1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Orange County Ca. Liberal policies create a shithole

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by G 97, Jan 15, 2018.

1. Orvis

Orvis Well-Known Member

We do see that happen rather often if we look for it. People helping people. A person would have to have a heart of stone to not feel really good about themselves when they volunteer their time and efforts to helping people that cannot help themselves. I think that the only real issue that arises from helping others is that so many of the more liberal minded leaders seem to think that the help given should be mandated by government. It's kind of like a person walking down the street, and upon seeing a person sitting on the sidewalk selling pencils, he buys some pencils while a block further down the street he meets a guy holding a handful of pencils who boldly addresses him and demands that he buy all the pencils. Those helpful attitudes change rapidly when someone is forcing everyone to be helpful.

2. Orvis

Orvis Well-Known Member

Let's not lump all the homeless into the group for the same reasons. Many homeless, while fully able to work at some menial job, refuse to do so because of the money involved. Society, in all it's infinite wisdom, has put into place so many convoluted rules that many homeless can now make more money by being on welfare than they would make if they took a minimum wage job.
    To solve the homeless issue there will have to be changes made starting with the completely irrational rules and regulations being placed on society.
    On the other side of the coin, there are a lot of homeless people that simply don't know how to drag themselves back into the mainstream of society. Among those are the people that had families, jobs, and a decent life that, due to circumstances beyond their control, all of it was lost because of "rules and regulations." Many of them have simply given up on life and simply exist.

3. Orvis

Orvis Well-Known Member

On this I will agree with you. If we think back years (decades?) we have been doing the same damn thing with the homeless. Over and over. The homeless camps grow until the little old ladies driving their BMWs start to complain, then LE moves in, crashes the camps, then tells the homeless to "move on." A homeless person, found sleeping in the only warm spot that he can find on a public street, because the shelters are full, is arrested for vagrancy, kept in jail for a few days, assessed a fine (which he cannot pay) then turned loose back onto the streets. Over and over.
    What's the answer? Where do we go from here? It's a very complex issue that will require a hell of a lot more effort than has been expended at this point. :(

4. Orvis

Orvis Well-Known Member

Why hell. I didn't know that it was that simple. Call Washington. They need to know this information. :)

5. Captain Morgan

Captain Morgan Well-Known Member

9pp
    Very true, wish all the lost homeless people the best.

6. CausticYarn

CausticYarn Well-Known Member

As a deterrent. It really isn’t :)

7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Cool, just wanted to get on the right subject. :D

There is nothing that will work as a deterrent when being warm/dry/fed isn't enough.

8. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

Don't get snarky, I didn't say it would solve the whole problem, but not being arrested is actually a useful and common motivator that society uses in relation to all manner of negative human behaviors.

9. lrrs517

lrrs517 Internet Investigative Officer

10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I'd make money renting out restaurant property just outside the city limits :D

I looked at the map - the only thing there is UC Davis, which is not in the city limits and I'd bet produces more garbage than the city restaurants do :crackup: What a bunch of maroons.

11. Clay

Clay Well-Known Member

There's a restaurant in Durham that uses cardboard based straws. Once you get past the feel, they do the job just fine. 100% biodegradable. No idea why stuff like that doesn't catch on.

12. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Paper straws aren't new. They used wax coated paper when I was in elem. school. Milk was in coated cardboard cartons.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2018
  13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

:stupid:

They're not used because they cost more is my guess. I find it hilarious that they think straws will make any difference at all in their trash amounts.

14. Clay

Clay Well-Known Member

I'm quite sure they do. Since when has cost ever been an issue with any politician in Cali? LOL

15. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I was talking about the restaurants end of things, the pols wouldn't care if they used paper, they'd still make the idiotic law :D

16. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

This reminds me of that actor who was going to send out bass boats with some cockamamie device he'd invented to clean up the Deepwater Horizon spill. These boats could process like 200 gallons of water a day, but they really thought that they were going to make a real difference in the 100-something thousand square mile contaminated zone.

Restaurant straws probably make up about one brazillionth of a percent of the waste stream in California, but by all means, yes, let's give people 6 months in jail for passing them out indiscriminately. :rolleyes:

17. kangasj

kangasj Banned

18. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

19. blkduc

blkduc no time for jibba jabba

Sweden needs common sense hand grenade reform laws...for the children!

20. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

badmoon692008 likes this.