1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

our national debt?

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by Robby-Bobby, Aug 26, 2010.

1. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

Stimulus Money:

Our small city received a couple hundred thousand to help business and invigorate the local economy. City was to decide who gets it. Two of the three winners were start ups that I doubt will be open in a year. The other was to build on (expand seating) to an existing restaurant. The build on effectively evicts one business from the building (dance studio). Interesting that the building is owned by the city.

Just add this burnt money to the tab.:up:

2. BigBird

BigBird blah

3. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

What should he have done instead?

4. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

Donald Trump signs the budget: TRUMP ADDS TRILLIONS TO THE NATIONAL DEBT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Donald Trump vetoes the budget: TRUMP REFUSES TO FUND MEDICAID, MEDICARE, AND SOCIAL SECURITY!!!!!!!!!!!

badmoon692008 and ducnut like this.
  5. 50Joe

50Joe Registered User

This chart is just the discretionary spending of the total budget. This does not include mandatory spending. It is estimated we spend 9 to 10 times what Russia does on military and roughly 3 to 4 times what China spends on military. Sure seems like the military industrial complex is the tail that wags the dog. Sick a team of six sigma lean experts on the military waste and I bet the spending could be cut in half. Easily.
    [​IMG]

SuddenBraking, ducnut and R1Racer99 like this.
  6. 50Joe

50Joe Registered User

Just for reference in case anyone wants to know. We are not at the mercy of foreign governments when it comes to our national debt. At least not yet anyways. I consider our debt to all foreign countries except China to be inconsequential in order to keep their asses safe.
    [​IMG]

sheepofblue likes this.
  7. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

Trick question which slices are Constitutionally mandated? Of the 'non' discretionary which are in the Constitution. I am sure you will go on about general welfare but I am asking which are spelled out as obligation directly? I see 3 for sure.

8. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

As to the debt in addition to our government (SSI IOUs for instance) and foreign governments there are bond holders here and abroad. For instance look into Bond Funds and you will find Treasury based ones.

The big thing I find disturbing about the topic is few ever talk of the current interest load. Which in 2018 was 389 BILLION! This number is now more than 50% of defense that liberals love to whine about. It would fund Education, VA, Homeland, Energy, State, HUD and NASA with change leftover. Oh and the current budget blowout was aided and abetted by the Republican Party INCLUDING OMB.

9. 50Joe

50Joe Registered User

Ooooh, that is a trick question indeed. I put that specific chart up because it is the discretionary portion of the budget so my assumption is none of it is constitutionally mandated.

10. 50Joe

50Joe Registered User

Totally agree with this. Both parties have been massively fiscally irresponsible for decades. Republicans just like to say they are responsible and then blame the Dems.

TurboBlew likes this.
  11. auminer

It's in the first fuckin sentence of the gotdamn preamble... """""provide for the common defense""""".

Try again, OMB!

12. 50Joe

50Joe Registered User

Whatever. :rolleyes: Since you are oh so smart, prove to me what is constitutionally mandated spending. Oh, here's the rest of the preamble for ya:

We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.

Love the OMB at the end of your comment. Especially since I posted nothing derogatory towards 45. Can you even have one unbiased post once in awhile????

Maybe you meant OMB to mean Office of Management and Budget from where my data came from. In that case I apologize in advance. But, I highly doubt you meant that.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2019
  13. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

I was always baffled at how "Gov't" accounting worked...
    Also the 61% military spending seems kind of high... since they typically buy goods/services from the lowest bidder.
    And rolling back military spending 11% would give every other sector an additional percentage point of operating budget.

14. TXFZ1

TXFZ1 Well-Known Member

Oh FFS, you damn repubs keep talking like a sovereign nation is a good thing and then blame the dems when they want to give it away for free! :D

15. 50Joe

50Joe Registered User

That chart isn't the total budget. Just the discretionary spending portion of the budget. The 61% military is 61% of just discretionary spending.

16. auminer

Sorry... it's my white privilege racist misogyny talking. I'll try and do better!

17. 50Joe

50Joe Registered User

Current Federal Mandatory spending information:
    Mandatory spending is estimated to be $2.841 trillion for FY 2020. The two largest mandatory programs are Social Security and Medicare. That's 60% of all federal spending. It's almost three times more than the military budget.

Congress established mandatory programs under so-called authorization laws. These laws also mandated that Congress must appropriate whatever funds are needed to keep the programs running. The mandatory portion of the U.S. budget estimates how much it will cost to fulfill these authorization laws. These estimates are made by the Office of Management and Budget.

Congress can only reduce the funding for these programs by changing the authorization law itself. That requires a 60-vote majority in the Senate to pass. For example, Congress amended the Social Security Act to create Medicare. For this reason, mandatory programs are outside the annual budget process that governs discretionary spending. Since it is so difficult to change mandatory spending, it is not part of the discretionary fiscal policy.

https://www.thebalance.com/current-federal-mandatory-spending-3305772

18. 50Joe

50Joe Registered User

19. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

thats my point... the discretionary 100% target is not "fixed". The military spending could be 61 or 64 or 58...

50Joe likes this.
  20. GRH

GRH Well-Known Member

Where’s the line between what’s defense and what’s offense?

SuddenBraking likes this.