1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pirelli SC1 Slicks - Novice Rider

Discussion in 'Information For New Racers' started by AC792, May 8, 2018.

1. AC792

AC792 Well-Known Member

Hey guys, I picked up a dedicated track bike this year after getting addicted to the track last year on my Supermoto. The bike I picked up has a brand new set of SC1 slicks on it, so I got a set of warmers as I know I will need them. However, since I am a Novice track day rider, I am a little worried about having slicks and the pace to keep them hot.

Will I be okay running slicks as long as I'm using a set of warmers to get them to temp? Since they came with the bike and they are brand new, I would prefer not to have to change them but ultimately want to make sure I will be safe.

To give you an idea, I would consider myself a front pack novice rider. I am by no means fast, but I wouldn't consider myself the bottom of the barrel either.

Thanks for your input!

2. Brian Riemland

Brian Riemland Active Member

You should be ok if you dont take the warmers off...
    or its 250 degrees outside.

SuddenBraking and AC792 like this.
  3. AC792

AC792 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the help [emoji848]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

IMO, ull be fine. even if u don't get them really hot, they still should have more grip than street tires at the same temperature.

AC792 likes this.
  5. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

If you're a novice track day rider, I might look at selling the slicks and getting Pirelli's track day tire. Would work out better overall for you.

CC'ing @metricdevilmoto, as he's a good Pirelli guy.

Jon Wilkens likes this.
  6. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

If you're riding in cooler temperatures, you may experience some tearing, but if the bike is set up well and you use your warmers and monitor pressures diligently, you'll be fine.

The Pirellis have tons of accessible performance. I talk to lots of riders and even racers that talk about slicks like they are magic and you need to be at lap record pace to keep them hot; they aren't and you don't.

Would you be as hesitant to ride on the tires if they were DOT race tires? If so, you shouldn't be.

Enjoy your new motorcycle and the tires and when you are in need of a new set, reach out and we'll see if those met your performance needs or if a different compound would suit you better.

Ducti89, noles19 and AC792 like this.
  7. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

Eddie's advice isn't without merit, either. But to specifically answer the question about if what you're doing is not safe, you'll be fine. Will you put enough heat into the tires to go lap record pace? No. But, then again, in a novice track day group, you aren't going record pace. Will you put enough heat in your tires to be more than enough for what your performance demands will be? Sure.

Ducti89 and AC792 like this.
  8. AC792

AC792 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the detailed and honest response, much appreciated. I just got the bike back from getting suspension refreshed and dialed in for my weight - so the bike should be good to go. I’ll give these a go and then when the time comes, i’ll reach out to you for my next set, whatever they may be. Thanks again!

9. mpusch

mpusch Well-Known Member

Ordered a couple tires from MDM last week. Was pretty amazed when they showed (to the office :D) the very next day.

rcarson15 and metricdevilmoto like this.
  10. Maximumjeff

Maximumjeff Well-Known Member

Sell those slicks and get some Rosso Corsas.

11. AC792

AC792 Well-Known Member

Thanks for all the info guys. Much appreciated!

12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

You have the tires, go racing :D

Nick_OMC, noles19, ineedanap and 2 others like this.
  13. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

When we talk rears the SC1 compound is very fast and yet very user friendly. As the compounds have evolved over the last 10 years in WSBK/WSS Pirelli found that the SC1 works very well in a vast range of temperatures and track surfaces around the world and at many different levels. So yep there has always been a mystic that ALL slicks need a lot of heat to work or blah, blah, but with us isn't necessarily true even for a novice.

The key for you is to get the warmers on in time and then check the hot pressure after you come in and adjust accordingly. The hot pressure rise is the key here, and then if you have questions go to the Pirelli guy at the track for help!

Phl218 and AC792 like this.
  14. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy