1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Performance tip of the day

Discussion in 'General' started by jeremy dunn, Nov 23, 2014.

1. jeremy dunn

jeremy dunn Well-Known Member

If you happen to smash your headers flat, don't worry about replacing them, just drill a hole in it so it won't hurt the air flow. It actually helps it run better since it's letting the air escape faster....

And yes that's what I was told by a customer who brought his bike into the shop for a tire change, rear pads & plugs.

I know there are several on here that work at shops or are in the industry so what's your "performance tip of the day"?

Attached Files:

2. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Tell him drilling a hole in the oil pan is a faster way to change the oil as well.

3. jeremy dunn

4. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Yup, same for the shock or fork oil too.

5. backcountryme

backcountryme Word to your mother.

Nice. So Shervin came into your shop huh? Did you get his autograph

6. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Dude. Pure genius right there. Why is he even at your shop? He should have his own.

7. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

The hole needs to be bigger, that little one won't flow much. Tell him he needs to drill it out, he'll gain 10 horse. :rolleyes:

8. Phl218

Phl218 .

That's awesome

9. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

Did you toss it on the dyno to see if he was right?

10. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

I can only imagine the sonic bliss that was the sound of that motorcycle.

11. xrated

xrated Well-Known Member

Jumping curbs on bikes that aren't meant to do that......sucks, but at least he had a great fixer cure! :crackup:

12. jeremy dunn

Lol, he lives close to the shop & we can hear him every time he leaves the house

13. jimfowler

jimfowler Well-Known Member

performance tip from a customer: run your tires 10 psi lower than recommended for optimal grip.

this was told to me this summer by a guy with (no shit) 2-3" chicken strips on regular-ass dot tires. he asked me if i checked his tire pressure during service and i replied "yes, of course...they were a bit low." to which he responded "can you put them back where they were?" i tried for a moment to explain to him that this is the recommended pressure as per the manufacturer and that for street riding it's probably best to follow their advice but i gave up momentarily as he was pretty convinced he was right and suzuki/bridgestone are wrong.

really nice guy and his intentions were genuine. i ended up talking to him later about bike performance, racing, etc. and that if he ever wanted to get on the racetrack that i'd be happy to help steer him in the right direction/walk him through it all. but man, some of the bullshit that's out there...

14. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

I've seen some dumb shit but the one that just won't go away is the idiots that only use the rear brake 'cuz the front will make you crash".

15. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

The best advice always comes from my brother's next door neighbor's cousin who rides a CBR Ninja 1100.

16. Stirz

Stirz Makes my butt look big

Like a whistlin' banshee...

17. Rob P

Rob P Well-Known Member

It's true, I saw the Suzuki MotoGP guys do it.

18. Pepsi Drinker

Pepsi Drinker Well-Known Member

It would have been one thing had he drilled a hold and pulled out the smashed part then weld it or even put in a bolt, but all he did was did a hole...doh

Anyways, I have heard (at trackdays even) people running their pilot road 2/3 at 20 psi for the track cuz that makes them work as good as race tires. Then they go back to 36/42 for the street for mileage..

19. flyboy

flyboy Well-Known Member

I've also had dealerships set tires at 42 psi because that was the max rated pressure on the sidewall. Plenty of stupid to go around.

20. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

I can't believe you guys don't check the labels on the door frame for cold pressures. Idtios