1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Penske 8975 Double

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Dayon, Nov 6, 2011.

1. Dayon

Dayon Active Member

Has anyone tried the new Penske 8975 Double Adjustment Shock. This is similar to the 8983 series, but does not have the separate nitrogen reservoir (the oil and nitrogen are keep separated internally in the piston). This shock does not come standard with ride height adjustment, but have been told this can be added for $50-75. I run an 8987 (triple) on my SV650 superbike, but was considering the 8975 for a SV650 supersport / rain bike. If anyone has any experience with the 8975 please let me know. Thank!

2. Hordboy

Hordboy B Squad Leader

I don't have any riding experience on an 8975 yet, but I had a prototype here at my shop for a few weeks to mock up for a Hawk. Typical Penske build quality, (great) it's a nice looking unit. I was told the clickers have about 10% less overall range than the 8983, which really shouldn't be a problem. It uses the same valving parts inside so it should work exactly the same. It is being marketed as a "street" shock and I think it's great for that purpose. I think for the track the 8983 would be a better choice, simply because you can get at the compression adjustment more easily and it "might" cool a little better with a remote reservoir? I don't know. But I wouldn't hesitate to put an 8975 on a street SV that's for sure.