1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pics from AMA Pro-Am @ Daytona '83

Discussion in 'General' started by iomfan, Dec 18, 2011.

1. iomfan

iomfan Well-Known Member

First year of the 750's ...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. slower than u

slower than u Well-Known Member

Friggin sweet ! :beer:

3. Cawk Star

Cawk Star Well-Known Member

Being that I was not even two yet, it seems like Kerker was huge in the 80's.

4. Gonzo

Gonzo Maybe you should drive...

Amazing stuff - thank you!

5. iomfan

iomfan Well-Known Member

Kerker was the big name at that time. I'm sure ya'll recognize 60,34,84 & maybe 11, right ?

Hope ya'll enjoy. Getting everything rescanned individually for maybe a future repost. You're welcome. Thanks for the kind words. Dave

6. Smilodon

Smilodon Wannabe

Yeah, I need to go through the old (film) pics and get them digitized. I've had a digital camera since the early days, so anything before that has gotten marginalized (IE stuck in a drawer somewhere).

Your pics are inspiration, thanks for posting them.

My first new "not a passenger" motorcycle helmet was a Blue/Black Arai Wes Cooley replica....;)

7. Thors Hammer

Thors Hammer Well-Known Member

Here is some of the same from my archives.

Attached Files:

8. Thors Hammer

Couple more

Attached Files:

9. iomfan

iomfan Well-Known Member

I'm looking forward to seeing all the old photos that get dug out - that includes yours. :D Enjoy em - you're welcome.

On my pics I believe Wes Cooley(34) was there to help show Rainey(60) the ropes as I believe Wayne had more experience dirt tracking than roadracing at that time. (84) is Fred Merkel. (28) might be Sam McDonald.

10. Thors Hammer

And for you youngsters, thats Wayne Raineys 1983 AMA championship winning 750 Superbike with the #1 on it. You can even see Waynes name on a couple of the pics.

It was a Rob Muzzy built air cooled 4 cylinder 750 he won on against the almighty all new Honda VFR750 water cooled V4's.

Even Kawasaki couldnt believe they won the championship that year and pulled out of Superbike racing starting in 1984,..... for a while.

11. iomfan

iomfan Well-Known Member

Awesome, thanks for posting !!!

I remember being amazed watching the bikes come dive-bombing down the banking to squeeze out every bit of mph. They were flying on those relics.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2011
  12. kanatuna

kanatuna You can't polish a turd..

AAAAAAHHHHHH I want to race in the 80's!!!!!

13. Thors Hammer

That pic you posted that has #34 on it is the exact same bike I posted a pic of that has the #1 on it. Thats Wayne Raineys bike. Wayne captured the championship that weekend (I was there) and Kawasaki was quick to take off the #34 plate and put the #1 plate on it.

That was at the Race of Champions in Daytona Beach in October 1983. They use to call that the Fall Cycle Scene, then many years later changed it to Biketober fest.

The AMA actually held their last Superbike race that same weekend in Daytona, ..............way back then.

14. iomfan

iomfan Well-Known Member

Pretty sure Rainey was 60 & Cooley was 34. Thanks for contributing to the info. :up: Share more if you can ...

15. mike w

mike w Knarf's buddy

yep

16. Thors Hammer

Look at the pic I posted with the #1 on it, You can read Waynes name on it, then compare the pics.

17. iomfan

iomfan Well-Known Member

Your pic with #1 is definately Wayne Rainey's. :up:

18. Once a Wanker..

Once a Wanker.. Always a Wanker!

Notice Thor's picture with the #1 & the #60 side by side.

Wayne's two bikes. They put the #1 plate on his spare bike when he beat the 'almighty' Honda Interceptors, with Freddie Spencer, Mike Baldwin, Fred Merkel, & Steve Wise all winning races. Honda won 8 races that year, but Wayne won the title. (It was a great season!)

Baldwin won 4, and was leading the championship, but crashed & hurt his wrist at Pocono, on his Formula 1 RS 500. (The F-1 class was still the coveted championship in those days.)

Wane is #60, Wes was #34, (please notice the very first picture, of #34 wearing the Wes Cooley "replica" helmet!):beer:

19. Thors Hammer

Sounds good to me, thanks for clearing it all up!!! :clap:

20. SmokeSignalRT

SmokeSignalRT Fat Member

You did, for last 2 years :D