1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pics from AMA Daytona Pro-Am, fall of '83

Discussion in 'General' started by iomfan, Jan 1, 2012.

1. iomfan

iomfan Well-Known Member

2. iomfan

iomfan Well-Known Member

3. iomfan

iomfan Well-Known Member

4. iomfan

iomfan Well-Known Member

5. iomfan

iomfan Well-Known Member

6. cajun636

cajun636 Honda Junkie.

AWESOME pics!!! Is the guy on the Kawi that little or the bike that big?

7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Both.

8. iomfan

iomfan Well-Known Member

#60 is Wayne Rainey. #34 is Wes Cooley who I believe was hired to help Rainey transition from dirttracker to roadracer.

9. Coopster

Coopster Well-Known Member

So THAT'S what it looks like when you use photobucket!
    From the best of my memory:

1983, First year of the Production based 750's in the 200, after running 1025cc 4cyl 4 strokes and 750cc 2 stroke GP bikes.

The first year of the liquid cooled V4 Honda VF750F with mega folks running the horrid sounding (flat plane? or 360*?) Interceptors: From Pietri to #29 Sam McDonald. I think Merkle was 84?

All Yosh had was a GS750 w/ the all conquering GSXR still 3 years out in AMA SB (but only 2 years away from WERA Endurance).
    The Suzuki effort was pretty seriously outclassed by Honda (no stranger to spending HUGE cash as evidenced by the prior year's FWS1000 VFour rocket sleds), and even the Muzzy Kawasaki squad as I recall.

Rianey on the Muzzy Kawi GPZ750 was fresh(ish) out of west coast dirt track, having done The Cali SB School and maybe some club races. The smoothness and lap times came pretty quick and he was bumped up to the AMA SB team, tutoring under Cooley, and Eddie Lawson the next year.

Yamaha went from TZ750 Greatness in 1982 to Bupkis in one year, I don't recall an AMA SB bike from them until the FZ750 2 years later.

10. iomfan

iomfan Well-Known Member

THAT sounds right. Thanks Coopster.

11. GixxerBlade

GixxerBlade Oh geez

Thanks for sharing.. :up:

12. iomfan

iomfan Well-Known Member

Had to. :D Enjoy. :up:

13. Garyb425

Garyb425 Well-Known Member

I believe Suzuki pulled out in '83, hence Cooley on Kawasaki.