1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Oops: I used loctite instead of anti-sieze

Discussion in 'Tech' started by DmanSlam, Mar 26, 2020.

1. DmanSlam

DmanSlam Well-Known Member

I have a 2006 gixxer 600 track bike and installed frame sliders and GBRacing engine covers. I started off using "blue" loctite. I noticed a lack of previous loctite residue and, so, like any normal guy would do, I (then) read the service manual and discovered I should be using anti-sieze for non-metal to aluminum contact threads. So, now, I have a 50/50 application of loctite and anti-sieze on the affected bolts.

Questions:
    1) should I remove and clean the male bolts which have loctite on them?
    2) HOW do I (or should I) clean the internal thread holes in the engine areas?

Thanks.

2. kman0066

kman0066 Well-Known Member

No, you're fine. Loctite will help prevent corrosion as well, it's just going to make removal more difficult. Wouldn't bother with the anti-seize till next reinstall.

Wait, a 50/50 mixture...was the loctite cured when you added the anti-seize? If you clean off the bolts (wire brush or chemicals), you can reinstall and don't worry about the holes, loctite binds to steel (bolts) better than aluminum (block), so not much should be on it. If you wanted to be super clean, you could use a proper sized thread tap to VERY carefully try and clean out the threads, but you'll probably do more harm than good by breaking off pieces of gunk into your engine on the through holes. If you're concerned about it all, you can just clean the bolts and reinstall, and sleep soundly.

K51000 likes this.
  3. DmanSlam

Thanks @kman0066

By 50/50, I meant the first few bolts I used loctite. Then, for the rest of the bolts, I used anti-sieze. I'll leave well enough alone for now. Thanks for the feedback.

Now, I just need a reason to ride. Who'd of thought the one season I planned a budget for several racing schools and two forms of racing, I'm on "ice".

4. borislav

borislav Well-Known Member

Blue loctite is fine, it is serviceable (locking properties but made to be removed and reinstaled).
    I use it on many of my bolts including ones you mentioned without any problems. If by any chance you have issues to loosen the bolt, use your hairdryer and heat the bolt for few minutes and voila.

5. DmanSlam

Thanks @borislav ... That's a helpful tip in case I encounter that situation.

6. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

I have actually had to resort to a propane torch to get some red loctite brake rotor bolts out. They were not budging without some serious heat. As stated above, a hair dryer should be good for the blue stuff but generally you don't even need that.

7. borislav

borislav Well-Known Member

You shouldn't use red (high strength) loctite for brake rotors bolts, medium straight high heat loctite should be used for rotor bolts.

8. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

Agreed, but I wasn't the installer, just the remover.:D

9. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

Yes loctite will keep corrosion at bay. Id rather use that because there are a few different amti siezes for different metals.

10. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

Now if you had the lights off and grabbed the Icy Hot when you thought you were grabbing the lube...THEN you got problems!

11. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Same year bike I used anti seize on the frame sliders. Smart move because without knowing the grade or material of the slider bolt it will Make Sweet Love with the frame/engine. With this particular model less careful people have stripped those holes particularly the left side for that reason.

Keep check on them, I've also seen them get loose over time.

TLDR: Use anti seize because the slider bolts are unknown quantity. Check tightness once in a while.

12. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

Thats what loctite is for.