1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pay to play

Discussion in 'General' started by Rdrace42, Apr 3, 2020.

1. Rdrace42

Rdrace42 Almost Cheddar

That it would. What would be the downside for WERA though. It's not like they're going to lose anything from the Beeb if they aren't making anything off it anyways.

2. R Acree

R Acree Banned

I wonder if I could write it off as a mental health fee.

Yzasserina and Banditracer like this.
  3. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

The rules are quite simple. All racing OK. Any non racing vids, put in YT thread, and reference it. Political/religion, no fly zone (for now). I posted up some YT vids directly from time to time, expected the ban, worth it. So what, you'll live.

The alternative is having a free for all with everyone posting every vid everywhere. Come on now, you know that's true, and that is a shitshow.

TurboBlew and Scotty87 like this.
  4. Chino52405

Chino52405 Well-Known Member

I do see value in both this place and the racing org and even said I'd be down to help. However, I don't think walling off the forum under a general paid model is a good long-term business move. I do think cash for classifieds is feasible and not unexpected. If WERA ever officially asks for help, I will contribute.

5. tiggen

tiggen Things are lookin' up.

Put a pay wall for the Dungeon. $$$$$$$$$$$$

6. Rdrace42

Rdrace42 Almost Cheddar

I can't imagine them actually officially asking for help. Maybe I'm wrong, but they've struggled through some incredibly difficult times, and seem to always manage to figure out a way on their own.

So, explain how a paid model wouldn't be a good "long-term" business move. Not being sarcastic, just not seeing how it would be bad. Loss of ridership? Loss of publicity? If this situation drags on into the summer, it's kind of a moot point.

7. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

Hazard a guess. I'd say 60/40, more like 80/20 if you weight it by frequency. I consider it social club dues.

noles19 and R Acree like this.
  8. Rdrace42

Rdrace42 Almost Cheddar

That's kind of what I was thinking. Pretty bummed that there isn't more interest. Maybe I shouldn't be surprised.

Once a Wanker.. likes this.
  9. Chino52405

Chino52405 Well-Known Member

All just my opinion:
    The forum exists to support racing (theoretically) and ends up being a bit of a drug itself that people would never be exposed to if there is a paywall. When I do start spending cash at the track with WERA, it'll be because this place didn't have a paywall when I first found the site. IF it were to go to a paid model, many of the forums should be moved outside the paywall such as new rider info, classifieds (poster paid for that), and anything else deemed necessary to help convert new racers. The community (for better or worse) is the best tool for conversion though IMO. You also have to add in now the additional site mgmt etc that will go into maintaining a paid environment - another thing taking away from the core business. All my 2 cents.

10. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Make it voluntary and 50% goes to prize money or the banquet.

11. Rdrace42

Rdrace42 Almost Cheddar

Some valid points, such as keeping the informational stuff for new or interested racers in the 'free' area. I guess it comes down to this. I'm not a CCS guy. Never raced with them, and never would. I have my own reasons for that. Regardless, the concept of supporting a business in times of crisis, whatever your favorite business is, still makes sense to me. Around here, there are some restaurants that are really well liked that are on the verge of folding up, even doing drive through and delivery. Most of my neighbors are big fans of those restaurants, and are adding on to their bill to help ensure those restaurants are still there when this is over. Pie in the sky perhaps, but doing nothing guarantees that the outcome will be negative.

R Acree likes this.
  12. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

You should be more patient. :) And bang the drum again if the thread floats down toward the bottom of the page. A couple of people have already answered the call, the address is there, so is a suggested amount. Maybe construct a poll? You know Evelyne and Sean will never ask. This isn't like some local diner that goes out of business (and that is terrible, and we have been ordering out from ours 3X
    weekly); this would be a devastating loss for the sport, and scatter this community to the far winds for who knows how long. It is quite simple. You want it, act like it.

And thank you.

Rdrace42 likes this.
  13. SirCrashAlot

SirCrashAlot Well-Known Member

Same thing happened when I suggested it. Crickets. I did my part ... that's all i can do.

Rdrace42 likes this.
  14. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

Motomatters generates content. Not exactly the same thing.

15. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

What does that mean generates content?

16. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

Meaning that the money you pay funds content that the site generates like stories, interviews, and editorials.

Facebook and every other popular form of social media is free because the content is user generated and the data mined is the product. This forum is user generated content.

17. Slider82

Slider82 Well-Known Member

Due to record unemployment, an almost complete shutdown of the economy, and uncertainty of their own economic future, people aren't really trying to find new things to spend their money on, not surprising at all.

18. roy826ex

roy826ex Been around here a while

I renew my license every year.

Pretty much stopped racing in 2017. Cost to damn much! I don’t even do track days anymore, they cost what racing cost regardless of what many clueless ones will tell you.

Going fast whether racing or trackdays cost money. I ain’t into making slow laps.

19. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Nevermind...

incoming.

Rdrace42 likes this.
  20. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

I see. Well the less the WERA Beeb is like FB, the better. Does it follow that because the content is user generated that it does not have value? I don't think it does. I consider this a self selecting group, good risk assessors, dynamic, skilled, capable, adaptable, diverse, etc. Some assholes here and there. How many times have people come to the Beeb and asked for guidance on any number of topics? And received competent, and trusted advice? Many. That has value. Monetize it. The Beeb has a life adjacent to WERA the racing organization. It is the larger community of it.