1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ot: good gift idea for a photographer...

Discussion in 'General' started by BiZ, Oct 20, 2009.

1. BiZ

BiZ a matter of weight ratios

I have a friend who's an avid photographer, and need to get 'em something for their birthday. I don't really have a budget. I just want it to be a kick ass gift. I know they have a Canon. I believe a 40D. I'd like to get a whup ass lens, but I don't know what she already has. I know she needs/needed something for distant action stuff. But getting a lens would be a gamble, and require me to trick her into telling me what she has without giving away that I'm looking into getting a lens. And I'm not very tricky.

Thoughts and/or suggestions appreciated.

2. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Memory cards or external drives?

3. BiZ

I thought about that, but that seems to easy. There has to at least be the appearance of effort. :P

4. Strick

Strick Good to be king

Unless you are trying for the score a good long lens is going to be pricey, anywhere from $600 to $8K. I guess that depends on her hotness, post a picture and I will give you some ideas. :D

5. tommyd273

tommyd273 Well-Known Member

Why does it need to be photo something? Make an event of something. I once gave a two up ride in a glider as a gift. I never got around to a balloon ride but its always been a thought.

6. BiZ

It's my step sister. And, let's just say, a two up glider ride would end up in a lot of downward circles in only one direction being flown. She's a nice person though, and I owe her a lot.

So no one has any recommendations for camera related gear? Good tripods or unipod (whatever)? Kick ass gear bags? A decent lens for taking action shots while standing along the fence at T2 at Beaver Run?

Aside from a lens the size of titan missle, what would impress a photographer?

7. rugbymook

rugbymook Under Construction

Sean,
    You could drop Ray (photog at BeaveRun "SBimage" a quick email and ask him. He's a great guy and could probably help with some suggestions.

raymondbradlau "at" earthlink.net

8. 82Airborne

82Airborne Well-Known Member

The best gift for a Photographer is Photoshop CS4 or if they have it, get Photoshop Elements, with a Tutorial book to show them how to use it and touch up their photos. I'm sure they will love it. You might want to look into Photoshop Lightroom too.

www.adobe.com

Just look for Photoshop

9. Strick

Strick Good to be king

Bags and stuff like that are nice but need to be picked out by the user IMO.

Is taking pictures of you at the track the only thing she shoots?

A 70-200 L series lens is a great all around lens and if you can get close to the action it is long enough, espicailly with a converter. I have a 100-400 L and that does pretty good also. For real good stuff a 300 f2.8 or maybe a 500 f4 would be a killer lens, they are about $4k and $7K.

10. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Do you have a budget?

11. Strick

Strick Good to be king

Yeah, good software would be cool. Even Adobe Lightroom and a Photoshop class would be real good.

If she likes portrait stuff and studio work then a good lighting kit would be awesome to have.

12. Spyderchick

Spyderchick Leather Goddess

:stupid:

Damn, I found something we can agree on.:D

I hate it when that happens.

13. BiZ

She does some studio work. Weddings and stuff too. She only recently started shooting action stuff (me at the track). And she mentioned at the time that she didn't have the ideal gear for that sort of stuff. But the pictures she took all came out pretty good, at least by my eye. She mentioned she had to do some stuff in PS to get them to look "right", but that could just be the anal photog talking.

I like the lighting and software idea. I know some people she's worked with, so I can ask them what she has lighting wise. Thanks for the info on the lenses! I'll see what I can stomach.

14. frackadelic

frackadelic Buddha Stalin is Chronic

Photoshop is an excellent idea. :up:

15. Cuddles de Sade

Cuddles de Sade AnACREE in the UK!!!

OBJECTION, your Honor!!!...the Defendant is completely tricky and this clever ploy to get us all to help him shows his nefarious core.

+1 on Photoshop.

16. knuckledragger

knuckledragger Well-Known Member

If she's getting into shooting action stuff a monopod is a great gift and vital to shooting sports, after a good long lens.

Manfrotto or Gitzo is the best out there and for even more bling factor get one in carbon fiber.

Here are some to chose from: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?ci=397&N=4294539191+4291428784+4291348219+4294950354

Gitzos are $250-300 or you can get the Manfrottos for around $200.

Anything in aluminum is gonna be around $100.

I tend to like the Manfrottos because of their quick release and adjustments.

Cheers,
    D

17. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

For something not all that expensive, but interesting, I'd suggest a lensbaby. She could certainly use it during a wedding once in awhile.
    http://www.lensbaby.com/

18. Strick

Strick Good to be king

Lensbaby would be kinda cool.

19. Cannoli

Cannoli Typical Uccio

A decent tripod or tripod head is always nice. Pricey but nice.

20. brand-o

brand-o Well-Known Member

That's kickass.