1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

overheating gsxr 600

Discussion in 'Tech' started by sicc, Sep 28, 2018.

1. sicc

sicc Well-Known Member

07 gsxr 600

symptoms:

i have two '07 gsxr 600's. the problem bike reaches 220 degrees way fast. fan comes on but fails to cool, only slows the temp climb. i've replaced fluid, bled, leaned over on side, ran with cap off. fairly confident it is not a air bubble. i opened pump cover, the impeller is in good condition and rotates slightly side to side. radiator does not appear to have any defects. also stock bike 100%.

the good 600 slowly rises to 220, fan comes on and temp immediately drops.

i have no reason to believe i have a blockage as when i replace the fluid it takes nearly the manual's spec. do i spend the money and buy a new water pump assembly or can you guys recommend another solution.

2. sicc

sicc Well-Known Member

also

my 600 can run an E race all day long and is cool as a cucumber.

problem 600 runs a sprint race at 10 laps and is steamin hot.

3. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

My 1000 was up to 225 at the MotoAmerica Event... it is still Summer and expected...

4. sicc

sicc Well-Known Member

i used 220 as an example. in reality the fan does not come on until 222 ish, cool down by 225ish.

here is the problem, when i let them idle in the garage here they should get up to fan temp and cool down, rinse repeat all day long.. the problem 600 gets up to fan temp but does not cool. i dont feel like it is circulating fluid but not sure how to verify. I can buy a new pump assembly but i cant return that if it is not the problem.

5. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

maybe try a lower temp fan switch? relatively cheap and simple try or wire a manual switch parallel?

6. mike-guy

mike-guy Well-Known Member

Lets back track. When did it start doing this? I know you said you are confident it's not an air bubble but if it was running normal and then you flushed the system or something and it began I'd really think it's an air bubble. I've never had a problem with min e (same bike) but I know people that have struggled hard getting them out. For some reason I'm thinking it has a air bleeder on top of the thermostat housing on the inside/back of the block? Might be worth cracking that open and letting it purge while it runs. Going to be a mess though.

7. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

Swap radiator caps and retest.

badmoon692008 likes this.
  8. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

I was gonna say, did you pressure test the system and cap?

Also you can send the ECU to get reflashed to lower the temp the fan comes on to 200 instead of 220.

9. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

I would start with a thermostat and test the cap.

10. sicc

sicc Well-Known Member

swapped caps just now, no change. fan comes on, temps slows but continues to climb. i will order up a thermostat and will try to bleed air when i replace it.

i first noticed a problem about 2 years ago when i was riding around montana. i had to stop mid trip because unless i was going 80mph or keeping the RPMs up high it would climb. i flushed it water then and returned home. about halfway home it started acting OK so i rode it for another couple days and it seemed fine. i flushed it again when i got home.

since then my girlfriend has been riding it exclusively at the track. she said this last race round the bike was feeling shitty, however it may have been running hot all this time. i asked her what the temp readings have been lately and she said "i dont look at that while im riding." i swear, womenz and bikez.

11. sicc

sicc Well-Known Member

popped in a new thermostat this evening, that seemed to do the trick. ran it thru 2 fan cycles, temp dropped as expected. let it sit for an hour and ran again, still good. bought a new rad cap for good measure.

thanks for the tips fellas.

badmoon692008 and Kyle Brosius like this.