1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"piloted" reamers??? where to get them??

Discussion in 'General' started by E=MC2, Nov 21, 2006.

1. E=MC2

E=MC2 Well-Known Member

I'm building a honda gx200 (200cc 6.5hp pushrod) for a kart and I need to ream the I.D of the valve seat and the bowl, I need to find some reamers with 5.5mm (valve guide I.D.) pilots on them. something from 24-26mm.

2. Jeff McKinney

Jeff McKinney Well-Known Member

3. Gopher Greg

Gopher Greg Old...Eh, what? Ohh.

MSC
    McMaster Carr
    ENCO

4. E=MC2

E=MC2 Well-Known Member

I can't seam to find the kind of reamer I'm looking for. Mcmaster doesn't even sell piloted reamers, but if I bought one could it be turned down to have the pilot size I want?

5. jigmoore

jigmoore Banned

it would have to be ground down. there are so many combinations of pilot/reamers...you should probably call a local tool shop that sharpens drills commercially. buy a reamer and have them grind the pilot on it.

6. E=MC2

E=MC2 Well-Known Member

It'd probably be cheaper/easier to just get someone to ream it for me.

7. jigmoore

jigmoore Banned

well are you sure you need a pilot? reamers are generally not used to position a hole. the drill or mill used to rough the hole is used to put it in concentric to another hole. reamers follow an existing hole quite well and are generally 'floated' in at a machine shop. only used for more precise sizing and surface finish.

8. E=MC2

E=MC2 Well-Known Member

well the ID is 22.8mm right now and I need atleast 24mm

9. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

a reamer is not made to make that kind of cut. generally about .015" on the diameter is max.

10. jigmoore

jigmoore Banned

that's more than what you should ream. normally you would drill/endmill and leave about .003-.010" (0.1-0.2mm) to ream.

not sure about the positional/concentric requirements in your application, but you may consider just following it with a drill and then reaming it (without using a pilot).

but i'll leave that advise to engine/valve experts.

11. WERA872

WERA872 Well-Known Member

For about $30 I can make it any size you want it on my Serdi

12. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

Help me out, is this kart takin'; the place of the Miata? The 450-four-stroke-in-the-125-GP-frame? The hovercraft?

13. E=MC2

E=MC2 Well-Known Member

no, it's just a winter project. It's fairly cheap, I got a used motor $118 shipped and there are plenty of rolling chassis for under $500. The miata is going to be a car I drive to get to a job so that I can afford to build the 450 in the 125 frame. I kinda lost interest in the hovercraft since they don't work well in tight hilly areas (my neighborhood....), so maybe when I buy my own house with some land....

BTW, a lot of the question I ask are so I can learn more about the subject of that question. Sometimes I figure out that what I want to isn't very practical or I just don't have the money to do it, right now atleast.

14. E=MC2

E=MC2 Well-Known Member

where do you live?? I might want to bore out the exhaust seat as well, another $30?

15. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

16. RubberChicken

RubberChicken PimpMasterT

Contact NewayMfg. Corp. at http://www.newaymfg.com/frame.htm

They will make custom sized pilots if you need it. I like their pilots because they are tapered ever so slightly, which helps them install and center well.

17. 45° Please

45° Please Large Member

There you go again, making it all sound like makebelieve vaporware. ;)

18. HFD1Motorsports

HFD1Motorsports BIKE TUNA

Eagle machine in winder,ga if you like I am heading up there soon with a head for just that bigger valves ect I could take it up for you....