1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Personal gun range?

Discussion in 'General' started by sheepofblue, Nov 15, 2021.

1. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

So the new place is 10 acres and on a slant. I was thinking on adding a pistol range later. Basically fire into the up hill area and put some over head baffles in so an errant shot cannot go launching a long way. So safety is #1, number to is the local police. I don't want them mad and it is next to a US highway (VERY country though and TN is the patron state of shooting things).

Anyone put one up? Any inputs? As things get closer I have a friend who is police in the state but a distance off and would likely just stop a local and ask. I would MUCH rather have them asking to bum my range from time to time than put me on a crap list.

keithnewton likes this.
  2. GRH

GRH Well-Known Member

I have a 200 yard range, had the local concrete company drop off/stack 1 yd concrete blocks as a back stop, it's .5 mile from the road

3. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

My biggest concern would be an EPA raid.

4. Ducati89

Ducati89 Ticketing Melka's dirtybike

Very cool, Sheep! What part of TN?

5. r6fast

r6fast Well-Known Member

I had one on our last property. It was a 66 acre farm. I took a tractor and built a large dirt berm probably 10' tall 15' deep. It was cut out of a small hill.
    I could shoot 450 yards on it without issue. I only had the cops called once and they said everything was safe and to have fun.
    Shooting paper isn't bad, but take into consideration if you are shooting steel to Make sure the targets are slanted down so you don't get a deflection that goes skyward.

jrsamples likes this.
  6. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Dont shoot at shallow angles, ie something on the ground/close to the ground 20-40-100 yds out. You will get ricochets, like skipping rocks of the water. Lots of them. You want a back stop/berm to shoot into. If the ground is on an angle rent a bobcat and dig it out some and use the dirt to make a berm.

Even pistol rounds can ricochet and go several hundred yards, maybe a 1/2 mi or more.

sheepofblue and Gorilla George like this.
  7. StanTheMan

StanTheMan Well-Known Member

I’m building one in my backyard this spring. I have several 6”x6”x8 foot timbers to construct the sides, back and top cover. I’m also going to build a cinder block wall behind this structure to have an extra layer of safety and protection. (I live on about 12 acres). I’m also going to build a 8x8’ wooden platform at ground level about 50 yards and 100 yards from the target so you can get into the prone position without getting all dirty.

8. CBR723

CBR723 Well-Known Member

If Southern TN let me know if need some help in exchange for some range time occasionally. I live in Huntsville.

sheepofblue likes this.
  9. bored&stroked

bored&stroked Disclaimer: Can't spell

For pistols, I like basement ranges. Dig a ditch. Install a giant sewer tube with pulley cable system on top. Fill ditch.

10. Mick6R

Mick6R Well-Known Member

Another vote to dig it out, make a berm, and stack some railroad ties and/or some old tires up around it.

sheepofblue likes this.
  11. sheepofblue

Near Fayetteville, officially Shetlandia according to the dogs.

12. sheepofblue

Thanks for the input the ricochet was something I left out. I could dig it out with the tractor and have a inset into the hill....

13. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

We have 2. One is 220, a carved out "U" with a 100 ft. hill above. 45 degrees of pistol training. The other is a 350, more open with a 2% down angle into a "U" carved hill bottom. A 100 yard verification range before you can go to 350. This place is 3/4 surrounded by city limits. Generally when I'm shooting, I have a deputy to visit as dill holes usually call. That's mostly why I shut down all guests about 4 yrs ago, plus 20% of them don't know what they should know....all my babysitting was finished long ago.

14. vfrket

vfrket Lost Member

The answer is to add more dirt

15. 5axis

5axis Well-Known Member

Table top jumps for a mx /ft layout double nicely as backstop. Shoot then ride or ride then shoot , either way its fun times.

16. keithnewton

keithnewton Member

Welcome to Tennessee. I'm just over in Winchester.

17. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Over the EPA investigators? ;)

vfrket likes this.