1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Papa New Guinea, I gotta go so teach me something..

Discussion in 'General' started by Wingnut, Apr 9, 2019.

1. Wingnut

Wingnut Well-Known Member

Looks like I have to go to Papua New Guinea in the next few weeks to inspect an airplane, chop it up and box it up to ship back here to the US. I won an insurance bid on a pretty big regional aircraft.

So who's been there? Where to go or NOT go?

Anybody want to work for a week????

Last edited: Apr 9, 2019
  2. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

It's Papua...

auminer likes this.
  3. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

Papua.

Might go over better with the locals if you knew the proper spelling.

Unless this is a coded message of love to HPPT.

4. YamahaRick

Be sure to have Mongo send you some WERA stickers to give the org some exposure.

I think it will be a great adventure. Take plenty of pics, as you may never be back. Just make sure you don't piss off anyone by taking them. I'm a bit envious.

5. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Go in, get your shit done and get the f@ck out. Don't piss off the natives, don't look at the women and just don't. If you're gay, don't go.

beac83 likes this.
  6. Wingnut

I have to go to the central highlands area, Mendi.

7. YamahaRick

Be sure to document your trip here on the beeb. As long as you don't end up like caferace and disappearing, I'd like it more interesting than bowling parties and the usual blather that gets posted here.

8. Robin172

Robin172 Well-Known Member

Try the special in the restaurants - long pig.

9. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

Hahaha. Nice.
    Should be readily available in parts there.

10. beechkingd

beechkingd Well-Known Member

What kind of plane?

11. Wingnut

It's a Dash 8. I'm only interested in the main engines, APU and landing gear. I'm trying to find a company that can help with the dismantling, crating and shipping.

12. 10MM

10MM Action Reaction

Sounds like an adventure. I could arrange a week off my normal gig - aside from airfare and lodging what would it pay? I’m no aircraft tech but have mechanical aptitude. Oh, and I’m an old fart :p you would prolly want a young ‘en.

13. If you’re in actual need of help of dismantling and crating, I am willing and able to take on contract work. :D

Best of luck!

Phl218 likes this.
  14. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

What can you use the engine, APU and landing gear for? I would assume with so many landings can the landing gear be swapped to another plane?

How will you ship it to the states?

15. Rising

Rising Well-Known Member

I have a sawzall and a passport! :D

j cal, Phl218, BigBird and 1 other person like this.
  16. RichB

RichB Well-Known Member

It's a pretty exciting place. I've only been a few times for work, started in Port Moresby then flew up to Frieda River, helicopters after that due to lack of roads. Each time there was a bit of violence nearby, e.g. shootout at Lae airport for an hour or so until it was resolved (i.e. all bandits killed) and we could continue the milk run, theft of fuel drums near airstrip and floated off down the river, but cheap pacification of locals.

It's hard to know if the sense of fear is warranted, I suspect it is. the Most expats we knew carried at least one. At the secure accom I was checking out the facilities and room, opened my curtains which bordered the main Street. I shit you not there were 6-10 people facing me on the other side of the big fence staring back. I guess they had seen me go in and were expecting me. Freaky feeling.

And make sure your aircraft has GPS tracker.

17. BSA43

BSA43 Well-Known Member

My uncle was there in the early 1940's. It made a big impression on him.

tzrider and ungwaha like this.
  18. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

So is this based on the theory of I'd rather be tried by 12 than carried by 6? Or have they applied for permits?

19. Dits

Dits Will shit in your fort.

True story... my grandfather dismantled a Zero on Papua 75 years ago. The prop is still around somewhere. I might have a photo too.

Wingnut likes this.
  20. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

My Dad was there during the Pacific campaign in WW2. He said the jungles had a bunch of hash smoking little guys who would lop your head off. (and as friendly as they tried to seem to the GIs he never trusted them.)