1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pirelli tire selection

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Pneumatico Delle Vittorie, Jun 15, 2018.

1. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

That's sad news

2. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Don’t forget to flip them!:D

3. AC792

AC792 Well-Known Member

Thanks. I checked out my rim and it is 6", therefore, I'm going to make the move to the 200/60 this season. I'm guessing I will need to re-baseline the suspension to make up for the ride height difference?

4. JBowen33

JBowen33 Only fast on Facebook

There is a 200/65 now I believe.

rafa likes this.
  5. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

The new WSBK sizes are at least a few months out, so 120/70 and 200/60 are what you have now!

6. JBowen33

Ahh that’s a bummer

7. AC792

AC792 Well-Known Member

Thanks all! Next question - who can source me Pirellis here in Wisconsin? [emoji1]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

Jason Farrell @ Farrell Performance.

(920) 236-0000

http://www.farrellperformance.com

AC792 likes this.
  9. wheelz96

wheelz96 Well-Known Member

Figured this is a good thread to ask...

What can I expect to pay for a new set of Pirelli Diablo's at track? Basically cost for mount and new rubber?

10. drop

drop Well-Known Member

About 435

wheelz96 likes this.
  11. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

None of the Pirelli vendors I'm aware of charge you to mount new tires that you purchased from them.

If you bought the tires online, you will probably have to pay to have them mounted and balanced because no one can afford to work for free.

If you want the tire flipped, you will probably have to pay because no one can afford to work for free.

12. wheelz96

This is good to know. I understand and have no problem paying for tires flipped and mounting tires I bought elsewhere.

Now, on to flipping tires.. I know this is a debatable subject but is flipping Pirelli's OK? I've heard absolutely not which is my thoughts simply because they have a directional arrow. Am I correct to assume flipping Pirelli's is no?

13. JBowen33

Buy from your trackside vendor. You save in the long run I.E not paying for mounting and balancing by purchasing through them or shipping etc... Normally trackside vendors have “newer/newest” rubber and the biggest thing is that you get their knowledge of proper wear, pressures, temps etc. We as a sport have to support these folks and not some “.com” because that “.com” isnt hauling their tire machines, trailers or giving up their weekends to make sure you go around a race track the fastest and safest you can go.

14. wheelz96

I have and will support trackside vendors. I have been racing (albeit not road motorcycles) my entire life. I know the importance of having a good relationship with your tire vendors as well as part vendors. When I raced dirt track we were a tire and parts supplier trailer. I never worked so hard as I did every Saturday mounting tires for people. I would always put the wheels and tires off to the side when they were purchased elsewhere. Of course I would still mount them but OUR customers were always first! I appreciate your post and completely understand what you are saying!

Now, any thoughts on flipping Pirelli's?

JBowen33 likes this.
  15. DaveB

DaveB Just Riding Around

I've flipped Pirelli's for the past few years, I have had no issues doing so.

wheelz96 and JBowen33 like this.
  16. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

It is my understanding the the tire construction is not symmetrical. It may or may not work properly if you flip it, but Pirelli recommends you do not, as it was not designed or tested to work that that direction.

With that said, people flip them and they seem to work fine. You will have to make your own decision, but if you try it, keep a very close eye on your tire every time you come off track. You should probably be giving your tire at least a quick look over every time you come off track anyway.

wheelz96 likes this.
  17. wheelz96

Thanks for that response. I don't see myself going against the Pirelli recommendations but I will be attending Lil Tally this Friday for the first time and it looks like nothing but lefts which is why I'm asking.

I watch my tires religiously whether on or off track. I will talk with tire vendors as well and see what they think. This is just out of curiosity for now..

18. drop

drop Well-Known Member

You WILL meet the tire guy at tally. Probably about lunch time lol

19. wheelz96

Lol that's what I have been hearing... Do they make a SC4 haha?

20. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Finally someone that gets it, thank you! I'll add that the majority of tires (not just Pirelli) have carcass ply(s) and tread ply(s) laid onto the tire with an overlap, and in some instances the tread rubber is applied in the same method. This means the direction of rotation helps prevent the overlap from opening during use. And with some DOT tires the wear pattern and life can be negatively affected when the tires are run backwards. So from the manufacturers standpoint (and not just Pirelli's) it comes down to this, if the tire's sidewall is marked bi-directional then it's OK to do so.