1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Persistent Leaky Fork

Discussion in 'Tech' started by mpusch, Apr 14, 2016.

1. mpusch

mpusch Well-Known Member

Looking for some ideas on an annoying issue with my friends R6. He started to get a leaky fork, so he sent them in to a pretty well known suspension place to get serviced. When he got them back we thought everything was good, but the same fork ended up weeping oil still. Sent them back, under the assumption (also thought by the servicer) that there was a mistake doing the seal or something. He recently got it back and the fork is still leaking.

It will weep fluid just sitting in the garage. Anyone have ideas on what could cause this? I can't imagine there would be too many sources of this issue. Also seems unlikely there would be a mistake twice.

[​IMG]

2. jkraft

jkraft Well-Known Member

Is it coming from above (the seal) or from the bottom where the tube goes into the fort bottom?

3. mpusch

mpusch Well-Known Member

Pretty sure that it's coming from above. Fluid all over the inner.

4. TWF2

TWF2 2 heads are better than 1

Clean it good, stroke it until you see oil and check where it is coming from.
    I had few gsxr forks leak from where tube goes in to bottom, oil ring inside failed.
    OEM seal used?

5. mpusch

mpusch Well-Known Member

He said it is definitely coming from the top and dripping down the inner.

No idea on the seals used. Guess we could ask the servicer.

6. kbro45

kbro45 Well-Known Member

It looks pretty badly scored. Did they polish them? Pull them apart and polsih the lower tube with 400 grit emery cloth. Dave Moss has videos for 5 bucks on his website that run you through the whole process of servici g forks on most common bikes.

TLR67 likes this.
  7. mpusch

mpusch Well-Known Member

Good point, it does look pretty scratched up when you see it in the camera flash...Seems to make sense. Just would have thought that would be something that would be looked at when being serviced. We'll shoot an email off to see what the servicer thinks, they've been pretty good with the whole situation.

8. Mran556

Mran556 Well-Known Member

it should have been... I would call and say something to them.

9. 49Over

49Over Well-Known Member

I had a fork do the same. I kept changing seals but it would leak. It ended up being a hair scratch that let oil go by. I used 1500 grit and polished it. Problem solved.

10. mpusch

mpusch Well-Known Member

Thanks for the ideas. Servicer wanted to have it sent back. Going to get boxed up and shipped off for the third time. Having to pay one way shipping three times is something...

11. beathiswon

beathiswon Well-Known Member

If the scratches are as visible in the flesh as in the photo I would question the servicers competence. That is something a good suspension person would have taken care of the first time and re-reimbursed you for the shipping the 2nd and 3rd times but of course it's hard to say for sure over the www.

Mran556 likes this.
  12. triplestrong

triplestrong Well-Known Member

Replace the damn tubes. If the pic shows the lines/scores I'm seeing (correctly), those tubes are garbage.

metricdevilmoto and TLR67 like this.
  13. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

400? Don't do that.

14. kbro45

kbro45 Well-Known Member

This is what Traxxion Dynamics recommends and has been for a long time

15. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

400 is way too low a grit, I wouldn't use that either on the chrome stanchions. Unless there's really deep scratches I generally don't use anything more than a polishing paste. Something similar to this

To the OP another thing to check (though those scratches in the picture are certainly suspect) would be to see if the fork tubes are very slightly bent. It may not be something easily viewable to the naked eye, but even a slight amount of bend in the tube can cause them to start weeping oil.

16. mpusch

mpusch Well-Known Member

Noted the possibility of them being shot or slightly bent, thanks!

Forks had been shipped back off to the servicer on Thursday. Hoping that with some direction that it's likely not the seal, they'll take a harder look for alternative causes.

17. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

I wonder how many hands have been mangled on that lathe by brake mount lugs...

18. Rico888

Rico888 Well-Known Member

first thing I thought of.....

19. mpusch

mpusch Well-Known Member

In the sole interest of putting a conclusion on this thread, the fork was perfect the third try. Apparently the shop has now stopped using aftermarket seals and is going to OEM. The scratches were brought up specifically, but the tech said that they are superficial, and not near enough to cause leaking.

Two track days were put on it, without leaks, so it seems to be all set!

20. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

....oh yeah, it also goes without saying don't use cheap aftermarket seals lol.