1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pirelli SC front tires

Discussion in 'Tech' started by svracer22, Aug 24, 2016.

1. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

I find the only guys running these are Panigale riders where the stock tire is the SP version in the same size. And the 200/55 DOT race tires are not as popular as the 180/60s

2. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

You are going to need a new chain one of these days right? So why not move forward and prep for a larger tire. Check out the specs here and then measure your set up and then move forward. If you are artistic you can probably move the hugger for clearance with not much effort.

3. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

What your doing with set up, lap times, and riding style is what governs when to replace tires outside of you riding past the tread wear indicators until the tires are bald. So you need to take good notes each weekend of your bike to accurately track your racing progression. Counting heat cycles and tire mileage will help you learn when the tires start to drop off, and when to replace them. And you will learn when to rebuild the motor, suspension, brakes, or replace common things like brake fluid and chains.

Know and check your suspension settings, pressures, gauge, and warmers often. Checking your settings/data often and then you will see that you have 180 laps on the front for instance and NOW it doesn't feel so great and you will know what to do. And tire pressures should come from us at the track as we know what works best for the current conditions, so Jimmy X on the BBS should not your reference person. Finally there is no magic formula to know exactly when to change except for YOUR feel on the bike. Hope this helps.

badmoon692008 likes this.
  4. maslov

maslov Well-Known Member

All very valid points... I do need to do all of the above and come up with some type of a system... bottom line I think my talents aren’t quite there yet to identify the little things... but I think with proper notes I’ll start noticing them more.

The wear dots are still significant and the tire still feels good, so I’ll roll with it another weekend!

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

re: heat cycles or anything that wears or degrades a tire, this is how I approach the thought of riding them. if u want to set PRs (or lap records), replace them. if u are comfortable riding slower and can actually go only as fast as the tires allow, ride them.

badmoon692008 and maslov like this.
  6. badmoon692008

badmoon692008 Well-Known Member

I ran 6 rounds running 5 classes and two twin sprint weekends on one Bridgestone soft front and only changed it because I had contingency money that was about to expire. I would say 3 track days and one race weekend you should be more than fine, but my rule has always been if I have to ask the question on anything like that (tires, brake pads, oil, etc.) it's not worth the money saved to push it further and potentially have a crash/miss a race/blow an engine etc.

7. maslov

maslov Well-Known Member

That’s impressive! I decided I’ll be swapping for an SC2 take off that I’ve done two weekends on. Thanks for the input!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

badmoon692008 likes this.
  8. LWRacer676

LWRacer676 New Member

I ran SC2 front/ SC1 rear for quite some time and loved it. I recently switched to an SC2 rear. If you can tolerate a little more sliding they last about twice as long and have great feedback.

Can't say enough good things about pirelli tires. In September my front warmer malfunctioned and at 1st call I realized it was off and ice cold. I had enough grip to podium. Pucker moment into turn 1!

9. mike-guy

mike-guy Well-Known Member

This is a skill that not everyone can get. Learn to control yourself and ride at the pace the tires will allow. If it doesn't feel good then back off and maybe try a different line or something. Of course if you can run good time on shagged tires and you throw a fresh rear on for the race it's a perfect marriage. Blood pumping full of adrenaline and tires that can (hopefully) grip as much as you ask.

stangmx13 likes this.
  10. track wagon

track wagon MCAS MIRAMAR

Did someone say dunlop

11. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie