1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Petition for CMRA Board Member Recall

Discussion in 'General' started by Racer997, Apr 9, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Racer997

Racer997 Old Skool Racer

As many of you know, I was recently dismissed from my position at Chief Technical Director and Grid Marshal with the Central Motorcycle Roadracing Association (CMRA) by the CMRA’s Race Director, Walter Walker. I was “terminated” from my position by email -- I was not called and informed of this decision, nor was I dismissed in person.

I want to thank you all for the hundreds of emails, calls and texts regarding my recent termination from the CMRA. Your support is very much appreciated. Most of you have asked me what happened and what led to my termination. Walter Walker’s email stated in part that I was terminated because there have been “more than a few complaints” about me from both staff members and the members [of the CMRA]. I (and most of you) highly doubt that there have many substantial complaints about me by the members/racers within the organization. (As a side note, there’s never been a weekend where I didn’t hear at least one complaint from someone in the Club about the Race Director, but those they were afraid to make this public for fear of reprisals or sanctions.)

I am not tooting my own horn, but since my termination, I have been called by quite a large contingent of the CMRA as perhaps the most helpful and friendly of all the staff members, and some have even called me the “face of the CMRA”. Others have stated that the reason they went racing with the CMRA in the first place was because of me. (Additionally, in the past, I the CMRA’s secretary, Nancy Selleck, stated I was the best newsletter writer and editor the CMRA ever had.) Some members have stated that they will no longer race with the CMRA because of the way my dismissal was handled, and many others have stated that they think there’s something wrong with the managerial direction of the Club, and this issue is the latest reason to believe that.

Why would they think that? Well, I am in my 29th straight year as a member of the Club, I have previously served two terms (four years) on the CMRA’s Board of Directors, and I was in my ninth year as staff member. I formerly authored and edited the Club’s newsletter and wrote the Club’s press releases. I have given the Club countless images for use in press releases, license cards, rule books and other advertisement media, and I have promoted the CMRA, its racers and vendors with a flood of images after each race event for many years on Facebook. I also recruited my family to work for the Club, first as corner workers, with my eldest daughter, Raynie, who essentially grew up at the track, moving up to chief manual scorer, gate worker and worker with CMRA merchandise sales. In time, Raynie herself, became one of the dozens and dozens I helped get licensed and on the racetrack, where she raced Mini Motards last season and at the first two races of this season, and had offers to ride the Lightweight Endurance series on a Kawasaki 300. She was also hoping to ride my KTM450SMR in at least a couple of Motard races. I put together "give back" programs whereby I donated money back to the Club for equipment such as EZ-Ups for cornerworkers, and I offered sponsorship programs for injured racers. Furthermore, my family and I have donated something to the CMRA’s end of year banquet every season for I don't know how long. So, with that said, one might think someone who has given as much to the CMRA as I have over close to three decades would be due at least a phone call when terminated. I know I would have made a phone call.

The answer to “what happened”, is, I think, simple: after almost three decades of passionately supporting the CMRA, I was dismissed because of politics; I was fired for being friends with Peyton Inge. I lobbied for Peyton during Board elections, mainly because he is a lawyer. When I was on the Board, I served alongside a lawyer and his advice and direction was very helpful. I felt Peyton could offer similar value.

I want to make it VERY clear that I DO NOT agree with everything Peyton has done, and I am saddened by the fact that the CMRA is being sued by Peyton. The lawsuit has fragmented relationships and divided some of the Club’s membership, and it has made enemies of friends.

Furthermore, I feel the lawsuit could have been avoided. After losing a bid for a seat on the CMRA’s Board of Directors in 2014, emails posted by then CMRA president John Orchard show that Peyton originally asked the CMRA Board of Directors to do three things, which I believe the CMRA By Laws allow in some form or another:

• Audit 25 election ballots;

• Issue an apology to him;

• Produce the CMRA’s books and records.
    Instead of doing these things, the Board revoked Peyton’s CMRA license and kicked him out of the Club. From this action, one could presume that hiding someone’s personal secrets justify risking the CMRA’s future existence. Or, maybe the Board’s actions could be explained away as petty pride. Regardless, I have always maintained that the CMRA’s Board of Directors, secretary and race director, do not own the Club and should always act in the best interest of the Club. We, the members of the Club, own the CMRA, not the Board or anyone else.

I believe the Board, in part or in whole, had Walter Walker fire me (via email, mind you) because of my relationship with Peyton Inge.

As such, I am asking for 75 names, pursuant to Section 3.15 of the CMRA’s By Laws, to initiate a recall of current the sitting CMRA Vice President, Mr. John Orchard. Mr. Orchard was the acting CMRA President in December 2014. If there is truly nothing to hide, Mr. Orchard is also a symbol of the Board’s refusal to address the Peyton Inge issue in the best interest of the Club. Mr. Orchard, you do not have my permission to risk MY Club over a pissing contest, petty pride, personal secrets, or anything else. Refrain from being a career politician and stand up for the Club we - the members - love.

PLEASE READ THIS: I am asking for 75 names of people who are pissed about the current situation and believes the CMRA deserves better. This recall petition DOES NOT mean I (OR YOU) side with Peyton Inge or his lawsuit. In fact, you can hate Peyton Inge and his lawsuit and still sign this petition. Additionally, this petition ABSOLUTELY DOES NOT mean I, or you, as a signer, are anti-CMRA. In fact, I created this petition because I LOVE the CMRA and do not want its future jeopardized by the decisions of a few. And maybe most importantly, NEITHER I NOR YOU AS A SIGNER RISK BEING REPRIMANDED BY THE CMRA OR ITS EMPLOYEES BECAUSE YOU AGREE WITH THIS RECALL PETITION. A RECALL PETITION IS PURSUANT TO SECTION 3.15 OF THE CMRA’S BY LAWS. A recall petition means you have lost faith in one or more members of the leadership committee, and you are demanding change. Mr. John Orchard himself stated that “Changes are occasionally made as needed and in the best interest of the CMRA as with any organization.” I agree, which is why I created this petition.

When we reach 75 names, the Board must take action, or explain their refusal to do so.

Thanks for believing that the CMRA is a Club for the members, by the members.

1. Linz Leard

Last edited: Apr 9, 2016
  2. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

That sucks.

What's CMRA's direct POV? I wanna know if they are as feckless as your story allows me to imagine...

Where's the petition?

3. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Wouldn't that be something for members only?

R Acree likes this.
  4. motoracer1100

motoracer1100 Well-Known Member

I assume you have to be a CMRA member to sign that petition. I am not a member . If not PM me . Either way you have my support. Not liking what I read in other thread about this Bullsh@t .

5. Rollin Dirty

Rollin Dirty Pass the .50.

You can join for cheap. :)

6. TX Joose

TX Joose Well-Known Member

Although I as well as many can sympathize with you, Looking for names on the wera boards for a CMRA petition doesn't quite seem like the right place to cast your hook

Badazzmurican and shakazulu12 like this.
  7. Racer997

Racer997 Old Skool Racer

Yes, you have to be a member to vote. But I'm just getting the word out.

8. Racer997

Racer997 Old Skool Racer

This is the petition. 75 voting members who say they are willing to sign a petition means I can write the formal petition and list the names.

9. flyingpig70

flyingpig70 Well-Known Member

I'm an ex-member, but you can add me to the petition

10. Like the jacket or club?

11. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

CMRA is a closed forum isn't it? However, there are many members here that may also race there. Between this board, FB, local forums, and word of mouth I'd say 75 should be easy.

12. 418

418 Expert #59

Is roadracing in this country really doing well enough to be doing this bickering bullshit? Jesus.

13. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

Makes you appreciate the dictatorship we have here :D

CMRA 270, GSmann, TLR67 and 2 others like this.
  14. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Democracy does not work in mental institutions.

You NEED a benevolent dictatorship in racing.

15. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

Agree 100 percent. No way I would do a board. Inthink hiring Hitler and Stalin as the complaint department works well too :D

16. Johnny B

Johnny B Cone Rights Activist

Exactly. Somebody was bitching at me last year because he said that the LRRS Executive Director issued a rule without "our club" voting on it. He got it wrong because the rule had been made a few years earlier by Don Hutchinson, who always said, "We're not a democracy, I'm the dictator!"
    Same over at the USCRA. We can discuss and vote on things to our hearts' content, but if Bob Coy doesn't like something, he'll squash it like a bug. Ask the folks at Boxshop.

joec likes this.
  17. Stirz

Stirz Makes my butt look big

Someone has to be "head cat-herder in charge", otherwise, embrace the chaos!!!

18. joec

joec brace yourself

I'm not dredging it up again because I just really don't care, but 18" wheels and no stock handle bars on xr100s was the dumbest fu ever..however I did like the fact that some how one shop was the "preferred shop" to get you the "deal" on setting up your xr100 for that class. Especially when the bike was completely legal the way the rules were written originally. Oh....and I'm perfectly capable of lacing my own wheels, or having it done.

Turns out half a dozen guys showed up on xr100s, had fun, and apparently spoiled it for everyone else. Then bob changed the rules. And yeah, did it to get rid of the supermotos too.

If it was my club, I'd probably do the same shit. As it turned out, it was incentive for the boxshop and all of the cool stuff aaron phinney has managed to do.

19. Racer997

Racer997 Old Skool Racer

It is open. I posted it in the open forum. But they also have a member's only section. It'll probably be moved there.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2016
  20. TX Joose

TX Joose Well-Known Member

Question: What's your end goal?