1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

penske twin clicker or triple clicker?

Discussion in 'Tech' started by rcmike917, Apr 6, 2006.

1. rcmike917

rcmike917 Well-Known Member

I did a couple of searches on this but figured I'd ask anyway. I'm racing a 04 GSXR 750 this year and I'm trying to decide what shock to get. Right now I'm using the stock one and it's not half bad but I'm ready for a upgrade. My question is: is the triple clicker penske worth the added expense over the twin click. Seriously..can you really tell a difference for the extra money. I'm not the fastest guy on the track but I get around ok. I had the penske 8981 on my last race bike(v7 95zx6r) and it seemed to do great everywhere. The GSXR is a lot faster and seems to be more sensitive to suspension input. I was thinking the added adjustability might be nice later down the road. Plus, if the shock was interchangeable with newer models I could justify the added expense. The front end is already sorted with the full monte ohlins internals from Thermosman and feels perfect. Any suggestions?

Mike

2. mangobob

mangobob Well-Known Member

Funny, I have the same question. I am currently running an 05 ZX6R and was looking at the Penske Shock and wondering the same thing. Anyone with more experience willing to chime in? Thanks:up:

3. Strick

Strick Good to be king

I will give you my thoughts. Both are pretty good shocks. The double will definitely work well for you and you most likely won't notice a huge difference until you start really getting into the lower times. That is not saying the triple is a waste of money just that if you don't have the cash or want to spend that much then the double will serve you well.

4. coiz

coiz Well-Known Member

:stupid:

Unless you are extremely comfortable with suspension adjustments or have good track side support and know how to explain what the suspension is doing to him, the double adjustable is all you will ever need.

5. fastzx10

fastzx10 New Member

I gotta agree with what was previously said. I've had both shocks myself, and unless you are really fast and require the ultimate suspension set-up, then the double is all you need. It's a pretty good step up over a stock shock, and it's priced pretty reasonably in my opinion.

6. Harp

Harp Well-Known Member

I have the double on my 750, but I now wish I had the triple just to give my track-side suspension tuner as much flexibility as possible in resolving issues. Shredding tires due to suspension problems gets expensive quickly. If having the 3rd adjustment saved just one set of tires, it will have paid for itself.

7. rcmike917

rcmike917 Well-Known Member

I was thinking along those lines but in the end I went with the double click with the right spring for my weight from LP. I figured I'd use the money saved to get it set up proper by someone who knows what they're doing and put the rest toward a Scotts. I've heard the same thing as far as adjustability for problems like shredding tires...the triple click pays for it self.

Now if I could just get my quick shifter working right..I'd be good to go!

Mike