1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PC5 Autotune on AMA Bikes Question?

Discussion in 'Tech' started by RollieManollie, Mar 20, 2012.

1. RollieManollie

RollieManollie I Need to Get My Beak Wet

Throughout the 2011 AMA year, I've seen quite a few AMA bikes with the PC5 Autotune set up for spec Sunoco gas.

I recently purchased a well known bike and I'm thinking of taking the auto tune off and just map the bike for the spec sunoco gas with a map switch (1 for Sunoco and the other for MR12 for club races). Besides, I believe Dyno Jet is at every AMA round tuning the bikes for free if you have Dyno Jet products.

I guess my question is, why are they using the auto tune and is there a benefit from with this than from a regular dyno tune? Is there inconsistency's in the fuel? I'm not the most computer savy person and don't feel like hooking up the lap top every session to perfect a map for race time so is there any dis-advantage of taking the auto tune off?

Thanks for any suggestions! Ed Who, what's your take???

2. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Custom map it with the dyno to create a baseline.......fine tune it for environmental factors race to race with the auto-tuner?

3. RollieManollie

Thanks SPL...I know I've ran into you before at njmp but I just can't put a face on you.

If I do that, it doesn't sound like I need a map switch at all, correct?
    Maybe that's what the previous owners were doing with this this set up, as i didn't think about that!

4. RollieManollie

Is there a big difference between the sunoco spec stuff and pump gas on the dyno?

5. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

Given how long the bike sits at WFO on the straights I'd think the autotune would have ample time to dial in to the desired AFR in that range of the map no matter what the conditions? Maybe they're just using it for logging on the cheap?

6. afm199

afm199 Well-Known Member

Gives you opportunity to run a baseline map for your gas and then tune the map to the track, temp, humidity. It's something guys on the podium will do for .5 hp, for most racers I consider it a luxury.