1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

paypal experts -- need help/advice STAT

Discussion in 'General' started by pjzocc, Apr 21, 2017.

1. pjzocc

pjzocc Well-Known Member

So, long story short, I'm think I'm about to get scammed... BUT...

There's a guy who owes me $1800. Paid him for a specific product, then found out after the fact that he's been scamming many other people and demanded the money back. He was supposed to meet a mutual friend in NC tomorrow to give a bank/cashier check for the money. He sent a text just now that he has the money in a PayPal account and can't get the funds out in time to make a certified check for tomorrow. Wants to know if I have PayPal aand transfer the funds that way.

I know there's a 3% charge. Can he "gift" the funds at that amount and avoid the 3%?

How can he retract those funds after transmission? CAN he retract those funds?

How does that make me vulnerable to another scam or him accessing my bank account?

I'm already sick over this whole thing, so please hold off the judgemental stuff until after I figure this shit out. Afterwards, fire away.

pJ

2. Phanuel

Phanuel Well-Known Member

You would want him to "gift" you the funds, he would have no recourse to pull them back. If he sends them as payment for goods or services he could jack them back.

pjzocc likes this.
  3. bleacht

bleacht Well-Known Member

But, couldn't he gift the money on a fraudulent c.c. and lead you to believe he paid, only for you to find out weeks later that you've been had?

4. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

If you take it out of Paypal right away I think you're good. Not 100% on that though.

5. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

Wouldn't count on that one- I stay away from paypal at all costs, especially if you're talking that much. But- what other recourse do you have to get your money ya know? Sounds like part of the scam. Once a liar always a liar.

6. pjzocc

pjzocc Well-Known Member

See that's the thing... I don't want to get dinged a month down the road and be on the hook for another 18 bills

7. pjzocc

pjzocc Well-Known Member

I don't really wanna do it this way BUT I may be just grasping at some hay straw of hope to see my dollars back, and if this is the way...

And yeah, I'm not overly confident in this dude's repayment strategy.

8. bleacht

Nope, I was victim to someone paying with a fake c.c. and didn't know until about 3 weeks afterwards when paypal reached out wanting me to payback the funds. I told them to kick rocks but they threatened to sick collections on me so I caved. I was 19 at the time and didn't use paypal for 6 or 7 years afterwards because of that ordeal.

9. pjzocc

pjzocc Well-Known Member

How does that responsibility fall on you, though? I don't get it.

This whole thing is giving me the shits...

10. bleacht

Because I received money that didn't really exist. You'd think we'd be better protected but we aren't.

throwdown likes this.
  11. Potts N Pans

Potts N Pans Well-Known Member

I dont trust paypal as far I can piss into a 50 mph head wind...I hope this works out for you.

throwdown likes this.
  12. pjzocc

pjzocc Well-Known Member

Ughhh... I guess I figured the guilty party is on the hook not the 3rd party bystander with no knowledge of said unscrupulous behavior.

13. pjzocc

pjzocc Well-Known Member

Thanks. I still got the agita over this....

I've had a PP account for, probably 6, 7 years... used it MAYBE 10 times and it's always been for buying/selling parts from here or other forums. It's never been more than a couple hundred bucks. Never anything at this amount, and never felt like I was ever at risk. Till now, of course.

14. Past Glory

Past Glory I still have several AVON calendars from the 90's

I am SO proud of myself for never having bought in to the whole paypal thing. Those of you who have been burned by them have my sympathies and those who have used it to burn people, I hope there is a predator out there who will visit far worse upon you for it.

15. 05Yamabomber

05Yamabomber Dammit Haga

Well,
    I have had good experience with Paypal. hundreds of transactions. I purchased something, then guy never delivered, Paypal got me my money back. I have also sold rims that I said were scratched. Guy filed complaint. I showed original information with pics saying they were scratched. Paypal agreed with me. Closed. If you force him to gift you the money, there is no recourse for him to get it back. I would ask for a screen shot of his paypal account showing he has the funds in there already. Force his hand. That way you know he isnt using a CC to pay you.

16. pjzocc

pjzocc Well-Known Member

He actually did send me a screenshot of funds in a PayPal account... whether or not I believe it to be his/accurate is tbt, but it's been a runaround all day.

And still... I have stomach issues.

17. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

I know that feeling. Damn sorry.
    I had that rolling stomach feeling when a $20k check was returned stop pay. I called the guy and said WTH! He said that I was not allowed to bother him because he had just filed bankruptcy. He was in another state, so I just pissed away 20k. Man, those stomach issues......