1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Paint brand for spraying bodywork

Discussion in 'General' started by Dave_SV, Dec 31, 2016.

1. Dave_SV

Dave_SV Well-Known Member

So I decided to take a shot at spraying my own bodywork. I did some research here and the autobody101 forums, picked up a Devilbiss flp 4 hvlp gun and some other odds and ends after reading a few threads.

My question is what is a good paint (brand) for spraying bodywork? I have never sprayed before so I have no idea who makes a decent product. The autobody101 store has base coats and clears but it's like $300 for the base coat (https://www.autobody101.com/store/paint-base-coats/quart-of-basecoat-similar-to-ppg/) and clear (https://www.autobody101.com/store/paint-clear-coats/tamco-hi-impact-extreme-clear/). Is that what I should expect to spend? Also how much paint will it take to spray two sets of bodywork?

I'm not looking for motogp finish or anything like that, especially considering this is my first try, but I would rather do it right than waste time and money.

2. kz2zx

kz2zx zx2gsxr2zx

Dave, I've had good results with BASF Glasurit and PPG. Sherwin Williams stuff worked when I lived near a place that sold it (Space Age in Mesa).

For the last few paintjobs I bought TCPGlobal from Cali mail-order.

Edit: I use the 2k primer that NAPA sells since they're around the corner from me and saves me a trip downtown. 2K doesn't build real deep, so if you're not filling/sanding scratches/dings with filler first, build using one of the polyester primers (and sand... to me, this is trading time for money, and I mostly paint my own bikes, so I spend the time to fill/sand first). I'd probably still seal with 2k or Velva-seal, but I'm a boots-and-suspenders type.

Roger Heemsbergen turned me on to Nason spot-clear as a good, cheap clear that lays down well and doesn't yellow in the New Mexico sun for a few years.

Second edit: Roger also turned me on to using Harbor Freight 1.3mm (1.4mm works too, but can lay on too much) "purple" HVLP guns. Get them on sale (HF does a sale a month, seems like). I buy four at a time. I use 1 for 2k primer only, 1 for base only, one for mid/clear, and one for a spare in case something goes wrong. I buy four of the inline drier/filters and get the air fittings at HF too. I will use both the primer and color guns for up to three paint jobs before the needle/orifice wear out; and the mid/clear gun only seems to last for 1 paintjob. I just chuck 'em after, they're so cheap.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2016
    Newsshooter likes this.
  3. kman0066

kman0066 Well-Known Member

I usually order from TCP Global. Ordering online makes it simple and they sell in small quantities. Though this last time I just picked up a kit off eBay for cheap and it turned out great. Maybe not a show bike quality, but better than rattle and more than good enough to crash onto a racetrack.

1 quart of paint should be enough to spray 2 basic race bodywork sets. Clear coat goes a little faster for me, so I'd have extra of that for 2 sets.

If you want to save some money/effort and don't need the super high gloss of a clear coat, you can try a single-stage paint. Used that for my first paint job I did and it turned out nice.

4. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

If you want to make life easy, look into single stage paint.

XFBO likes this.
  5. Those are pretty under rated guns. They certainly have their purpose, I've done the same thing except my air drying system that's hard plumbed is a bit more sophisticated.

6. Like Behr latex with a Wagner power painter.

7. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

Never used that.
    I used Dupont/Nason Urethane

8. ghetto customs

ghetto customs Who's that Parrish guy?

What dummy said. Can also get nason products at your local O'Reilly stores.

Find the closest, local auto paint store and chat with them on what you're doing. They will be glad to assist you on everything. Ordering online you have zero support.

Dave_SV likes this.
  9. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

'round here we have guys that will do a paint job for $400. Including number plates. When you start to add up all of the supplies, not to mention taping off the whole damn garage, it's hard to beat.

Also with decals these days, it's easier to get number plates and other good stuff made, so single color, single stage paint jobs are just fine.

JustaNobody and renegade17 like this.
  10. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

I go to a local paint place and get it there. Maybe it cost me a bit more but they were super helpful when I started, and they always gave me a handful of sticks a strainers. I'll bet I still have 25 strainers in the garage. I paint early in the morning under a canopy in the back yard when there isn't any wind. Much easier than covering everything in the garage with plastic. Nason seemed to be the cheapest, but I also used Dupont and PPG. Single stage is easier but isn't quite as nice. Doesn't really matter for a race bike though.

11. mpusch

mpusch Well-Known Member

So... I was in your shoes about 8 months ago. Decided I wanted to paint my own partially to save money (definitely did NOT if you're only doing one set because of the equipment, but the second and onwards you will) and to learn a new skill. I wanted it to look nice but wasn't going to spend a bunch on expensive paint.

I too had heard a lot of things about the harbor freight purple gun. I did a ton of looking around and went through 3 or 4 of them trying to get one that didn't leak. My advice, from the guy who tried to do this on the cheap, the harbor freight silver ("professional") gun. It's about $50 with the usual discounts, and was a couple notches up in quality. Even a complete noob like me could tell the difference.

Don't skimp out on getting good air. In doing my research I came across discussions of isocyanates all the time. That is nasty stuff in two stage paint. Some people say you can filter it with the mask cartridges, but a fresh air supply is a best practice. Since I wanted to take no chances, I bought a used hobbyair system on eBay. A little annoying having the hose run in the booth, but I'll compromise in the name of not poisoning myself.

For paint, I went down the ladder several times on quality when I'd add up how much everything would cost. Since I was doing a two-color scheme I purchased two kits of this stuff on eBay:

http://m.ebay.com/itm/281264552680?_mwBanner=1

If you're just doing one color, it includes everything you need to paint - base, clear, reducer, and hardener. I'm sure a good painter could get at least two sets with that, but even for me it was more than enough for one. I was very very happy with how the paint turned out. The limiting factor is my skill and prep. Yes it is crazy cheap compared to other brands, but it worked fantastic in my eyes.

I found that painting is an exercise in following instructions. Do what the paint sheets tell you to do, and don't skip steps.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 31, 2016
    Dave_SV likes this.
  12. Dave_SV

Dave_SV Well-Known Member

Thanks for all the advice, greatly appreciated!

13. tropicoz

tropicoz Well-Known Member

I've used both single and base/clear. While single stage is the "easiest", it's the easiest to screw up since the final product looks exactly how it lays down. Base/clear gives you an opportunity to fix runs and other mistakes, but it's a longer process in general. As mentioned above, follow the sheets and remember cleanliness is next to godliness.

14. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

Yep, and the prep is the most time consuming. Always seemed like the painting was the easy part.

tropicoz likes this.
  15. Like everything you paint, prep seems to be 90% of the work.

16. ahrma_581

ahrma_581 Well-Known Member

I've had decent results with PPG basecoat/clear:

DSCN2645.JPG

I've done 6-8 bikes, my results seemed to degrade over time, especially getting a decent primer coat. Only used two spray guns during that time, so above comment re. disposable guns probably applied.

17. ESmith

ESmith Well-Known Member

I've painted several bikes with Nason ful-thane single stage. Turned out awesome/ tough finish. Looks deep and rich like base clear and lays down smooth as glass from my experience.

18. ESmith

ESmith Well-Known Member

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

You wouldn't happen to remember the name of that red would you?

20. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

Also what tape do the pros recommend?