member

Glad to see another tire in the 670mm+ diameter category alongside the Dunlop, it really helps with keeping rear geometry in range on the Ducati V4.

16. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

New profile helps improve side grip and braking performance

noles19 likes this.
  17. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

For reference
    Previous P slick 200/60 diameter is 662, width is 200
    P slick 200/65 diameter is 672, width is 202
    Previous D slick 200/55 diameter is 656, width is 196
    D slick 200/60 is 671, width is 194

ekraft84 likes this.
  18. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

19. moto316

moto316 Well-Known Member

When are the 200/65’s going to be readily avsilable? I still see vendors peddling the old 200/60s

20. prm

prm Well-Known Member

Supercorsa TD for R6. 180/60 rear. The psi recommended range for off warmers I’ve seen listed is 30-35 front, 25-28 rear. If I don’t yet have warmers what is a good start psi? And then hot fresh off track? I’m slow. Intermediate, for now.
    Will eventually get warmers but probably not for next track day or two.