1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Paint Rolling Car Question

Discussion in 'General' started by Squigs, Oct 3, 2010.

1. Squigs

Squigs Well-Known Member

I know this isnt the ideal way of painting a truck but hear me out.

This is for a 1993 ford ranger, body is in good shape with no rust but its a non glossy ugly white paint with alot of marks and scratches. Im gonna have this truck for the next 2 years at the longest.

Im not going to put the money into it for a "professional" paint job since it isnt worth it.

Looking to spend like $100-200 bucks on it.

Again, I dont care enough to put alot of money into a 1993 truck. I wanna make it look "better" than how it looks now, thats all.

What are your oipinions or paint rolling over rattle can?

I saw some youtube videos of rustoleum paint rolling and they seem to come out pretty good. I was planning on going to local paint store and picking up some good quality paint, not cheap stuff

And of course I was gonna fill in anything in body work, sand it, clear coat it and all that..

2. GixxerBlade

GixxerBlade Oh geez

I recommend Behr Premium. :)

3. Gigantic

Gigantic Maverick Moto Media

get a cheap spray gun and spray it. it will look like crap if you roll it, no matter how much care you put into it. with a cheap spray gun- $35 or less at harbor freight, plus a small air compressor @ $75 or less, you will get significantly better results. it may still look craptastic, but not as bad as if you'd rolled or brushed it.

4. stalemate27

stalemate27 Banned

do some reading and the prep work yourself and take it to maaco to have it sprayed , for what they charge they do a decent job but thier prep work SUCKS ASS

5. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

We rolled our demolition car.. Didnt look the best but it only had to last 15 minutes.

6. iagsxr

iagsxr Well-Known Member

The would be a mistake IMO. Rustoleum is a thicker, gooey stuff designed more for amateur application. It stays wet longer allowing it to flow out, removing some of the brush/roller/broom marks. I tried to touch up some roll cage stuff w/real automotive paint once and a foam brush. It was a disaster.

The roller jobs that I've seen that look good, they've put a shitload of material on then wet-sanded and buffed the crap out of it. Much more time spent than just spraying.

Without seeing your truck can't really tell, but I'd more like consider getting a touch up gun, blowing in the chips'n whatnot and giving it a good buffing.

7. hrc_nick_11

hrc_nick_11 Well-Known Member

If you don't care about it, Just leave it.

8. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

I have rolled boat paint on, just use a brush to "tip" it out (roller overlap). Small foam roller using a good marine paint, spend some money on a good brush (beaver tail, etc). It's just like a good varnish application, without the overspray. Shouldn't be too bad if the outside temp and humidity isn't too terrible. The only thing I could see an issue with is joints and seams, as well as body flares. Just roll a little at a time and brush the overlap and runs. If you can get it to flow you shouldn't have a problem.

9. Squigs

Squigs Well-Known Member

I have access to an air compressor, I would just need a gun.

Would those guns they sell in wal mart work?

How much would paint cost to spray on with gun for my truck you think>

10. jrockcolors

jrockcolors Well-Known Member

Take it to Maaco and be done with it.:beer:

11. Squigs

Squigs Well-Known Member

and whats the cost of a maaco job? I heard bad stuff from them like paint peeling etc.

Should I do my own prep work?

12. STT-Rider

STT-Rider Well-Known Member

Yep... Start with 180 and then finish with 220. Tack rag it yourself (they'll do it again) and drive er home.

13. jrockcolors

If it is all the factory paint i would wet sand it with 400 and skuff your edges with a red skuff pad.if you want a lighter met. color than you should sand it with a finer grit like 600 after the four hundred.
    As long as there are no shinney spots left in the paint you should be ok.

I dont no the cost but i would think 250 to tape and spray it would be rite. i would call around to a few of them in your area.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2010
  14. STT-Rider

I figured that since he was gonna roller it, simple was better for prep. Kinda assumed we were not dealing with the Mona Lisa here.

15. jrockcolors

Ya for sure with a roller.... all day. i was talking if he took it to maaco and had it sprayed :up:

16. STT-Rider

Thats a pretty good idea about doing prep yourself and having Maaco spray it. They shoot a ton of cars and must be fairly good at it.

17. mfbRSV

mfbRSV Well-Known Member

Dupli-Color Bedliner Spray...FTW!

18. Squigs

Squigs Well-Known Member

19. stalemate27

stalemate27 Banned

a good painter can spray with anything

20. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member