1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Paramedics, EMT's your thoughts

Discussion in 'General' started by Chad & Robyn, Jul 27, 2008.

1. Chad & Robyn

Chad & Robyn Well-Known Member

Ok here's the deal. I'm going to buy an AED for home/anytime use, and I have it down to 3. So I would like your input about them.

1st the Lifepak 1000. I work at Piedmont Hospital in Atlanta in the cardiac cath lab and this is all I've ever used. Altho we use the lifepak 20 in the lab I am comfortable with lifepak/medtronic/physio-control equipment. The only problem is that physio-control got into trouble with the FDA and shipment would be delayed until Oct/Nov. I was kinda wanted to get it before then.

2nd is the Zoll Pro. I've never used Zoll equipment. One thing about the Zoll is that it only charges to a max of 200 joules. Even tho all the times I've had to shock somebody I've rarely had to go above 200, but I kinda would like to have the ability to go to 360. When we get Emergencies/STEMI pt.'s most are transported by life flight and some are by ground. Most of all the life flight and ground crew that I've seen have Zoll.

3rd is the Cardic Science G3 pro. I've never used or heard of this company.

Anyway, just tell me what you think of the 3, good and bad.

Thanks

2. Phat Chance

Phat Chance Silence, I kill you!

Around here we just use a Snap-on 60 amp Battery charger. Flip that sucker to "Boost" and if will bring the dead back to life. It's way cheaper than those gizmos you talking about

3. patrickmotox

patrickmotox The Riders Mechanic

I love it.. for home use, or anytime use. It is like getting a fully automatic weapon for the same reason. Just in case. Ah hahahahahaha.

4. They are great fun at parties! Better than any party game.

:rock:

5. Sig

Sig Well-Known Member

maybe just eat less bacon cheeseburgers?

6. Robert

Robert Flies all green 'n buzzin

If you actually used this on someone, could their family sue you into oblivion if you weren't successful?

7. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

Lifepack. When I was in charcge of 2 distribution centers and a corporate office, I placed 2 in every building. So long as yours comes with a maintenance plan, I say go for it. Let your insurance company know there is one in the home as well.

8. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

Full time FF/medic.... we use Heartstart stuff, but it's a fully manual paramedic-only piece, I don't know much about the difference in AED's. I would think pretty much ANY AED is a good choice, but again..... I'd be wary of the legal issues. Sucks that it has to be that way, but that's what you deal with today.

Honestly, my personal advice would be to take an AHA CPR class and pay attention.... the protocols have changed, and for the better. Unless you're in the sticks and a cardiac cath lab is 30+ minutes away, good quality CPR can make a real difference in PT outcome.

--AHA protocols do not include shocking up to 360 joules anymore, for biphasic defibs. That's why those units only go to 200.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2008
  9. Montoya

Montoya Well-Known Member

In most states, if you're properly trained and certified, you're immune from lawsuits do to various "Good Samaritan Laws".

10. flypigs

flypigs Cold turkey since 2003

Fire Captain and EMT here - I think it's great that you're considering this, especially if you make it available to your neighbors. A neighbor of ours bought one, installed it on the front porch, and brought everyone over to see the location and get a quick lesson on it.

I think there are very few legal issues to consider, Good Samaritan laws in almost all states protect individuals providing care unless they are charging a fee, or working beyond their level of training. If you have been trained, you are largely safe.

Ultimately, you're not going to hurt someone with an AED anyway, they're extraordinarily safe. You can't place one on your drunk bro' and watch him bounce off the floor, it just won't fire unless it sees the right rhythm.

As for the joules, most AED's are programmable to local protocols. In Maryland (and I'll guess at most states) when the protocols change, a note was added that if the AED in use wasn't reprogrammed, the direction was to do follow the shock sequence that your AED recommended.

As for which to buy, I can't recommend one except to say that you can get lifepak service and parts for a LOT of years to come.

Pete

11. parapuke

parapuke Well-Known Member

Paramedic and Registered Nurse here. I've been using Zoll products for the past 10 years. They make good stuff.

12. SmokeSignalRT

SmokeSignalRT Fat Member

Both local hospitals and ever vol. fire dept in my area (or so it seems) use the Lifepak stuff.

13. RoadRacerX

RoadRacerX Jesus Freak

LOL!!! Chad works in a cardiac cath lab. I think he knows the drill. :crackup:

Hey Chad, you'll shoot yer eye out! :D

BTW, get whatever is easiest and fastest. And the one you can get a deal on.

14. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

I know.....I can read. That was mainly for anyone else who might be reading.

15. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

Where's the fun in that? And here I was all set to go get one. Guess it's back to the stun gun store...