1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Oops...more 'green' energy BS

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by ChemGuy, Jan 14, 2020.

1. sdg

sdg *

Everybody know we get lime by burning coal, yes?

2. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

I've been lucky to do some contract work at ZF axle.

They burn a fuckton of natural gas

I don't know shit about coal powered plants.....but I do know quite a few here have converted to natural gas.

sdg likes this.
  3. Montoya

Montoya Well-Known Member

I did not, nor would I. There are multiple types of scrubbers and a good portion of those in operation return their products to the bottom ash collection system, which is ground up and sluiced to the coal ash dewatering pond along with the traditional bottom ash. I also didn’t include all of the other, immense amount of non-recycleable waste that a traditional coal plant utilizes. I was really fortunate to be in the right time, right place, and with the right mentors in the industry. Was able to work on some of the first modern scrubber systems, that are now the gold standard of the industry and even some more advanced protypes that proved to just not be economical. Of course, we were promptly sued by the EPA, eyeroll. I’m actually an advocate of coal, when used with a modern designed power plant. Unfortunately, even legacy coal plants struggle to compete with natural gas plants now, and we’re regularly seeing them either shuttered for economic reasons or converted to gas. We haven’t seen a real utility scale coal plant built in years, nor do I expect one to be built any time in the foreseeable future. Economics beat the liberals, when it came to ending our usage of coal.

sdg likes this.
  4. sdg

sdg *

You mean fracking, which is arguable. I've spent some time with a couple guys with that one power plant design consultant. Not impressed.